Small Screen. Bigger Screen.
Alan

Re: I Just Watched (Films)

Post by Alan » Sat Oct 20, 2018 1:15 am

Halloween (H40?)
Oh
My
Fuck.
This makes H20 look like it was good. When they mentioned they were ignoring most of the sequels and making this basically Halloween 3 I figured they must have had a good idea but alas the idea was money.
It starts bad as podcasters try to interview Mike, way to seem relevant movie! Then it actually shows promise as the kills are played with weight and a solumness rather than the “man check out how this one dies!”. It quickly squanders any of that good will as it melts into a pile of shit.
Oh and how they defeat him..... dumbest shit I’ve ever seen! Oh my god it’s so stupid!

There’s this black kid that gets about 10mins screen time that is great but he doesn’t get anywhere near the screen time he deserves.
A man who could tell more truth and eat fewer pies.

Wizard Of Odd

Post by Wizard Of Odd » Mon Oct 22, 2018 5:00 pm

We watched Ghost Stories the other night. I thought it was OK, but I thought each story ended far too quickly.

Animalmother
Local

Post by Animalmother » Tue Oct 23, 2018 5:26 pm

Solo

Well it wasn't as aweful as most people are saying but it still wasn't great either. A completely pointless film is what I'd call it. Some of the acting was a bit dodge and having to explain how he got his name etc was dumb.

It's very easy to see why Disney have now put a hold on new Star Wars films after this.
Spoiler
I would love a film set on that mud planet following the imperial recruits fighting a pointless war though, something a bit gritty

Jez

Post by Jez » Tue Oct 23, 2018 9:13 pm

Disney sadly don't do Grit.
19-10-2003
12072 :-({|=

Wizard Of Odd

Post by Wizard Of Odd » Sun Oct 28, 2018 7:45 am

We watched Searching last night. If you've not heard of it, a single dad's teenage daughter goes missing. The entire film takes place on the dads computer screen. Video calls, Internet searches, news footage. It's an interesting idea, and wasn't nearly as annoying as I thought it could possibly be. The film was actually very good, although the end felt a little rushed and took a bit of a leap of logic, I think.

DjchunKfunK
Bar Staff

Post by DjchunKfunK » Mon Oct 29, 2018 11:28 am

Isle of Dogs

Latest Wes Anderson film. Was enjoyable enough, but failed to make any kind of lasting impression. Enjoyed the Grand Budapest Hotel a lot more.

Wrathbone
Local

Post by Wrathbone » Mon Oct 29, 2018 2:13 pm

The Grand Budapest Hotel is the only Wes Anderson film I've seen. I didn't exactly like or dislike it, but afterwards I remember a distinct feeling of WTF have I just watched for two hours. Kind of like waking up from a weird dream and not being able to recall many details but having a strong sense that something happened.

Sly Boots
Bar Staff

Post by Sly Boots » Mon Oct 29, 2018 2:15 pm

Wrathbone wrote:
Mon Oct 29, 2018 2:13 pm
The Grand Budapest Hotel is the only Wes Anderson film I've seen. I didn't exactly like or dislike it, but afterwards I remember a distinct feeling of WTF have I just watched for two hours. Kind of like waking up from a weird dream and not being able to recall many details but having a strong sense that something happened.
I've seen a few, but not the ones you or Dj mentioned. Of the ones I've seen I probably enjoyed The Life Aquatic the most.

Alan

Post by Alan » Mon Oct 29, 2018 4:43 pm

Isle Of Dogs is my film of the year so far, love it to bits. The craftsmanship in it is just amazing.

WoO, we went to see Searching a few days ago and we were quite surprised at how good it was. Particularly in how the use of the computer was mostly surprisingly realistic. I did call the bad guy just for the first interaction being off though. There were a few leaps of logic but it was still pretty good.

DjchunKfunK
Bar Staff

Post by DjchunKfunK » Tue Oct 30, 2018 12:29 pm

Alan wrote:
Mon Oct 29, 2018 4:43 pm
Isle Of Dogs is my film of the year so far, love it to bits. The craftsmanship in it is just amazing.
The animation is top quality, just felt the plot was lacking.

Achtung Englander

Post by Achtung Englander » Mon Nov 05, 2018 11:23 pm

I, Tonya

That was pretty great fun. The idea of breaking the 4th wall suited this type of biopic perfectly. Great acting and an unbelievable story of stupidity.
8/10

First Man

Best film I have seen this year. Simply brilliant in execution and pathos. It has a great nod to 2001 A Space Odyssey with the Gemini 8 docking procedure. The film superbly conveys the terror these pilots had to endure as well as the genius of a pilot Neil Armstrong was. What really impressed me was the many depths the film had and the sequence on the moon had me tears.
Spoiler
His accomplishment brought home to him that none of this mattered without his love for his family and daughter and he carried her with him. As a parent that speak volumes
Why this film got criticised is beyond me. This was completely up my ally and almost everything I want in a film. Thank god that movies like this get made in a sea of CGI Marvel bullcrap.

No TV screen, no matter how big can do justice to this film. It has to be seen in the cinema. I am going to see it again this week.

9/10

EDIT - seen it twice in the cinema. Second viewing is just as good. Worth buying a 65'' TV to re-watch it - well that is my excuse anyway !
Games playing : Bioshock (Remastered) / Total War Britannia / Dirt 4

Achtung Englander

Post by Achtung Englander » Sun Nov 11, 2018 9:43 pm

Good Kill

A drama about a fighter pilot who is now a drone pilot (against his will) and the moral dilemma that comes from killing with ease without the justification of knowing whether the ones getting killed are actually fighters on the pretext that strike first is what matters. It's a bit ham-fisted but it is intriguing.

6/10
Games playing : Bioshock (Remastered) / Total War Britannia / Dirt 4

Alan

Post by Alan » Mon Nov 12, 2018 3:18 pm

Slaughterhouse Rulez
Someone watched an Edgar Wright movie and thought they wanted to do that exact thing. Unfortunately the movie they emulated was The Worlds End..... poorly. It’s not without laughs and it’s not unwatchable but it is crap. Pegg and Frost are wasted.

Bohemian Rhapsody
Nothing really rings true but It’s a fine fictional retelling. Acting is good, settings are well done and it’s funny. It baffles me why they decided to make it all bullshit though....

Return To Castle Wolfenstein: Overlord
A very expensive bmovie. As long as you know that and check your brain at the door it’s great fun. Super dumb but it sure isn’t boring!

Wrathbone
Local

Post by Wrathbone » Wed Nov 14, 2018 11:09 am

Outlaw King

A nice surprise, this one. I hadn't paid it any attention despite it being plastered all over Netflix for the last week, but then I saw someone praising the level of historical accuracy in it and the dedication to detail (with the minor exception of some events which have been condensed for dramatic purposes). It's hands down the best film I can think of in those terms. It is in some ways the historically impressive sequel to the historically hilarious Braveheart.

It also turns out Chris Pine can act, and the rest of the cast are also excellent. The drama is engaging for the most part and the fight scenes are exceptional. Highly recommended.

9/10

Animalmother
Local

Post by Animalmother » Wed Nov 14, 2018 4:45 pm

It popped up on Netflix so I had another look at Rouge One. I know we had a very long discussion about this a while ago but I still maintain its the best of the new Star Wars films yet. A lot of needless fluff could have been cut and that meeting with Vader on planet Mordor was utterly pointless (and his shockingly bad helmet). But the end battle makes it all worth it.