I Just Watched (Films)

Small Screen. Bigger Screen.
Snowy
Local

Re: I Just Watched (Films)

Post by Snowy » Wed Dec 04, 2019 6:39 pm

I saw that it was up on Netflix and suggested to the wife we watch it. "It is apparently very long and very boring" was her response. One for me another day then maybe :lol:
RCHD wrote:Snowy is my favourite. He's a metal God.
08/10/2003 - 17/08/2018
10501 :-({|=

Achtung Englander

Post by Achtung Englander » Sun Dec 08, 2019 1:12 pm

:D

Oh that sounds soo familiar

I used to hold out on films and TV shows with the intention of seeing it with my Emma, but after so many "I'm not in the mood" to "its a bit late for a film" to "can I watch something that is funny"....I just watch this stuff on my own when I can and have zero guilt.
Games playing : Bioshock (Remastered) / Total War Britannia / Dirt 4

Snowy
Local

Post by Snowy » Sun Dec 08, 2019 2:12 pm

I watched Once upon a time in Hollywood last night. What a disappointment, it was more of a film about TV and cinema in the 60s than anything else and not a very interesting one.
Spoiler
I was interested because it had the Manson family in it, but Charles Manson appears for about 30 seconds, and Sharon Tate does not get murdered, completely at odds with history.
I just don't get Tarantino films any more. I also got annoyed with his portrayal of Bruce Lee, no wonder Lee's family were so incensed, Tarantino made him look like a total bell-end.
08/10/2003 - 17/08/2018

Hatredsheart

Post by Hatredsheart » Sun Dec 08, 2019 6:42 pm

Stormbringer wrote:
Wed Dec 04, 2019 12:37 pm
Started watching The Irishman on Netflix last night. It's very long! I watched the first half (or perhaps third?) of it last night. Very good acting and cinematography and very slick editing overall. However, I found the story almost impossible to follow. It seems to require that one already understands the history of America in the 1950s and 60s and also that one understands how mafia families worked and operated at the time. Neither of which I do.
I really enjoyed it, the cgi de-ageing was nowhere near as bad as I'd imagined.
Goodfellas would be a good watch before this, great at explaining how the mob hierarchy and customs worked. I can totally see how the constant jumping back and forth between the different time periods would make the plot hard to follow though.
Formerly Dr@gon-UK, but still the Forum Fossil

𝕯𝖔𝖓'𝖙 𝖋𝖊𝖆𝖗 𝕿𝖍𝖊 𝕽𝖊𝖆𝖕𝖊𝖗

Achtung Englander

Post by Achtung Englander » Mon Dec 09, 2019 8:33 pm

Snowy wrote:
Sun Dec 08, 2019 2:12 pm
I watched Once upon a time in Hollywood last night. What a disappointment, it was more of a film about TV and cinema in the 60s than anything else and not a very interesting one.
Spoiler
I was interested because it had the Manson family in it, but Charles Manson appears for about 30 seconds, and Sharon Tate does not get murdered, completely at odds with history.
I just don't get Tarantino films any more. I also got annoyed with his portrayal of Bruce Lee, no wonder Lee's family were so incensed, Tarantino made him look like a total bell-end.
yep. I left the cinema pretty deflated

Achtung Englander

Post by Achtung Englander » Thu Dec 12, 2019 4:16 pm

A Private War

A really sad film about Marie Colvin. I read some parts of the film were made up, but I think the film addressed the horror of war journalism and the PTSD it causes. The fact she was addicted to it is fascinating. Great acting.

7/10

Sly Boots
Bar Staff

Post by Sly Boots » Fri Dec 13, 2019 6:42 pm

Just watched Klaus on Netflix with our kids. Very enjoyable, hand-drawn animation. If you watch a Christmas film with your nippers or young relatives this year, you could do a lot worse than this one.

Stormbringer
Rad Dad

Post by Stormbringer » Fri Dec 13, 2019 10:05 pm

I was thinking of trying that out with my kids this weekend.
Between tedium and fright
Such is the song of the nether world
The hissing of rats
And the jarring chants of angels

Alan

Post by Alan » Mon Dec 16, 2019 4:56 pm

Black Christmas

The worst film we’ve seen in a long time.

It thinks it’s feminist, me too, woke horror but it’s so off base that it actually makes it all seem like a joke and not one it’s in on. I think it’s an 80 odd minute run time but it feels longer than Kill Bill, Booth parts.
A man who could tell more truth and eat fewer pies.

Animalmother
Local

Post by Animalmother » Tue Dec 24, 2019 7:31 pm

Death of Stalin

A very farcical take on the days before and after the death of Stalin. It's hilarious I must say with brilliant performances. General Zhukov with a thick Yorkshire accent is never not funny :lol:

It's on Netflix, well worth a look.

Sly Boots
Bar Staff

Post by Sly Boots » Tue Dec 24, 2019 8:20 pm

Watched it some months ago, loved it.

Animalmother
Local

Post by Animalmother » Wed Dec 25, 2019 11:25 pm

The Raid 2
150 minutes of the most intense and inventive shit kicking ever to grace a screen. There is virtually nothing in this film that is not used to pummel the living fuck out of someone, be it a claw hammer, broom handle, plastic bottle, car door, corner of a table, toilet bowl or floppy stick. In-fucking-tense.

Animalmother
Local

Post by Animalmother » Sat Dec 28, 2019 10:53 pm

Destroyer

A pretty bland crime thriller about a cop looking for revenge 17 years after an undercover job goes tits up. Nicole Kidman has weird prosthetics on her face that make her look like Todd Howard from Bethesda. I think it was an attempt at making one of those "we made the beautiful actress kinda ugly looking, we're so brave" films that win Oscars. Its not all bad and Kidman is actually very good, it's just dull.

Ready or Not

That was fucking excellent! :P

Animalmother
Local

Post by Animalmother » Thu Jan 02, 2020 12:47 pm

Cause I'm still on my holidays I've feck all to do but watch films. Humble brag.. :P

John Wick 3
Saw it in cinema and loved it, rewatched on Netflix and still love it. It gallops along from one gun battle to the next and manages to be different every time. The addition of dogs as weapons is genius.

Hellboy 2019
Ufff, what a turd. Bad cgi, terrible dialogue and ropey acting make it a chore to watch. On the upside it has fantastic gore, some good fights and a couple of cool monsters near the end. Overall one to avoid.

Snowy
Local

Post by Snowy » Fri Jan 03, 2020 9:28 am

Watched a few recently:

Joker was utterly brilliant. A bleak, dark performance from Joachim Phoenix but what a fabulous film.

Knives Out surprised me, I am not a murder mystery fan usually but it was really good fun. Kept me guessing as the film went on, the A-list cast over-acted their socks off and Daniel Craig as the cigar-smoking, Kentucky-drawling investigator was great. Good plot, good cast, good film.

Zombieland Double-Tap was exactly what I expected, very silly and a lot of fun. Made me laugh throughout.

Only Lords of Chaos left to watch now (of my little downloading spree), a film about the black metal band Mayhem forming and the murders and church burnings that followed. Funnily enough given my musical tastes, this wasn't really on my radar but a mate watched it and enjoyed it, so I bagged that too.
08/10/2003 - 17/08/2018