I Just Watched (Films)

Small Screen. Bigger Screen.
Wrathbone
Local

Re: I Just Watched (Films)

Post by Wrathbone » Fri Nov 19, 2021 9:58 am

Dunkirk

Beautifully presented, incredibly tense, confusingly told. As much as I enjoyed the film, I don't think the weird out-of-order arrangement of scenes added much, and if anything it muddled things as I tried to figure out what on earth was going on. I guess that may have been an attempt to convey the confusion of the situation? Probably should have just shown the damn thing in order.

Still, what a powerful spectacle.

7/10

Raid
Local

Post by Raid » Fri Nov 19, 2021 10:51 am

Can't argue with any of that. Dunkirk was more an experience than a narrative, but I think it made sense to do it that way when the real-life event is pretty well known.

Alan

Post by Alan » Fri Nov 19, 2021 12:18 pm

Its pure Nolan. Audio visual spectacles. I'll go see all his movies in the cinema, imax even because they are so well shot and well made its just a pity they are all crap beyond that surface candy.

Finch (appleTV)
Tom hanks, his dog and a robot make their way through the apocalypse. We lasted about 20-30mins before being so annoyed by the robot we had to turn it off. It seems to be well received but the robot made Chappie seem like someone I'd want to hang out with. I might try again later when I'm feeling less grumpy. :p
A man who could tell more truth and eat fewer pies.

Achtung Englander

Post by Achtung Englander » Sat Nov 20, 2021 3:48 pm

A superb analysis on why Dune has that certain special element over other CGI. Its all due to lighting and direction.

Games playing : Bioshock (Remastered) / Total War Britannia / Dirt 4

Wrathbone
Local

Post by Wrathbone » Sat Nov 20, 2021 10:47 pm

Tenet

Utter balls. If a plot is demanding in that it is complex and leaves things unanswered and up for speculation, that can work well. If a plot is so obtrusive that after a first viewing the audience has no fucking clue what was going on or why anything was happening, you’re watching Tenet. Nolan can be a bit out there with his sci if, but he shat the bed with this one.

Special mention has to go to the purposeless cameo scene with Sir Michael Caine, playing a character called Sir Michael. Jesus wept.

It does look absolutely breathtaking, for what it’s worth.

4/10

Raid
Local

Post by Raid » Sun Nov 21, 2021 7:08 am

The Infiltrator

A biographical thriller about the infiltration of Pablo Escobar's drug smuggling operation by an American agent. Can't say I enjoyed it much; given the setting I would have expected there to be significantly more tension, but there's barely any, and so it all feels a little dull. The acting's decent, but the film as a whole is nowhere near as exciting as its premise would suggest.

Animalmother
Local

Post by Animalmother » Tue Nov 23, 2021 10:07 am

Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy
I watched this when it first came out and it just didn't work for me. It was confusing, slow and a wee bit boring.

Rewatching it 10 years later and I appreciate how very good it really is. The acting is great, the slowly piecing together of the story and the so 1970's set design you can practically smell the stale cigarette smoke wafting through the screen. Everyone is just about perfectly cast and even Tom Hardy's cockney mumbling doesn't ruin it. The violence is sparse but Jesus is it genuinely unpleasant and shocking in places....
Spoiler
"Do you know this woman?". "No".... Splatter :shock:
If anyone like me didn't get on with it on first viewing it's definitely worth another look. Shame there was never another one made.

Hatredsheart

Post by Hatredsheart » Tue Nov 23, 2021 11:02 am

Just bought the original of this and Smiley's People, both Alec Guinness and Gary Oldman do cracking jobs with this role.
Formerly Dr@gon-UK, but still the Forum Fossil

𝕯𝖔𝖓'𝖙 𝖋𝖊𝖆𝖗 𝕿𝖍𝖊 𝕽𝖊𝖆𝖕𝖊𝖗

Achtung Englander

Post by Achtung Englander » Wed Nov 24, 2021 12:20 am

Hatredsheart wrote:
Tue Nov 23, 2021 11:02 am
Just bought the original of this and Smiley's People, both Alec Guinness and Gary Oldman do cracking jobs with this role.
absolutely. The BBC adaption is actually closer to the book. Smiley's People is also excellent

Achtung Englander

Post by Achtung Englander » Wed Nov 24, 2021 12:21 am

King Richard

This really didn't need to be 2.5 hours. OK, nothing special.

6/10

Solitaire

Post by Solitaire » Thu Nov 25, 2021 1:30 am

Love "Tinker, Tailor, Soldier, Spy," for all those reasons you've mentioned and so much more. The old-school spycraft intrigue, the insane lifestyles and choices that must be made in sacrifice to statehood, the Russians being sold not as cattle for the slaughter but truly dangerous and calculating enemies... Doesn't knowing this all happens, under our noses, get in your head, just a little?

Now don't laugh at me - I've got a boring week ahead of me (thanks Eny for a bit of Breakpoint today! That helped spice things up a bit):

Dances With Wolves

Alrighty then. This made boatloads of money immediately upon it's release, won lots of awards and such. My quick observations: Did Costner read from his journal, i.e., narrate, like a twelve-year-old boy on purpose? Was he pretending to be a rather poorly-read American officer? But the journal was neatly written and decent sketching talent displayed... I dunno. Really threw me out of the story every time I heard his voice. The leading lady pretending she can barely speak English was also painful, though I can understand how thoroughly difficult that would be for a native-English-speaking actor. Anyway, it's a decent cowboy/American frontier story, with lots of telegraphed twists and tropes, and is historically important to the Sioux, not so much the Pawnee however, who are depicted as horse-riding demons.
Last edited by Solitaire on Thu Nov 25, 2021 1:43 pm, edited 2 times in total.
If Edwin's being an Edwin does he call himself an Edwin?

Snowy
Local

Post by Snowy » Thu Nov 25, 2021 7:28 am

I haven't seen that one for years!
RCHD wrote:Snowy is my favourite. He's a metal God.
08/10/2003 - 17/08/2018
10501 :-({|=

Animalmother
Local

Post by Animalmother » Thu Nov 25, 2021 10:59 am

Tatanka!!

Maturin

Post by Maturin » Thu Nov 25, 2021 11:04 am

I unashamedly adore Dances with Wolves. The wooden narration aside, it's brilliantly directed by Costner. The man should have forged his subsequent career behind the camera, not in front of it!

I do actually quite like Costner though as an actor, so that's a bit unfair. Especially post-Prince of Thieves.

Also, it has one of the greatest film scores in cinema history IMO.

Achtung Englander

Post by Achtung Englander » Fri Nov 26, 2021 10:44 am

Last Night in Soho

This film is nuts but in a good way. It does come across more like a well polished TV movie. The story does not come across as original and the characters feels a tad cardboard cut out and not very fleshed out but its never boring and it certainly makes you question what is going on. I enjoyed it a lot. As a horror it fails as it is not scary and relies occassionally on jump tactics. As a thriller it works very well.

7/10