Re: I Just Watched (Films)

Post by Achtung Englander » Sun Sep 23, 2018 7:16 pm

The whole refraction thing was very clever indeed
Games playing : Bioshock (Remastered) / Total War Britannia / Dirt 4

Jez

Post by Jez » Sun Sep 23, 2018 10:53 pm

... that bear....thing.

Frightening. Loved that section. And hated it :)
19-10-2003
12072 :-({|=

Achtung Englander

Post by Achtung Englander » Mon Sep 24, 2018 7:08 pm

I loved the bear attack - really scary.

Hatredsheart

Post by Hatredsheart » Tue Sep 25, 2018 7:38 am

Jez wrote:
Sun Sep 23, 2018 10:53 pm
... that bear....thing.

Yeah, he's not what you'd call cute :D

Formerly Dr@gon-UK, but still the Forum Fossil

𝕯𝖔𝖓'𝖙 𝖋𝖊𝖆𝖗 𝕿𝖍𝖊 𝕽𝖊𝖆𝖕𝖊𝖗

Jez

Post by Jez » Tue Sep 25, 2018 8:29 am

Shudder.....

It's the voice though....
19-10-2003
12072 :-({|=

Animalmother
Local

Post by Animalmother » Tue Oct 02, 2018 10:51 pm

Hold the Dark

By the same people who made Green Room a few years back. A wolf expert is asked to come to a remote village in Alaska to look for a wolf pack that might be taking children. Very violent and very wierd to say the least, still not sure what to make of it. People die very sudden and brutal deaths, similar to Green Room in that respect. Worth a watch but a bit on the long side and overly ambiguous in places. Beautifully shoot and some great menacing music.

The Jackal

Post by The Jackal » Tue Oct 02, 2018 11:02 pm

Hatredsheart wrote:
Tue Sep 25, 2018 7:38 am
Jez wrote:
Sun Sep 23, 2018 10:53 pm
... that bear....thing.

*horrors*
AGH!

I scrolled down idly and stumbled into that. Had an overwhelming urge to wash my hands afterward.
Mighty Horse Rocks The Fat Ass.

Achtung Englander

Post by Achtung Englander » Thu Oct 04, 2018 8:27 am

Hotel Artemis

Judge Dredd meets Bioshock meets John Wick. I did like the whole look of it and it kept reminding me of what a Bioshock movie would look like with all that art deco. The film certainly had some good points such as Jeff Goldblum who with just 2 lines of dialogue made the film for me. He is still Jeff Goldblum but it was nice to see him play out of character with great comedy timing. Zach Quinto character was fun and was under used. It picked up towards the end but the film squandered the premise of the hotel and for most of it there a lot of cliché and it was a bit boring at times. I could watch anything Jeff Goldblum is in.

6/10

Sly Boots
Bar Staff

Post by Sly Boots » Sat Oct 13, 2018 10:16 pm

Seven Psychopaths

Really enjoyed that, starts off as if it's going to be a standard mob revenge story, which the film then begins satirising about halfway through and by the end becomes something else entirely. Walken, Rockwell and Harrelson in particular seem to have a lot of fun in their various roles. Afterwards learned it's by the same guy who wrote and directed Three Billboards Outside Ebbing, Missouri, which I also enjoyed a lot (and which also stars Harrelson and Rockwell), and also In Bruges, which has been sitting in our 'to be watched' pile for a while... may have to give that a watch soon.

Me

Post by Me » Sat Oct 13, 2018 11:46 pm

Yeah, its a very weird film, really pulls away from want you expect. Although it is by the in Bruges guy so I suppose you have to expect it.

Rusty

Post by Rusty » Sun Oct 14, 2018 4:51 pm

Just back from a long haul flight and so managed to watch a heck a lot of films:

Justice League - didn't finish this one as we landed with an hour still to go. What a load of crap.
Ferdinand - Just realised Inever finished this one either due to landing at the other end. Might be ok.
Isle of Dogs - what a cool film!

I can't even remember the other buggers.
-- To be completed at some point --

Achtung Englander

Post by Achtung Englander » Sun Oct 14, 2018 7:07 pm

I hope you did not fly BA. Their 2018 safety video, the one with the Asian comedian and celebrities is the most shocking I have ever seen. I fly BA when I regularly fly to Brussels and every time they play that fucking awful video I put my fingers in my ears. To this day I have never actually watched it. I cannot bear it at all. The Virgin one is a masterpiece in comparison.

Actually on reflection air travel is deemed so safe now the carriers make videos like these because they know no one is listening.

Rusty

Post by Rusty » Sun Oct 14, 2018 8:06 pm

It was TUI and the safety video was completely disneyfied complete with fairy light trails and space astronaut helmets.

Oh, Ready Player One ws one of the others. What another crock of shit. It was aimed at 8 year olds who remember the 80s?
-- To be completed at some point --

Achtung Englander

Post by Achtung Englander » Wed Oct 17, 2018 8:52 pm

The Gift

This is a pretty good thriller. The ending was pretty chilling in its implications :shock: There was a side story that was a little convenient in helping to tie up the narrative strands of the main story. Apart from that - yeah it was alright
7/10

DjchunKfunK
Bar Staff

Post by DjchunKfunK » Thu Oct 18, 2018 12:13 pm

Achtung Englander wrote:
Thu Oct 04, 2018 8:27 am
Hotel Artemis

Judge Dredd meets Bioshock meets John Wick. I did like the whole look of it and it kept reminding me of what a Bioshock movie would look like with all that art deco. The film certainly had some good points such as Jeff Goldblum who with just 2 lines of dialogue made the film for me. He is still Jeff Goldblum but it was nice to see him play out of character with great comedy timing. Zach Quinto character was fun and was under used. It picked up towards the end but the film squandered the premise of the hotel and for most of it there a lot of cliché and it was a bit boring at times. I could watch anything Jeff Goldblum is in.

6/10
I thought Quinto was pretty poor, didn't believe an of his emotions as they just came across as forced. Really liked Batista though.

Solo

What a boring film this was. The actor playing Solo was poorly cast and as soon as Donald Glover turned up I wished he had been playing Solo instead. Only other highlight was Bettany who always plays a good sinister villain, although I thought he should have got more screen time.

Easily the worst Disney Star Wars film, my advice is to just avoid it completely. At least they did the right thing and changed the "Push it!" line from the trailer to "Punch it!"