I Just Watched (Films)

Small Screen. Bigger Screen.
Raid
Local

Re: I Just Watched (Films)

Post by Raid » Sun Aug 14, 2022 8:30 am

Sly Boots wrote:
Sat Aug 13, 2022 8:59 pm
And Prey also. I have a hard time believing I'll prefer it to the original which I think is great, but happy to accept it's at least the second best film in the franchise (low bar tbf :lol:)
I'm not expecting many to share my opinion, I know the original is held in pretty high esteem, but I think my ability to enjoy the testosterone-fiction genre has really diminished now. Predator 2 was nigh-on unwatchable when I tried it a month or two back. I am sorta tempted to try the original again having watched Prey, which feels very much like a reimagined-remake rather than a new film in the franchise, but I think I'd be going in expecting to be disappointed.

Snowy
Local

Post by Snowy » Sun Aug 14, 2022 9:39 am

Raid wrote:
Sun Aug 14, 2022 8:30 am
Sly Boots wrote:
Sat Aug 13, 2022 8:59 pm
And Prey also. I have a hard time believing I'll prefer it to the original which I think is great, but happy to accept it's at least the second best film in the franchise (low bar tbf :lol:)
I'm not expecting many to share my opinion, I know the original is held in pretty high esteem, but I think my ability to enjoy the testosterone-fiction genre has really diminished now. Predator 2 was nigh-on unwatchable when I tried it a month or two back. I am sorta tempted to try the original again having watched Prey, which feels very much like a reimagined-remake rather than a new film in the franchise, but I think I'd be going in expecting to be disappointed.
This is one of those areas where age plays a part I think. I saw Predator when it was released in the cinema and it was an absolute riot. The camouflage effect (amazing for it's time), the whole concept of an alien big game hunter where humans are the prey, Jesse Ventura and his god damn minigun, that scene where they all unleash hell in the jungle - all of it combined to make the experience on release a real landmark in action movies that watching it in the present age of CGI and modern sensibilities just can't recapture.

There are a number of films from that era which were groundbreaking in different ways. Raiders of the Lost Ark, Terminator, Robocop, Star Wars, films that raised the bar on what had gone before. The love I still feel for them is because of what they did to cinema as well as the film itself.
RCHD wrote:Snowy is my favourite. He's a metal God.
08/10/2003 - 17/08/2018
10501 :-({|=

Raid
Local

Post by Raid » Sun Aug 14, 2022 10:24 am

That's definitely been a factor with a number of other films I've watched in the last few years - movies that rely on spectacle really need something else to grab you if you watch them a while after release, but I don't think it's the case here.

I think with Predator and others of its ilk, it's just more that my tastes have changed. I can happily watch The Terminator, which looks comically bad in places compared to modern films, and it's not just for the kitsch value of a terrifying robot brought to life through stop-motion animation. Aliens, as I confirmed just a few weeks back, still has to rank in my top 5 action films, and that has many of the same attributes that I would assign to Predator.

Aliens is actually a good example to call back to here, because it has Bill Paxton playing almost the same character he plays in Predator 2 as a point of comparison. I can appreciate Hudson for the role he fills, but I *hated* Jerry Lambert in Predator 2. Hudson's painfully overt masculinity is countered by his constantly being knocked down a peg by, well, everyone else in the film, but Lambert's attitude is almost celebrated, and there's nothing to balance it out. Can you imagine Aliens if every character was like Hudson?

This isn't just me finding overly masculine characters distasteful, it's a perfectly valid character trope, but it needs variety in the rest of the cast to make it watchable. I found Predator 2 boring. I don't think gratuitous action can carry a film for me anymore.

Animalmother
Local

Post by Animalmother » Sun Aug 14, 2022 11:14 am

To each their own mate, not your fault if something doesn't gel with you. I personally love the Predator as a character and hope they make more films like Prey set in different time periods.

Curious what you make of the John Wick films Raid as they are literally gratuitous action from start to finish?

Raid
Local

Post by Raid » Sun Aug 14, 2022 11:56 am

I probably could have worded that last sentence better.

I really enjoyed the first two John Wick films (haven't seen the third yet), and Mad Max Fury Road, which I think most would consider a gratuitous action film too, is still probably my favourite of the genre. But those had.... craft? John Wick has incredible choreography, and Mad Max has the best vehicle stunts of any film I've seen. I respect them as pieces of filmmaking.

Maybe it's just gratuitous eighties action films that I don't enjoy anymore.

Mantis
Landlord

Post by Mantis » Sun Aug 14, 2022 12:08 pm

They are very of their time and require a degree of buy-in to fully appreciate in the current age. Predator is pretty much peak 80s over the top masculinity and it isn't hard for me to see why people may not really gel with that anymore given how much cinema has evolved since then.

Personally I still love it because all nuance goes out the window and you're just left with big beefy sweaty men unleashing thousands of rounds of ammunition into a jungle clearing. I think maybe it was seen as a bit more serious back then because "rawr, manly men", but viewing it now I just find it hilarious. The scene with Dutch and Dillon trying to out macho each other always cracks me up. I almost think of all these 80s action movies as parodies of themselves now even though they clearly weren't intended as such at the time.

Notably, The Expendables movies tried to recapture the essence of these 80s movies in more recent times and even with their all-star cast of aging 80s action heroes I found that they fell kind of flat because they were just too self aware and trying too hard. It just didn't feel right to be making movies like that anymore even though it was clearly intended as a homage and throwback.

I think The Terminator has more longevity because it legit works really well as a kind of cyberpunk horror movie too. The first one is still the best by a mile for me, even if James Cameron did an admirable job at expanding it into a more blockbuster action movie for the sequel.

Wrathbone
Local

Post by Wrathbone » Sun Aug 14, 2022 6:24 pm

Mantis wrote:
Sun Aug 14, 2022 12:08 pm
Notably, The Expendables movies tried to recapture the essence of these 80s movies in more recent times and even with their all-star cast of aging 80s action heroes I found that they fell kind of flat because they were just too self aware and trying too hard.
Exactly that. Many 80s action films were totally deadpan in how seriously they portrayed their macho BS. When Arnie fires an M60 one-handed from the hip, it was done with the intent of being badass, not funny. That's what makes it funny now (and a little badass). There were certainly 80s action films that knowingly played up how ridiculous they were, and even the unknowing ones thrived on post-mortem one-liners, but they did so on their own terms rather than to be ironic.

The likes of John Wick and Nobody are much better as modern action films because they rely on the skill of their characters rather than how much they can benchpress. People can't take that sort of action hero seriously anymore.

Sly Boots
Bar Staff

Post by Sly Boots » Sun Aug 14, 2022 6:46 pm

Wrathbone wrote:
Sun Aug 14, 2022 6:24 pm
Mantis wrote:
Sun Aug 14, 2022 12:08 pm
Notably, The Expendables movies tried to recapture the essence of these 80s movies in more recent times and even with their all-star cast of aging 80s action heroes I found that they fell kind of flat because they were just too self aware and trying too hard.
Exactly that. Many 80s action films were totally deadpan in how seriously they portrayed their macho BS. When Arnie fires an M60 one-handed from the hip, it was done with the intent of being badass, not funny. That's what makes it funny now (and a little badass). There were certainly 80s action films that knowingly played up how ridiculous they were, and even the unknowing ones thrived on post-mortem one-liners, but they did so on their own terms rather than to be ironic.

The likes of John Wick and Nobody are much better as modern action films because they rely on the skill of their characters rather than how much they can benchpress. People can't take that sort of action hero seriously anymore.
With all that said, I have a hard time believing Commando was ever meant to be serious...

:lol:

Wrathbone
Local

Post by Wrathbone » Sun Aug 14, 2022 7:12 pm

The most moving death scene in cinema history. :-({|=

This is the thing, though - it's not done with a wink. That's the difference between the real deal and the modern pretenders.

Sly Boots
Bar Staff

Post by Sly Boots » Sun Aug 14, 2022 11:05 pm

ManBearSquid wrote:
Fri Aug 12, 2022 8:05 pm
Also, I did nearly turn it off after a certain line was used again for no other reason than cringey fan service.
I know exactly which bit this was :lol:

I did enjoy the film, though.

Lenny Solidus

Post by Lenny Solidus » Mon Aug 15, 2022 9:28 pm

I do agree with many points made in the above video and as it was only six hours old seemed relevant to post given the discussion, but having now watched it in its entirety I will say it's not at all the best example video of exactly why Predator 2 deserves to be recognised far more than it is.
Building the future, and keeping the past alive - are one and the same thing.

Medicine Man
Bar Staff

Post by Medicine Man » Tue Aug 16, 2022 8:52 am

Lightyear

An hour and 40 minutes packed full of glorious animation of buttons being pushed, levers being pulled, and wheels being turned. It was worth it for that alone. :)

Lenny Solidus

Post by Lenny Solidus » Fri Aug 19, 2022 4:08 pm

Shadow in the Cloud

Always been a huge fan of Chloë Moretz and in spite of her awful truly fucking dire attempt at a British accent I managed to get through it all and actually enjoyed it. To say this movie subverted my expectations cannot be stated anywhere near loudly enough. Unexpected enjoyment was had.
Building the future, and keeping the past alive - are one and the same thing.

Alan

Post by Alan » Sat Aug 20, 2022 4:20 am

Prey
I was quite glad when the missus turned to me and said "well that was rubbish" because that was my thoughts exactly. I appreciate the way they depict the predator as going through each species trying to find the best hunter but I pretty much hated mostly everything else. The CGI is eye meltingly awful to the point that yes the cloak looks better but the cloaked pred is CGI and its animated really poorly making it kind of worse than the original and lets not even talk about the animations on the animals, they might as well just have cut in the animals of farthing wood and it would have looked more realistic. Then there's the end which paints the pred as a complete moron. Yeah perhaps they're a young pred training but they cant be that stupid. The main lass and her brother are fine and they do get some cool scenes but I dont think any of it makes up for the bad parts like the flower petal that turns off your bodys heat like a light switch. I'd put it around Predators in quality, below the level of any rewatch chance. It was better than The Predator, I'll give it that accolade. It should have and could have been much better.

Cats Eyes
Love this dumb film, its got so much daft charm. Its among my fav Stephen King movies just for the fun.

Topper
Cary Grant and his wife die and haunt a stuffy banker to help him out. Grant is great and his delivery would be the best thing about it were it not for the effects. Essentially the effects are things being manipulated by an invisible ghost but for 1937 its so well done, especially the car repair scene.
A man who could tell more truth and eat fewer pies.

Animalmother
Local

Post by Animalmother » Sat Aug 20, 2022 1:16 pm

Fellowship of the Ring in(extended ed) 4K.
Been a long time since I last watched this and the first in 4K. For a 21 year old film it still looks pretty great but it is definitely starting to show it's age now. The outdoor and indoor sets look fantastic and the Shire just explodes with a vibrant green. It's the big CGI parts like the running from the Balrog where you can see the edges of the green screen. The cave troll is also a tad rough looking these days. But all that aside it's still never been bettered when it comes to sheer scale and epicness. The passion that went into it's production is all up on the screen. The acting is camp at times and Aragon is a bit of a smug Edwin now and then but it's all part of it. The bit on the mountainside where Gandalf and Saruman are waving their wands at each other and shouting is unintentionally hilarious. The orks look fantastic and practical effects just don't age. On to my favorite part The Two Towers next.