I Just Watched (Films)

Small Screen. Bigger Screen.
Achtung Englander

Re: I Just Watched (Films)

Post by Achtung Englander » Mon Jan 30, 2023 4:02 pm

Disconnect (Netflix)

An easy 9

One of the most powerful films I have seen about living in the internet world. Similar to Babel and Contagion, it follows 3 storylines that are very losley interconnected. The final scene when all 3 stories have a climatic ending on the same night is edge of the seat stuff. I loved it and you learn a lot from it.

The music from Max Richter is just sublime brilliance.
Games playing : Bioshock (Remastered) / Total War Britannia / Dirt 4

Alan

Post by Alan » Tue Jan 31, 2023 5:14 am

The Fabelmans
This really surprised me by being so extraordinarily bad. The acting is horrible, the dialogue is horrible, the near 3 hour run time is horrible and the characters are horrible and one dimensional. I loved how it started (not counting Basil Exposition from his dad about how cinema works) where the kid seeing the train crash from The Greatest Show On Earth and becomes obsessed with it but everything from there till a fucking fantastic short cameo near the end is just fucking horrrrrible. Yeah its supposed to be autobiographical but if Spielberg’s family every spouted any of the dialogue in there I'll eat my hat.

Everything Under Control
So we seen this poster and on the strength of that alone we booked the tickets. It didnt live up to the poster, she never rides a hog out of an explosion under gunfire but it is a batshit stupid film thats rather enjoyable! Its quite in the style of Happiness Of The Katakuris though not as good its still a weird thing worth watching.

M3GAN
There are one or two scenes that are decent (the ear was pretty funny) but other than that its pretty awful. I didnt hate it as much as I hated Childs Play reboot but its in the same family. The plot makes no sense and theres not enough inventive murder to make up for the stupidity of it all.
A man who could tell more truth and eat fewer pies.

Animalmother
Local

Post by Animalmother » Tue Jan 31, 2023 5:48 pm

The Banshees of Inisherin
Very funny and very dark, a Martin McDonagh film basically :lol:

Alan

Post by Alan » Wed Feb 01, 2023 3:41 am

Braw! Gleeson and Farrell are one of my favourite pairings, it’s a joy to watch them banter.

Animalmother
Local

Post by Animalmother » Wed Feb 01, 2023 12:34 pm

Alan wrote:
Wed Feb 01, 2023 3:41 am
Braw! Gleeson and Farrell are one of my favourite pairings, it’s a joy to watch them banter.
"The other day you spent 2 hours telling me about the things you found in your donkeys shite...2 hours" :lol:

Alan

Post by Alan » Wed Feb 01, 2023 2:57 pm

Tiny brown cock on 'im :lol:

Achtung Englander

Post by Achtung Englander » Wed Feb 01, 2023 3:50 pm

Quick round up:

Boiling Point (Netflix). 8/10. Very powerful film, exceptional film making with one-take shot (similar to Electricity, less so 1917). Let down by its sloppy ending.

The Menu (Disney+) 8/10. Great fun.

Smile 6/10. Very scary in parts. Relied too heavily on jump scares, it would have worked a lot better if it kept to a physiological horror like The Shining. Again another terrible ending.

Nope 5/10. Exellent first half, let down with a typical Hollywood second half. Disappointed. Could have been a lot better. I did like Get Out a lot, but I found Us to be rubbish. With this second disappointment, Jordan Peele is slowly transitioning into M. Night Shyamalan
Last edited by Achtung Englander on Thu Feb 02, 2023 1:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Achtung Englander

Post by Achtung Englander » Wed Feb 01, 2023 7:11 pm

What is the obsession for having 3 hour movies?So many movies now are 3 hours long, this is ridiculous.

Any film that is as long as The Godfather or Lawrence of Arabia has to be phenomenally good. I get the impression Directors think they are producing masterpieces, lazy or talentless editors and Studios indulging in the making them long, confusing that with quality.

Give me a 90 minute or 2 hour film anytime. It's coming to a point that if the film is 3 hours long (or just as long as 3 hours) I lose interest.
Last edited by Achtung Englander on Thu Feb 02, 2023 12:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Alan

Post by Alan » Wed Feb 01, 2023 9:43 pm

Unwelcome
Colm Meaney and goblins. It’s bloody great!

And it’s no much over 90mins ;)

Animalmother
Local

Post by Animalmother » Thu Feb 02, 2023 12:52 pm

Achtung Englander wrote:
Wed Feb 01, 2023 7:11 pm
What is the obsession for having 3 hour movies?So many movies now are 3 hours long, this is ridiculous.

Any film that is as long as The Godfather or Lawrence of Arabia has to be phenomenally good. I get the impression Directors think they are producing masterpieces, lazy or talentless editors and Studios indulging in the making them long, confusing that with quality.

Give me a 90 minute or 2 film anytime. It's coming to a point that if the film is 3 hours long or just as long as 3 hours I lose interest.
Pretty much the reason I gave up on the Marvel stuff, if this shit takes more than 2 hours to get through it's not worth it. The thoughts of sitting through Avatar 2 means I'm unlikely to watch it unless it comes to streaming and I can watch it over a few days.

Achtung Englander

Post by Achtung Englander » Thu Feb 02, 2023 4:56 pm

I don't blame you. My threshold is now 2 hours max.

arqueturus

Post by arqueturus » Fri Feb 03, 2023 9:07 am

I'll happily watch long films - 3 hours plus. It's up to the film to make it worthwhile sitting through though so in that respect, I can agree that lots of the Marvel films are far too long.

What I can't do, is binge through box sets. Maybe 2 episodes is the most I can do at once and this threshold reduces with repeated use. So 2 on a Monday, 2 on Tuesday, 1 on Wednesday and that point I need a few days break. Often if I try to binge anything I burnout and just never go back. Don't know how people do it.

Raid
Local

Post by Raid » Fri Feb 03, 2023 9:29 am

I'm similar in that I can watch a 3 hour film if it's good enough to warrant it, but it's rare that I'll actually put one on when I don't know if that's likely. I barely even noticed the length of Avengers: Endgame, Dune or The Batman. I've had The Irishman on my watch list since it released, but I'm not sure I'll ever want to actually watch a three and a half hour film.

Maturin

Post by Maturin » Fri Feb 03, 2023 10:17 am

I actually felt The Batman had a bunch of narrative issues and not enough story to stretch over the runtime. I was already starting to sigh heavily about 1h50mins into that when I knew there was over an hour still to go. :lol:

It seems to be the modern way of doing things though.

Wrathbone
Local

Post by Wrathbone » Fri Feb 03, 2023 11:05 am

Serena

A decent (if unexceptional) drama set in a 1929 North Carolina logging community that has the feel of a western. It's another Jennifer Lawrence and Bradley Cooper collaboration, with good performances, a story that kept my attention and an ending that's a little questionable.

It comes in under 2 hours too, which counts as a bonus. ;)

7/10