I Just Watched (Films)

Small Screen. Bigger Screen.
Raid
Local

Re: I Just Watched (Films)

Post by Raid » Sat Nov 27, 2021 9:21 pm

The Harder They Fall (Netflix)

I really enjoyed this. It's approaching a Tarantino film in its action sequences and soundtrack, albeit with maybe a little less refinement. It's one of the better modern Westerns I've seen, with great use of colour and fantastic sound design.

Achtung Englander

Post by Achtung Englander » Sat Nov 27, 2021 10:04 pm

Klute

As a fan of gritty mystery dramas that were popular in the 70s, this one was completely up my alley. Superb acting from Jane Fonda who completely deserved her Oscar. An amazing film. I am a bit regretful I discovered it so late. The acting, editing and music are sublime. There is an iconic scene, its very simple, of a man staring out of a window in a skyscraper, looking at the Hudson River. Shot in silhouette, when combined with the haunting music, its amazing. I am definitely getting The Criterian Collection Blu Ray.
8/10

Cleanin' Up the Town: Remembering Ghostbusters

A function documentary that is missing the elephant in the room - Bill Murray. Recommend to see if only to appreciate the amount of work that goes into a film. With Netflix making Movies That Made Us, this is the same vein, just less well. 6/10

First Love (Hatsukoi)

This is fantastic fun with a Tarantino vibe to it. Funny and thrilling crime drama that goes tits up, played over one afternoon and a night. 7/10
Games playing : Bioshock (Remastered) / Total War Britannia / Dirt 4

Wrathbone
Local

Post by Wrathbone » Fri Dec 03, 2021 8:39 pm

Finally got round to watching Wonder Woman 1984, which is 2.5 hours of tedious bilge with nothing worth saying or showing. It has none of the charm of the first WW film, instead relying on Chris Pine (back for stupid reasons) gawping at 80s technology while Gal Gadot panders to him and tries to figure out what on earth the story is. At one point she straight up rapes a guy, in a disturbing context that’s not even worth explaining. It’s not like the film gives it any consideration.

The biggest crime is the misuse of Pedro Pascal, who is clearly a remarkable actor, reduced here to a grinning imbecile of a villain.

I struggle to think of a single positive thing to say about it. The picture quality was fine, I guess?

2/10

Raid
Local

Post by Raid » Fri Dec 03, 2021 9:17 pm

I also watched a DCEU film this week; Man of Steel. It's not the first time I've seen it, but I think it's telling that it's the only one of the series that I've bothered re-watching. It's the only Snyder DC film that doesn't irritate me on an aesthetic level, as I absolutely hate the look of the others. There's one scene where Superman is for some reason fighting giant metal tentacles that looks awful, but it's more the dizzying, groundless pace of it all rather than the utterly obvious blue-screen work in later entries.

It's probably my favourite Superman film, but honestly that's not saying much. I've never been a fan of the character, it has a better plot than Superman Returns, and even when I was a kid the Christopher Reeve ones were just a little too camp. The premise at least feels vaguely sensible compared to the likes of Batman vs. Superman (two men who refuse to kill in a duel to the death, in a fight that should be so absurdly one-sided that it completely loses credibility), and it at least intersperses the well-trodden origin story throughout in brief flashbacks rather than forcing audiences to sit through half an hour of it in one go. I like the casting too, although Lawrence Fishburne feels a little underused.

It's enjoyable enough, inoffensive perhaps, but still doesn't really hold a candle to Marvel's better films.

Snowy
Local

Post by Snowy » Sat Dec 04, 2021 10:33 am

Raid wrote:
Sat Nov 27, 2021 9:21 pm
The Harder They Fall (Netflix)

I really enjoyed this. It's approaching a Tarantino film in its action sequences and soundtrack, albeit with maybe a little less refinement. It's one of the better modern Westerns I've seen, with great use of colour and fantastic sound design.
Agree, this one is a belter.
RCHD wrote:Snowy is my favourite. He's a metal God.
08/10/2003 - 17/08/2018
10501 :-({|=

Achtung Englander

Post by Achtung Englander » Sat Dec 04, 2021 11:50 pm

Dune (1984) Netflix

So I have not seen this for a long long time (maybe going back 20 years). Oh my god - it is like seeing a kids nativity play compared to the 2021 version. I must admit some of the imagary is good but the last 40 min is just crammed in. Its a bit of a mess.

5/10

Sly Boots
Bar Staff

Post by Sly Boots » Sat Dec 04, 2021 11:51 pm

Achtung Englander wrote:
Sat Dec 04, 2021 11:50 pm
Dune (1984) Netflix

So I have not seen this for a long long time (maybe going back 20 years). Oh my god - it is like seeing a kids nativity play compared to the 2021 version. I must admit some of the imagary is good but the last 40 min is just crammed in. Its a bit of a mess.

5/10
And four of those points are for Sting in a posing pouch, right?

Achtung Englander

Post by Achtung Englander » Sun Dec 05, 2021 11:49 am

yes - even the wife stopped what she was doing for a goggle :lol:

Animalmother
Local

Post by Animalmother » Sun Dec 05, 2021 12:33 pm

Achtung Englander wrote:
Sat Dec 04, 2021 11:50 pm
Dune (1984) Netflix

5/10
I watched it as well and that is pretty much what I was going to say. I haven't seen the new one yet so can't compare there. Some of the set design is amazing and there are scenes were there seem to be hundreds of extras milling about. Is there a director's cut of this where the turbo button isn't just suddenly hit near the end and pacing completely goes out the window? (not that I could sit through it..)

Achtung Englander

Post by Achtung Englander » Sun Dec 05, 2021 12:54 pm

you will be surprised by how excellent the new retelling is. It is not just on another level, its on another universe.

Hatredsheart

Post by Hatredsheart » Sun Dec 05, 2021 2:48 pm

Achtung Englander wrote:
Sun Dec 05, 2021 12:54 pm
you will be surprised by how excellent the new retelling is. It is not just on another level, its on another universe.
Totally.
The 4k bluray is out in January and all that's stopped me preordering is the fear that they'd release an extended cut a few months later.
Formerly Dr@gon-UK, but still the Forum Fossil

𝕯𝖔𝖓'𝖙 𝖋𝖊𝖆𝖗 𝕿𝖍𝖊 𝕽𝖊𝖆𝖕𝖊𝖗

Mantis
Landlord

Post by Mantis » Sun Dec 05, 2021 3:23 pm

Caught Sonic The Hedgehog on Netflix the other day when I was too ill to do much else.

It is far better than it has any right to be. Dare I say I actually quite enjoyed it.

Achtung Englander

Post by Achtung Englander » Sun Dec 05, 2021 3:35 pm

yep - it is actually a lot of fun for what it is.

Raid
Local

Post by Raid » Sun Dec 05, 2021 3:47 pm

Agreed, it's surprisingly decent. I thought Carrey was a stupid choice for Robotnik when it was announced, but he steals every scene he's in because he's hamming it up to Ace Ventura levels and he's just extremely entertaining to watch.

Sly Boots
Bar Staff

Post by Sly Boots » Sun Dec 05, 2021 3:56 pm

I enjoyed it as well, it's not a classic but one of the better kid's films we've watched recently.