I Just Watched (Films)

Small Screen. Bigger Screen.
Rossell

Re: I Just Watched (Films)

Post by Rossell » Wed Nov 03, 2021 5:17 pm

Dune.

Still processing but I agree with some of the thoughts on here. Visually stunning, music mixed too loud, ending a bit abrupt (I think putting part one on the posters would help as opposed to just the title card). Really enjoyed it.

As for the cinema experience, I went today for the 1pm showing and there were nine other people in there. That helped a lot. But I went to cineworld and the adverts and trailers have got much worse. It felt like at least 45 minutes and now they put adverts either side of the trailers. Urgh. At least there's a five guys next door for a greasy burger beforehand.

Oh yeah a question.
Spoiler
What happened to Gurney? Aka Josh Brolins character, did he die in the base assault?

Also did anyone feel genuine dread during the worm/spice collector rescue sequence? At the point when they started panicking on the radio.

Sly Boots
Bar Staff

Post by Sly Boots » Wed Nov 03, 2021 5:33 pm

Rossell wrote:
Wed Nov 03, 2021 5:17 pm
Dune.

Still processing but I agree with some of the thoughts on here. Visually stunning, music mixed too loud, ending a bit abrupt (I think putting part one on the posters would help as opposed to just the title card). Really enjoyed it.

As for the cinema experience, I went today for the 1pm showing and there were nine other people in there. That helped a lot. But I went to cineworld and the adverts and trailers have got much worse. It felt like at least 45 minutes and now they put adverts either side of the trailers. Urgh. At least there's a five guys next door for a greasy burger beforehand.

Oh yeah a question.
Spoiler
What happened to Gurney? Aka Josh Brolins character, did he die in the base assault?

Also did anyone feel genuine dread during the worm/spice collector rescue sequence? At the point when they started panicking on the radio.
I can only speak to the book, but
Spoiler
Gurney doesn't die

Rossell

Post by Rossell » Wed Nov 03, 2021 5:37 pm

Ahh, cheers. Will wait for part 2 eagerly.

Achtung Englander

Post by Achtung Englander » Wed Nov 03, 2021 6:16 pm

Spoiler
the rescue scene was handled excellently. I do like the fact its grounded science fiction. Not sure why everyone uses daggers and swords in this universe?
Games playing : Bioshock (Remastered) / Total War Britannia / Dirt 4

Rossell

Post by Rossell » Wed Nov 03, 2021 6:26 pm

Achtung Englander wrote:
Wed Nov 03, 2021 6:16 pm
Spoiler
the rescue scene was handled excellently. I do like the fact its grounded science fiction. Not sure why everyone uses daggers and swords in this universe?
Spoiler
I believe its because of those personal shields they have, apparently they render bullets useless. Although in the base assault you can see the bombs tear straight through them. I enjoyed the rescue scene too, just a proper "shit are they actually going to make it?"

Sly Boots
Bar Staff

Post by Sly Boots » Wed Nov 03, 2021 6:29 pm

Rossell wrote:
Wed Nov 03, 2021 6:26 pm
Achtung Englander wrote:
Wed Nov 03, 2021 6:16 pm
Spoiler
Spoiler
I believe its because of those personal shields they have, apparently they render bullets useless. Although in the base assault you can see the bombs tear straight through them. I enjoyed the rescue scene too, just a proper "shit are they actually going to make it?"
Spoiler
More to the point, they render lasers useless, which is the main firearm technology of the time. When the Harkonnen overthrow the Atreides on Dune, they make use of old-world ballistics which the shields can't guard against. It's a big deal they were able to get hold of these
Again, can only speak to the book

Achtung Englander

Post by Achtung Englander » Wed Nov 03, 2021 6:59 pm

oh I see - it all makes sense - thanks

Rossell

Post by Rossell » Wed Nov 03, 2021 7:55 pm

Cheers Sly, I shall call you Dune Master from now on.

Also, sorry about this but I'm now going to completely ruin it:

Sly Boots
Bar Staff

Post by Sly Boots » Wed Nov 03, 2021 8:21 pm

:lol:

Raid
Local

Post by Raid » Wed Nov 03, 2021 9:40 pm

Are the shields penetrated by a slow strike of a dagger in the books too? It doesn't make sense to me that a bullet would penetrate the shield but a fast moving blade wouldn't.

Sly Boots
Bar Staff

Post by Sly Boots » Wed Nov 03, 2021 9:53 pm

Raid wrote:
Wed Nov 03, 2021 9:40 pm
Are the shields penetrated by a slow strike of a dagger in the books too? It doesn't make sense to me that a bullet would penetrate the shield but a fast moving blade wouldn't.
Yes, in fact when Paul first fights a Fremen they think he's taking the piss because of his fighting style, which was designed to be effective against shields (which the Fremen don't use).

I'd have to read it again to be sure on the bullets thing, I know they used artillery shells to great effect.

Achtung Englander

Post by Achtung Englander » Wed Nov 03, 2021 10:42 pm

The Green Knight (Prime)

I really liked the style of this film even though I nearly fell asleep twice. I did it in two sittings and you have to see this in complete darkness as so many scenes are at night with little light.

Although this is very much a marmite sort of film (you either love it or hate it) I thought the acting, direction and music is great. I also enjoyed the story and the fantasy aspects of the film. Some of the visuals were gorgeous. The colour blindness of the cast did not bother me, if anything I think it enhanced it a tad.

I will see this again, after having drunk a cup of coffee. :D I might even pick this up on UHD disc one day in the future as I think this film grows with every viewing.

It's not for everyone.

8/10

Achtung Englander

Post by Achtung Englander » Wed Nov 03, 2021 11:33 pm

further question regards the Dune book. Does it have footnotes? I have a Kindle copy but might get a paper version if footnotes are included as Kindle sucks as footnotes.

Sly Boots
Bar Staff

Post by Sly Boots » Thu Nov 04, 2021 12:07 am

Achtung Englander wrote:
Wed Nov 03, 2021 11:33 pm
further question regards the Dune book. Does it have footnotes? I have a Kindle copy but might get a paper version if footnotes are included as Kindle sucks as footnotes.
Not footnotes, but it does have several appendices and a glossary.

Achtung Englander

Post by Achtung Englander » Thu Nov 04, 2021 9:01 am

thanks. I'll think I will get a paperback. I see it sold out in HMV's 2 for £6 deal. Good 8-)