I Just Watched (Films)

Small Screen. Bigger Screen.
Mantis
Landlord

Re: I Just Watched (Films)

Post by Mantis » Fri Jan 17, 2020 2:41 pm

Running Man has an excellent theme tune too. It's up there with Arnie's greatest.

Wrathbone
Local

Post by Wrathbone » Fri Jan 17, 2020 9:44 pm

Rambo: Last Blood

Not as bad as I expected! It kept my attention for the whole 82 minutes, despite Stallone's slaughter of Mexico being limited to about 15 minutes. The fighting doesn't disappoint either - it's a proper old-school bloodbath.

7/10

Animalmother
Local

Post by Animalmother » Sat Jan 18, 2020 12:09 am

Clavicle :-&

Snowy
Local

Post by Snowy » Sat Jan 18, 2020 12:46 am

I hate going to the cinema because I almost always end up with people nearby who I want to kill. Thankfully the season of actors making wanky speeches is upon us, and thus the seven online seas are awash with screener booty ripe for the plunder!

EDIT: As a result of the above I watched 1917 yesterday and loved it. 10/10 from me.
RCHD wrote:Snowy is my favourite. He's a metal God.
08/10/2003 - 17/08/2018
10501 :-({|=

Achtung Englander

Post by Achtung Englander » Mon Jan 20, 2020 11:21 pm

Very cinematic. I recommend seeing it on the big screen as the impact will be lessened on TV. The production values looked great. Very little or no discernible CGI. It was great to see hundreds of extras all kitted out and above all it felt very real and authentic. The film did surprise me a lot with some of the plot decisions and where the story went. It has some of the best cinematography (thanks to Deakins) and probably one of the best uses of night flares ever. That was very Sam Mendes as he likes to film shadows. Great acting and superb direction

My only complaint was the over-use of music at the very end, it was not needed and I would have preferred if some scenes had no music at all, but that is just me.

8/10
Games playing : Bioshock (Remastered) / Total War Britannia / Dirt 4

Snowy
Local

Post by Snowy » Tue Jan 21, 2020 11:24 am

It was an especially poignant watch for me, as my paternal grandfather was a dispatch runner during WW1 that survived the Somme. My dad only found out by talking to other relatives, as my granddad never spoke about the war other than to say that Field Marshal Haig should have been shot for the amount of Brits he was responsible for slaughtering.
RCHD wrote:Snowy is my favourite. He's a metal God.
08/10/2003 - 17/08/2018
10501 :-({|=

Achtung Englander

Post by Achtung Englander » Mon Jan 27, 2020 10:56 am

American Animals

What an interesting film about a true-story heist. The concept of actors and the real-life people mingling in the film, telling the story from each point of view with very clever editing never gets old, but this then dropped around the half way mark when all the comedy and clever film making stops. The film than becomes a normal narrative about fuck ups and damage control. The talking heads in the second half is almost abandoned which made the first half so much fun. A very intriguing film nevertheless.
Spoiler
The fact that 4 highly intelligent young men could fuck up so badly beggars belief. They destroyed their lives over nothing and seriously did not think things through.
7/10

Alan

Post by Alan » Fri Jan 31, 2020 1:35 pm

Bad Boys For Life
Its more of that. Around Bad Boys 2 level of good, not as good as 1. 30mins too long.

The Grudge
I dont know how this got a cinema release or why Sam Raimi is letting then put his name to it like he directed it but it is utterly woeful. I cant think of one good thing.....

David Copperfield
Really enjoyed that! Great cast though I kind of wish Crispin Glover played Heep even if he is a bit old - Wishaw is great but hes no Glover. The casting didnt take race of the actors into account so white folk might have a black kid etc.. and I didnt actually realise it till I read something pointing it out. I'm woke as fuck.

Bombshell
Its mostly good but I feel like they should have kept their politics out of it. Dont get me wrong, I love a good Trump tweet but it felt like it encroached too much and should have stayed focused on the actual story.
A man who could tell more truth and eat fewer pies.

Wrathbone
Local

Post by Wrathbone » Sat Feb 01, 2020 10:06 am

Joker

Exceptional - it's rare that such a lauded film lives up to the hype. Joaquin Phoenix is one of the most diverse and engaging actors out there, and the way he teeters on that line between making you sympathise with Arthur (or at least his situation) and making you recoil at him, all the while keeping him believable as a person, is incredible.

Achtung Englander

Post by Achtung Englander » Wed Feb 05, 2020 1:20 pm

Bad Boys For Life
The Grudge
David Copperfield
Bombshell
out of curiosity are you on first name terms with the ticket guy and the popcorn girl :lol:
you see more new releases than Kermode

Alan

Post by Alan » Wed Feb 05, 2020 2:18 pm

Achtung Englander wrote:
Wed Feb 05, 2020 1:20 pm
Bad Boys For Life
The Grudge
David Copperfield
Bombshell
out of curiosity are you on first name terms with the ticket guy and the popcorn girl :lol:
you see more new releases than Kermode
The plonker still asks to see our cards when we’re walking in so no, not yet ;)

Hatredsheart

Post by Hatredsheart » Fri Feb 14, 2020 5:11 pm

Parasite

Really enjoyed that, well acted and the 2 hrs felt well spent. Didn't glance at my watch once.
Spoiler
I thought I was watching a Korean version of Hustle, and I didn't see the twist halfway through coming.
Much as I enjoyed Joker, if it was a choice between that and this I'd say the oscar went to the right film.
Formerly Dr@gon-UK, but still the Forum Fossil

𝕯𝖔𝖓'𝖙 𝖋𝖊𝖆𝖗 𝕿𝖍𝖊 𝕽𝖊𝖆𝖕𝖊𝖗

Alan

Post by Alan » Fri Feb 14, 2020 5:34 pm

Biweekly film dump -_-

Parasite
Loved it. It’s so well done, well balanced and surprisingly subtle even though it’s also loud and crazy. It’s a great mix.

Birds Of Prey
The start is a bit of a mess as it pointlessly uses flash backs and forwards but I really enjoyed the rest. I would say Mary Elizabeth Winstead seemed miscast but for a daft fun violent superhervillan thing I liked it. If the fight at the end wasn’t a digital composite it was very impressive choreography.

Like a Boss
I laughed most times Hayek had a scene but the rest was pretty shitty and by the numbers

Richard Jewel
Liked this quite a lot. It’s a bit of a sad and crazy story. Don’t be weird or go to jail.

The Rhythm Section
This was much better than I expected. The action is really quite well done with long shots and Blake Lively does a good job. The story’s iffy and doesn't really make a lot of sense but it’s quite a well crafted film. Probably the worst named film in a long time.

What if Rob Zombie made the running man. It’s the best of his last 4 films. Not great praise.

eny

Post by eny » Fri Feb 14, 2020 6:00 pm

We went to see Birds of Prey this week too, and feel the same, bit of a trying start that stumbled a little, but an enjoyable watch.
Everything on the internet is 100% true.

– Abraham Lincoln
˙ƃuıʇıɹʍ ʎuıʇ ʎllɐǝɹ uʍop ǝpısdn

Achtung Englander

Post by Achtung Englander » Fri Feb 14, 2020 9:52 pm

Alan did I mention that I wished I was you.....

I will have to make do with Sonic knowing my luck.