I Just Watched (Films)

Small Screen. Bigger Screen.
Alan

Re: I Just Watched (Films)

Post by Alan » Tue Nov 22, 2022 11:46 am

A man who could tell more truth and eat fewer pies.

Sly Boots
Bar Staff

Post by Sly Boots » Tue Nov 22, 2022 12:21 pm

Ooh!

Animalmother
Local

Post by Animalmother » Tue Nov 22, 2022 12:36 pm

Ooh indeed

If they'd filmed it over Covid they could have had empty city streets for free...

Solitaire

Post by Solitaire » Sat Nov 26, 2022 7:12 am

Underworld & Underworld: Evolution

Should more easily be titled Underworld Parts I & II. Except for a bit of myth-building and deception at the beginning of U:E, it's a story told in two movie releases.

I honestly can't find any fault of consequence with these. I've watched them over half a dozen times, maybe over ten times I'm not even sure anymore. I come back to these almost as a comfort, nowadays. One can watch these with lazy eyes and distractions, and get a decent comic book horror movie out of it. Yeah, okay, I get it, the vampires are mostly snooty and fey, traipsing about in their brocade vests and leather jackets, smoking and drinking blood from crystal chalices (excepting the Death Dealers), and the Lycans are brutal bastards living in underground sewers and such. But there's so much more going on. I catch something new at every watching. There's a depth to the story-telling that demands complete attention to what is being said and done, and being shown, in order to get the most out of it. As an example from me:
Spoiler
It wasn't until about the third time watching that I understood, finally, why Markus is a hybrid when he awakens. Michael says it to Selene after their first confrontation with Markus in Part II, but I couldn't for the life of me figure out why he was a hybrid. But of course! Markus was awakened by the blood of the oddball scientist Lycan; I just didn't put it together properly.
There's several reasons for my assertion. One is that there's just so much going on - the entire mythologies of the vampires and Lycans are being built from scratch. Forget what you think you know about these creatures because these are the 'Underworld' versions. Another reason is that there are intentional misleads and red herrings built into the plot and the dialog, and most are not handed over on a silver platter, so to speak. The viewer takes everything at face value at their own peril... Yet another is the actual world-building going on as the stories progress. New characters emerge that both explain some of the things that have occurred, and give rise to new possibilities for the protagonists and antagonists.

Two thumbs up from me on this duo.
If Edwin's being an Edwin does he call himself an Edwin?

Rusty

Post by Rusty » Sat Nov 26, 2022 9:07 am

Black Adam

Oh dear. This is a terrible super hero movie. Basically this is Superman but not. His powers wax and wane depending on plot devices. I love the Rock but whilst he looked the part his usual humorous asides and snappy comebacks just didn't fit the character.

The 'Good guys' absolutely wreaked the city. I'm sure they must have killed thousands but no mention was made of the devastation. They then proceed to lecture people about right and wrong.

Has the Justice Society been in any other movie? I had no connection to the second rate members of it.

Some of the close up CGI fight scenes were terrible but n the whole it looked nice.
-- To be completed at some point --

Snowy
Local

Post by Snowy » Sun Nov 27, 2022 1:09 am

Solitaire wrote:
Sat Nov 26, 2022 7:12 am
Underworld & Underworld: Evolution

Should more easily be titled Underworld Parts I & II. Except for a bit of myth-building and deception at the beginning of U:E, it's a story told in two movie releases.

I honestly can't find any fault of consequence with these. I've watched them over half a dozen times, maybe over ten times I'm not even sure anymore. I come back to these almost as a comfort, nowadays. One can watch these with lazy eyes and distractions, and get a decent comic book horror movie out of it. Yeah, okay, I get it, the vampires are mostly snooty and fey, traipsing about in their brocade vests and leather jackets, smoking and drinking blood from crystal chalices (excepting the Death Dealers), and the Lycans are brutal bastards living in underground sewers and such. But there's so much more going on. I catch something new at every watching. There's a depth to the story-telling that demands complete attention to what is being said and done, and being shown, in order to get the most out of it. As an example from me:
Spoiler
It wasn't until about the third time watching that I understood, finally, why Markus is a hybrid when he awakens. Michael says it to Selene after their first confrontation with Markus in Part II, but I couldn't for the life of me figure out why he was a hybrid. But of course! Markus was awakened by the blood of the oddball scientist Lycan; I just didn't put it together properly.
There's several reasons for my assertion. One is that there's just so much going on - the entire mythologies of the vampires and Lycans are being built from scratch. Forget what you think you know about these creatures because these are the 'Underworld' versions. Another reason is that there are intentional misleads and red herrings built into the plot and the dialog, and most are not handed over on a silver platter, so to speak. The viewer takes everything at face value at their own peril... Yet another is the actual world-building going on as the stories progress. New characters emerge that both explain some of the things that have occurred, and give rise to new possibilities for the protagonists and antagonists.

Two thumbs up from me on this duo.
Cheers mate, never seen them, will look them up.
RCHD wrote:Snowy is my favourite. He's a metal God.
08/10/2003 - 17/08/2018
10501 :-({|=

Rusty

Post by Rusty » Sun Nov 27, 2022 10:10 am

Venom, let there be carnage

I thought I was over superhero films. I actually laughed out loud several times watching this. Tom Hardy is pretty funny when he wants to be. Venom is very much the star of the show.
He has some depth to him, unlike Carnage.

Stephen Graham as a (New York?) cop has a hilarious American accent. I swear I can occasionally hear his Liverpudlian accent coming out.

I think I could easily just watch a whole film of Tom Hardy struggling with an alien symbiote inside him instead of a superhero jaunt.
-- To be completed at some point --

Raid
Local

Post by Raid » Sun Nov 27, 2022 10:39 am

Palm Springs

This is a pretty good time loop story that distils the concept down to the most entertaining bits; how the characters deal with their strange reality. It doesn't bother trying to explain anything, it just happens. It's not laugh out loud funny, but Andy Samberg playing basically the same character he does in Brooklyn Nine-Nine in a very different setting is certainly fun.

Raid
Local

Post by Raid » Sat Dec 10, 2022 8:44 pm

Birds of Prey (and the fantabulous emancipation of one Harley Quinn)
Not bad. I don't know if this is meant as a sequel to the much maligned first Suicide Squad film or its own thing, but it's a reaonably entertaining action film. I do quite enjoy Margot Robbie as Harley, but it doesn't feel much like a superhero film, as there's just a single superpower on display.

All the Money in the World
Perhaps this is a good film, I'm not sure, I turned it off after just under half of its runtime. I think in 2022, a film about an uncaring oil-tycoon billionaire's grandson being ransomed is a pretty hard sell, and I just could not have cared less about the stakes, so it just didn't grab me at all.

Alan

Post by Alan » Mon Dec 19, 2022 12:35 pm

Vampires Kiss 1989
My better half hadnt seen this so.... She spend the first hour saying "is this the worst film we've ever watched" and finished by rating it higher in her Letterboxed than Casablanca ¬_¬ Which, imho is the absolute perfect watch curve of Vampires Kiss.

Alan wrote:
Sun Nov 20, 2022 12:49 am
The Silencers (1966)
So in the 60’s Dean Martin had a run of 4 movies that are basically him being James Bond and if the first one is anything to go by they are fantastic! Over the top womanising, daft gadgets, ridiculous plot - it has it all. We laughed our way through the whole thing, it’s fun times!

I guess the copyright has expired because you too can have the pleasure of watching it on YouTube!

The bit with the bed and the pool at the start :lol:
We have watched them all now;
Murderers' Row (1966)
The Ambushers (1967)
The Wrecking Crew (1969)
They are all amazing! Ridiculous, over the top and funny. It ends bittersweet though. The "Helm girl" in The Wrecking Crew is Sharon Tate and she was going to be the first Helm girl to continue her role in the following movie until the Manson family killed her and as a result Dean Martin refused to do any more movies in the series. One more reason Charles Manson is a dweeby little shit.

Sly Boots
Bar Staff

Post by Sly Boots » Mon Dec 19, 2022 12:44 pm

Is that the infamous Nic Cage one? Where did you find it? Was looking for it a while back and couldn't find it anywhere...

Alan

Post by Alan » Mon Dec 19, 2022 12:50 pm

Sly Boots wrote:
Mon Dec 19, 2022 12:44 pm
Is that the infamous Nic Cage one? Where did you find it? Was looking for it a while back and couldn't find it anywhere...
Its on Amazon Video under the Freevee thing. I dont think you need Prime as its supposed to have advert breaks but we didn't get a single one for some reason. No adblock or anything since we just used the TV app. Its absolutely worth a watch though, by the end they clearly just said "release the Nick Cage".
Last edited by Alan on Mon Dec 19, 2022 1:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Sly Boots
Bar Staff

Post by Sly Boots » Mon Dec 19, 2022 1:04 pm

Cool, I'll look there

Sly Boots
Bar Staff

Post by Sly Boots » Mon Dec 19, 2022 9:44 pm

Alan wrote:
Mon Dec 19, 2022 12:50 pm
Sly Boots wrote:
Mon Dec 19, 2022 12:44 pm
Its on Amazon Video under the Freevee thing. I dont think you need Prime as its supposed to have advert breaks but we didn't get a single one for some reason. No adblock or anything since we just used the TV app. Its absolutely worth a watch though, by the end they clearly just said "release the Nick Cage".
WTF did I just watch :lol:

I like to think Cage didn't realise the cameras were even rolling for the second half of the film lol

No ads for me either, weirdly.

ManBearSquid

Post by ManBearSquid » Mon Dec 19, 2022 11:04 pm

A masterpiece. You watched a masterpiece.