I Just Watched (Films)

Small Screen. Bigger Screen.
Wrathbone
Local

Re: I Just Watched (Films)

Post by Wrathbone » Thu Jun 13, 2019 11:52 am

Alan wrote:
Thu Jun 13, 2019 7:38 am
I dislike the MCUs general lack of consequence to global devistation but this takes the piss!
X-mans <> MCU ;)

Also to be fair, the MCU used Civil War to address the consequences of global devastation (and then went on to destroy an international airport because of a pissing contest).

I've no real drive to go watch Dark Phoenix. Apocalypse was really dull.

Rusty

Post by Rusty » Thu Jun 13, 2019 12:15 pm

I loved the X-men comics growing up. My friend had every one (yes including a copy of issue 1) that he let me read but the films do nothing for me.
-- To be completed at some point --

The Jackal

Post by The Jackal » Thu Jun 13, 2019 9:15 pm

Rusty wrote:
Thu Jun 13, 2019 12:15 pm
the films do nothing for me.
Oh Vienna.
Mighty Horse Rocks The Fat Ass.

Medicine Man
Bar Staff

Post by Medicine Man » Sat Jun 15, 2019 1:35 pm

:lol:

Alan

Post by Alan » Sat Jun 22, 2019 10:38 am

Brightburn
A retelling of Superman if Superman was a complete dicknugget. Theres something there but it never really coelesses. Theres some great scenes but it just feels like they had no real idea what to do with it beyond the half way mark. In broad strokes its great, visceral deaths, creepy kid, decent way of ending it. In the minutiae though it falls apart. Characters turn on dimes, parts take too long while others are way way rushed.

MiB International
We're all getting a bit older now. Thinking about our mortality and how long we have left on this earth. Now I know you might think I'm going to tell you to not go see MiB and save the time you have left but quite the opposite! I looked at my watch fully knowing well over two hours had passed and yet my watch seemed to only show the passing of around 40 minutes. This film has the power to extend time. If we can harness this power we could all live to be nigh on 300 years old! Tedious, try hard, face slapping blandness of the most shitty shit proportions could make us into bloody Q! MiB3, turns out, was a masterpiece.

Freehold (netflix I think)
This was really great. The cover is horrible and I expected nothing from it but ended up loving everything except the last 5mins. Londoner lives in a flat but unbeknownst to him a weird french guy lives in the wall and comes out to fuck with him when he's asleep or at work.

Wrathbone wrote:
Thu Jun 13, 2019 11:52 am
Alan wrote:
Thu Jun 13, 2019 7:38 am
I dislike the MCUs general lack of consequence to global devistation but this takes the piss!
X-mans <> MCU ;)
I know, just same problems.
Also to be fair, the MCU used Civil War to address the consequences of global devastation (and then went on to destroy an international airport because of a pissing contest).
Civil War felt like a little fight with your brother when youre 10. Someone might get a skint knee but nothing that would be a fitting aftermath for a city being torn out the ground and presumably killing thousands of people! ;)
A man who could tell more truth and eat fewer pies.

Wrathbone
Local

Post by Wrathbone » Mon Jun 24, 2019 1:53 pm

Churchill

A compelling view of Churchill's waning reputation in the run up to D-Day with exceptional acting from Brian Cox as the eponymous cigar-chomping, whisky-swilling bulldog. It does a good job of showing why he strongly disapproved of the D-Day plans, and doesn't shy away from the fact that he was a grade-A twat a lot of the time.

8/10

Achtung Englander

Post by Achtung Englander » Mon Jun 24, 2019 10:26 pm

Alan wrote:
Sat Jun 22, 2019 10:38 am

MiB International
We're all getting a bit older now. Thinking about our mortality and how long we have left on this earth. Now I know you might think I'm going to tell you to not go see MiB and save the time you have left but quite the opposite! I looked at my watch fully knowing well over two hours had passed and yet my watch seemed to only show the passing of around 40 minutes. This film has the power to extend time. If we can harness this power we could all live to be nigh on 300 years old! Tedious, try hard, face slapping blandness of the most shitty shit proportions could make us into bloody Q! MiB3, turns out, was a masterpiece.
:lol:
Games playing : Bioshock (Remastered) / Total War Britannia / Dirt 4

Alan

Post by Alan » Wed Jun 26, 2019 4:49 pm

Child’s Play
:x
They made Chucky a jealous Alexa!

This would have been fine if they just called it... uhm.... Son Of Annabelle or whatever but invocation Of Childs Play has some sacred stuff there! Chuck without Brad is just wtf are you doing?!

Also it’s not satanic possession that makes him bad, a disgruntled employees in the factory changes a line in the ini to enable violence and swearing.

](*,) [-( [-X #-o

Achtung Englander

Post by Achtung Englander » Sat Jun 29, 2019 7:03 pm

Toy Story 4

6/10

Could this be the sequel that "did not need to be made", maybe but it did deliver more madcap adventures of Woody and...just Woody actually. Almost all the side characters that were fleshed out and developed in films 1 - 3 were left behind with the exception of Buzz (who kinda felt a bit out of character here) and Bo Peep who is nothing like a former self from film 1. All kick ass and very 2019 what with #MeToo and every hero now has to be female :roll:

The animation is just shockingly amazing good. The insidious characters of Bonnie and the ventriloquist dummies are wonderful. So yes a film that did not need to be made but fun was had while I was watching it and I would see it again. It just felt....weird (read spoilers after you see it)

I beginning to think Disney needs to slim down and become more hungry now as its fatness is making it lazy and its films now feel like they have the originality of factory made sausage. And stop with the "subverting expectations", its getting boring.

Spoiler
The fact that Woody had unwanted surgery and his voicebox stolen from him genuinely felt like rape to me. I thought he would get it back but nope. Funny ending in how Woody is all about friendship and sticking with friends through thick and thin just decided to give up and go his separate way with Bo Peep. Totally against the ethos of what the first 3 films is about. Really odd

The references to the Shining and 2001 and Eval Knievel motorbike toy (which I had !) was great.

Achtung Englander

Post by Achtung Englander » Mon Jul 01, 2019 8:35 am

Apollo 11

9/10

No talking heads. No narration. No CGI but it does have vector graphics (ala Lunar Lander) to illustrate key points of the flight, amazing footage in restored high definition, superb music and perfect for the film and everything is explained with real footage and radio transcripts and TV reals. An amazing film that just explores the flight. The amount of man power and effort to make it all work is breathtaking. I saw this late on Sunday night with 6 other people in the whole theatre on a huge screen and I loved the fact the sound during the take off shook my seat (a bit of 4D right there).

Definitely one to rewatch when I invest in a bigger telly and the sound turned up. I am still shocked on how good some of the footage looked like especially when the rocket was on the pad. It reminded me of how I felt when I saw the transition from B&W to high definition colour in They Shall Not Grow Old

2 cinema visits in a week, you really are spoiling us Mr. Ambassador

Animalmother
Local

Post by Animalmother » Thu Jul 04, 2019 6:06 am

The Dark Tower

If you want to watch a bunch of actors doing the bare minimum to carry a plot along then look no further. Everyone looks like they rather be doing something else.
Shite.

Stormbringer
Rad Dad

Post by Stormbringer » Fri Jul 05, 2019 11:59 am

Alan wrote:
Sat May 25, 2019 11:30 am
Aladdin
Not great. Aladdin's singing voice is awful for a start and Big Willy isnt any better. It looks like a lot of money was spent on it by folk that weren't great designers so everything just looks cheap. Its not offensively bad or anything and its better than Dumbo.... maybe.

Controversially, I preferred Will Smith's genie to Robin Williams'. However, other than that, much like Beauty & The Beast before it, it was simply the exact same tale, re-told in a less exciting way, with some of the best scenes from the 1992 animation removed entirely, such as...
Spoiler
Jaffar turning into a giant snake!

Also, way to ruin an already perfect story by adding an unnecessary sub-plot about regional politics. :roll:

How strange, then, that it was directed by the same man who made King Arthur: Legend of the Sword, which I just watched, as I totally loved that! Silly, yes, but so well done!
Between tedium and fright
Such is the song of the nether world
The hissing of rats
And the jarring chants of angels

Alan

Post by Alan » Fri Jul 05, 2019 3:37 pm

Midsommar
I really loved that! Its funny, really well shot and batshit crazy. Its made me rethink my dislike for the second half of Hereditary. I think Aster is the most interesting thing in modern horror which might not be saying much.

Yesterday
This I did not like at all. The two main people we are supposed to like are manipulative twats that I totally took against. The premise is interesting, everyone forgets the Beatles songs except one guy who makes it big by playing them. The only problem is hes not good at it, doesnt understand that you need a bloody band and on top of that its a fucking massive Ed Sheeran circle jerk. Danny has done better.

Wrathbone
Local

Post by Wrathbone » Mon Jul 08, 2019 8:06 am

I Am Mother

As wary as I am of the variable quality of Netflix originals, this one is worth a watch. It's best going in with minimal knowledge of it, suffice it to say that there has been some sort of extinction-level event and a robot in a bunker is raising a human child from an embryo.

There are corners of the plot I wish it had poked further, but it's a decent (if unambitious) sci-fi story.

7/10

Rusty

Post by Rusty » Mon Jul 08, 2019 11:38 am

Started watching the trailer mainly because netflix auto plays trailers (FFS) and I think it went too fair. Pretty sure it had spoilers in it...
-- To be completed at some point --