I Just Watched (Films)

Small Screen. Bigger Screen.
Snowy
Local

Re: I Just Watched (Films)

Post by Snowy » Tue Dec 28, 2021 11:07 pm

Kong Vs Godzilla - wow that was bad. You don't need a story for this film, just make cool shit happen and huge monsters beat the shit out of one another with splodes etc. Sadly someone thought we did, so most of the film centres around some poor actors running about verbal-vomiting utter nonsensical shite. The actual monster-fightiness is pretty damn cool but the exposition spaff crushed my wife and I's will to live, so we turned it off halfway through.
RCHD wrote:Snowy is my favourite. He's a metal God.
08/10/2003 - 17/08/2018
10501 :-({|=

Animalmother
Local

Post by Animalmother » Wed Dec 29, 2021 6:55 pm

Shite alright, made it about 20 minutes before turning it off.

Animalmother
Local

Post by Animalmother » Thu Dec 30, 2021 5:15 pm

Dune
Finally got around to watching this at long last. While it didn't exactly blow my mind like it seems to have some people, it was very good. Like how it's taking it's time to world build and hopefully more will follow. Think I'd watch anything Denis Villeneuve makes now.

The visual style is exactly how I'd imagine an Iain M Banks Culture novel to appear I'd they ever adapted one.

Hatredsheart

Post by Hatredsheart » Thu Dec 30, 2021 5:26 pm

Animalmother wrote:
Thu Dec 30, 2021 5:15 pm
Dune
The visual style is exactly how I'd imagine an Iain M Banks Culture novel to appear I'd they ever adapted one.
We can dream. [-o<
Formerly Dr@gon-UK, but still the Forum Fossil

𝕯𝖔𝖓'𝖙 𝖋𝖊𝖆𝖗 𝕿𝖍𝖊 𝕽𝖊𝖆𝖕𝖊𝖗

Snowy
Local

Post by Snowy » Fri Dec 31, 2021 11:02 am

Don't look up

Really enjoyed this one on Netflix but it is a strange one. An extinction-event sized comet is going to hit the earth and the people who spotted it are trying to get the world to sit up and take notice. The film is a black comedy, it juxtaposes a lot of the world of today and you sit there thinking "Yeah, this would probably happen". Great cast and very well done film, worth a watch.
RCHD wrote:Snowy is my favourite. He's a metal God.
08/10/2003 - 17/08/2018
10501 :-({|=

Achtung Englander

Post by Achtung Englander » Sat Jan 01, 2022 1:00 am

Ron's Gone Wrong (Disney+)

Watched this before the New Year celebrations with my 7 year old. Really enjoyed it, better than expected. Same beats as a Pixar movie, but without the happy ever after ending.

7/10
Games playing : Bioshock (Remastered) / Total War Britannia / Dirt 4

Sly Boots
Bar Staff

Post by Sly Boots » Sat Jan 01, 2022 1:22 am

Yeah, watched it with the kids a while back, we all thought it was great.

Animalmother
Local

Post by Animalmother » Sat Jan 01, 2022 8:30 pm

Antlers
Saw this mentioned as one of the best horror films of 2021. A teacher in a small mining town thinks there's something odd about one of her students, then mutilated bodies start showing up. Pretty dull unfortunately but the practical effects were excellent when used, produced by Guillermo del Toro so was expecting a bit more. Not terrible just a bit meh.

Raid
Local

Post by Raid » Sat Jan 01, 2022 9:24 pm

Don't Look Up

This is so on-the-nose that it may be worth having some gauze handy. You'll laugh, but then quickly realise how painfully accurate it feels.

It's the funniest film I've seen in a year, a fact that results in existential dread.

Animalmother
Local

Post by Animalmother » Sun Jan 02, 2022 2:54 pm

Blade Runner 2049
Having just watched Dune I thought I'd have another look at this. Yeah it's great, Villeneuve should now be offered first choice on everything. I forgot just how sad and alone practically everyone in this film is, it seems to be the underlying theme of it. Might get this and Dune on Blu-ray at some point.

The Revenant
How much worse can this guy's situation possibly get?
[2 minutes later...]
Oh, much much worse
[3 minutes later...]
:shock:

Achtung Englander

Post by Achtung Englander » Tue Jan 04, 2022 9:56 am

Currently reading Cary Grant's biography, so watched a couple of his older films

The Bishop's Wife (Prime) - its funny seeing David Niven in another film about angels just after he did A Matter of Life and Death. Cary Grant plays an angel very well and it is charming. 7/10

Suspicion - This is an early Hitchcock film. Interesting premise of a wife convinced her husband wants to do her in. This time Grant plays a likeable cad. Daft ending. 5/10. Hitchcock learning the ropes with this one.

Alan

Post by Alan » Tue Jan 04, 2022 10:50 am

We just finished our Mae West run through and her Cary Grant films (I'm no Angel and She Done Him Wrong) might be her best ones. Really love I'm No Angel particularly. Also really like My Little Chickadee even thought I cant stand WC Fields!

Lets talk about her final two movies though and what a car crash they are! :lol:

1970 Myra Breckinridge
Guy goes to Europe to get a sex change, comes back as Raquel Welch because why not! Its such an incredible mess that its nigh on unwatchable. Its continually cutting in scenes from other movies that have nothing to do with what is happening on screen. It feels like if a modern movie cut in meme gifs continually - guy says something smug, Leo DiCaprio smug gif plays etc but a 1970's version, its insufferable. The few redeeming parts are with Mae as an... uhm... female Weinstein?

(Mae West) "How tall are you when you're off your horse, cowboy?"
(Young Man at "Interview") "Um, six feet, seven inches, ma'am."
(Mae West) "Well, never mind the six feet, and let's talk about the seven inches."

1978 Sextette
So this was her final movie, its star studded and its so so bad that its actually quite watchable! She plays the worlds biggest movie star (naturally) on her 6th marriage to Timothy Dalton, 50 odd years her junior. West was in her mid 80's at the time and sadly showing major signs of dementia. She had to be fed a lot of her lines via earpiece and even when they painted large marks on the floor for where she had to walk to she would often just wander off. Apparently they found a solution in getting one of the sexy young grips to go on all fours and crawl to where they wanted her to go and she would follow him bum there every time. :lol: It does mean most of her dialogue is very stilted, even more so since that was kind of her delivery style to begin with. Its an awful mess of a thing but I laughed and kind of had a good time watching it so \:D/

This was a decade before Daltons stint as Bond but it had a line... “Marlo listen. I've got something very important to tell you. Sir Michael (Dalton) is one of England's top secret agents. He's bigger than 007!”

Oh and the cast

Mae West
Timothy Dalton
Dom DeLuise
Tony Curtis
Ringo Starr
Keith Moon
George Hamilton
Alice Cooper
A man who could tell more truth and eat fewer pies.

Animalmother
Local

Post by Animalmother » Wed Jan 05, 2022 11:13 pm

No Time to Die
I've found the last few Bond films a total chore to watch but this I did enjoy and the length of almost 3 hours wasn't a problem. Some nice little references to previous films dotted about. Definitely worth watching.

Lenny Solidus

Post by Lenny Solidus » Fri Jan 07, 2022 1:17 pm

Death to 2021
I needed that, the questionable IQ english lady specifically had me in pieces.
Building the future, and keeping the past alive - are one and the same thing.

Achtung Englander

Post by Achtung Englander » Sat Jan 08, 2022 9:27 pm

Ghostbusters Afterlife

5/10

The first half comes across as an indie film, the second half comes across as a remix of the original film with zero originality (think The Force Awakens). Neither scary nor funny. A film that is just there to serve nostalgia. As a direct sequel to Ghostbusters it could just make the ticket but given Ghostbusters 2 is canon as well, its hard to think this film is in the same universe. The ending is just ridiculous. I was actually bored in the last 30 minutes. The best thing in the whole movie was the actress Mckenna Grace who played the main character Phoebe. The actress is very good, the character is unbelievable. The worst was the kid who played Podcast.

Still leagues better than the 2016 debacle.