I Just Watched (Films)

Small Screen. Bigger Screen.
Animalmother
Local

Re: I Just Watched (Films)

Post by Animalmother » Wed Jul 22, 2020 11:08 am

Uhhh, thanks for the recommendation. There's a sequel as well but I get the impression it's a bit bland.

Raid
Local

Post by Raid » Sat Aug 01, 2020 9:54 pm

Avengers: Endgame - I think when I watched this in cinemas, I was a little let down by the whole thing. It was a great film, sure, but at the time I didn't think it hit the level of Infinity War which I'd re-watched the night before. On the second time around, with one part that was a notable exception*, it was in fact the ending that the first ten plus years of the MCU needed.

Oh, and;

The Entire Marvel Cinematic Universe (well, minus the Hulk film that sorta belongs in the continuity but was handled by a different team) - Yeeeaahhh, so I've been watching a Marvel film almost every saturday for months. When lockdown started, my housemate and I subscribed to Disney+ and I've pretty much watched the entire franchise in order since. I'm not going to review every film, as frankly I doubt anyone would care enough to read the entire thing, but here's some categorisation:

Not great: - Iron Man 3. Really, that's it. It just doesn't work; the PTSD theme isn't handled well enough when the man it affects is so ridiculously capable, and it doesn't make for a satisfying Iron Man film either.

Better on a second viewing
-Guardians of the Galaxy Part II - It just doesn't hit the same humourous notes as the first, but otherwise it's probably just as good.
-Captain Marvel - The montage where you see Danvers' "failures" turned into moments of strength, followed by her unlocking of her true potential is honestly tear-jerking. Considering this was a filler film between the two latter Avengers films, it was better than it perhaps ought to have been. I was only made aware of Brie Larson's comments that apparently caused something of a furore after the second viewing, but I really don't think they detract.

Top tier:
-Iron Man: I think it's safe to say Robert Downey Jr. was a major part of this franchise's success, and he was utterly believable as the Genius, Billionaire, Playboy, Philanthropist. Watching as he built the Mk.3 suit was a key moment, and those construction montages were a highlight of both the first and second Iron Man films.
-Thor Ragnorok: I think this is the strongest "solo" film in the franchise. I think all of the Thor films are better than their reputations, but this was magnificent. It was immensely quotable ("Piss off, ghost" is one of my favourite lines in cinema, not just the MCU), and it always remembers how ridiculous the concept and setting are, and plays up to that with great humour and a sense of fun. Synthwave is my current aesthetic of choice, so this hit a lot of stylistic notes, as well as being brilliantly funny.
-Doctor Strange: I think this one was better than it had rights to be. It's an absolute masterpiece of special effects, and it's one of the few MCU films that I'd say had a great soundtrack (which is of little surprise given it was lead by Michael Giacchino). The MCU has continuously impressed me by how it made frankly quite silly concepts believable, and this was the biggest surprise in that regard - wizard magic joins technical expertise, space gods and toned musculature as sensible backgrounds for a superhero.
-Avengers: Infinity War and Endgame: It's staggering how much they fit into these two films, and how cohesively it all fits together. Not only does it contain so many Crowning Moments of Awesome that it's difficult to list my favourites (though for the record, they are Thor's appearance in Wakanda, Cap's reveal that he's capable of wielding Mjolnir, and Thor's "I'm still worthy", which honestly brings a tear to the eye for someone who is also struggling with depression). Endgame in particular deals with so many themes that the superhero genre perhaps wouldn't normally include, and does so well, that it's genuinely impressive. I'm not going to lie, it brought a tear to my eye on too many occasions to list. Loss, guilt, depression, moving on... they're all represented surprisingly thoughtfully.

I think as a whole this is an incredible collection of films in a relatively short space of time. There isn't really a bad actor in the whole thing, and the major stars never feel like they're phoning it in considering the length of time they've been playing the same parts.

*The notable exception is the cringeworthy part where all of the female characters join together during the climactic battle. I've spoken to a friend who is a... shall we say strongly minded feminist, and she agrees with me. It's awful. The strongest character in the MCU is already a woman, and this just felt entirely forced and unnecessary. It's the only part of Endgame that feels like it was designed by committee.

Achtung Englander

Post by Achtung Englander » Mon Aug 03, 2020 9:07 am

Doctor Sleep

6/10

This was never going to be easy.

Making a sequel to The Shining is a tall order, even when it comes from the pen of Stephen King. Personally I prefer Kubrick's version of the story than King's and obviously that is what the director, Mike Flanagan, of this movie thought as well. Unlike Kubrick who is used his mastery of camera angles, lighting, set design and tight script, none of that is here. In fact the film shines (pun intended) when the final act gets to the Overlook hotel and you once again appreciate the craftsmanship that went into that production. Flanagan's direction is very matter of the fact and modern and flat. So flat that almost the entire film is devoid of scariness. Where The Shining built on a sense of anxiety, none of that is in play with this film. In fact the very last act of the film is borderline comical but not in a haha intentional way. It's a bit stupid.

To its credit the film is very engaging and between King and Flanagan they have managed to extend the universe of The Shining with some logical extensions. I was never bored as I was never scarred. This film does not take away anything from The Shining but at the same token I do not think it really adds anything to it either.

Put it this way I do not see film studies or books or YouTube videos analyzing Doctor Sleep forty years from now as we see with The Shining. This film is OK verging on good but all it does is shines (there I did it again) a spot on why The Shining is so good.

Saying that the main performances from McGregor, Ferguson and Curran (who is excellent as a child actor) are all very good.
Games playing : Bioshock (Remastered) / Total War Britannia / Dirt 4

Wrathbone
Local

Post by Wrathbone » Mon Aug 03, 2020 9:21 am

Raid wrote:
Sat Aug 01, 2020 9:54 pm
I'm not going to review every film, as frankly I doubt anyone would care enough to read the entire thing
I would! :lol:

I broadly agree with all your comments on the MCU, particularly on Iron Man 3. The whole thing feels... 'off', which is a shame because there were the seeds of something really good in the story. The PTSD thing could have been much stronger, but instead it's resolved by him calming down after a major panic attack by realising he likes building things, then it's never mentioned again.

I will maintain to the end of days that Iron Man 2 is one of the strongest and most unfairly maligned films in the entire MCU. ;)

Rossell

Post by Rossell » Mon Aug 03, 2020 10:17 am

I agree with you on both iron man 2 and 3. 3 did have the advantage of the suit battle at the end which I loved. Iron man 2 also gets a bad rep, I enjoyed it though Sam Rockwells character pissed me off everytime.

Raid
Local

Post by Raid » Mon Aug 03, 2020 3:47 pm

See I really liked Rockwell's part; Hammer is a man constantly living in the shadow of Stark. Hammer Industries is not as advanced a company, Hammer just isn't as brilliant a man, and even socially he doesn't have Stark's wit or charm. Stark is genuine, but Hammer is living an act. You can see it in that "dance-walk" he does when approaching a podium; it's all so forced, and I think Rockwell plays that brilliantly.

Mantis
Landlord

Post by Mantis » Mon Aug 03, 2020 9:00 pm

2 hasn't clicked with me twice now and I'm not sure I could muster the interest to rewatch it again. Broadly agreed on your assessment of the whole cinematic universe though, particularly about Endgame and Infinity War. I missed Endgame at the cinema as I was burnt out on super hero movies at the time so only watched it for the first time recently on Disney Plus.

I would say Iron Man 3 is better than 2 but neither are particularly high moments for the franchise. Iron Man 1 however, remains one of my favourite in the franchise. I'd probably rank it joint best alongside Thor Ragnarok and Guardians 1.

Achtung Englander

Post by Achtung Englander » Sat Aug 08, 2020 2:38 pm

Swinging Safari - Amazon Prime

3/10

What a shit film. The surprising thing about this mess of a film is why Kylie Minogue would want to be associated with it. Plotless and devoid of humour throughout the film. Branded as a comedy I think I raised a smile two or three times. Disgusting people who have nothing to say. Apparently Australians either think this is brilliant as it captures the spirit of Australia in the 1970s or are embarrassed this exists in the canon of Australian cinema. The ending is amusing but that is in the last 5 minutes of a thoroughly unsettling film.

Raid
Local

Post by Raid » Sat Aug 08, 2020 8:43 pm

Solo - A Star Wars Story

I enjoyed this far more the second time around. Once you know all of the gratuitous fanservice moments, you can largely ignore them and concentrate on what is otherwise a decent action film set in the Star Wars universe. Don't get me wrong, there was absolutely no reason for this film to exist; I don't give a damn how Han got his last name, blaster or lucky sabacc dice, but it's a fun heist film with a fantastic look and great soundtrack. Donald Glover is probably the star of the film, and I think it's a much better Lando film than a Han one. I don't particularly like Alden Ehrenreich as Han - he plays up to Han's cockiness too much, and he just ends up looking smug with the constant exaggerated grin.

It also fits into the universe a little better if you've seen the latter seasons of The Clone Wars which I hadn't on first viewing (particularly the last one which was made after Solo). If anything, the reveal at the end was probably more exciting than the rest of the film, and it's a shame that we haven't really had a pay-off for it yet. I suspect some weren't keen on the L3-37 arc either, but I think it adds an interesting quirk to the odd relationship between organic life and droids in the setting. I don't think it really adds anything to the film, and it does feel like an "added by committee" aspect, but I didn't hate it. Phoebe Waller-Bridge was a great choice for the role.

Achtung Englander

Post by Achtung Englander » Sun Aug 09, 2020 9:41 am

Late Night

5/10

More of a girls' film. Its about a late night chat show who has lost her mojo. Like who cares ! In this day and age - really who is going to feel sympathetic. Very much in the throws of the whole metoo and wokeness that has gripped western society. Meh. Also a comedy at least with this one I did laugh half a dozen times.

Animalmother
Local

Post by Animalmother » Sun Aug 09, 2020 12:53 pm

Upgrade
Fun film about a paralysed man getting an AI chip installed in his back that allows him to walk again (and talks to him...). The fights are brutal usually ending in some excellent practical effects. The acting is surprisingly good with the main actor being a real standout. Lovely synth soundtrack as well to round it off. Plus its on Netflix now so I'd highly recommend.

It's also very funny in places :lol:

Hatredsheart

Post by Hatredsheart » Sun Aug 09, 2020 2:12 pm

Agreed, I don't think they had a stellar budget but they did a cracking job.
Formerly Dr@gon-UK, but still the Forum Fossil

𝕯𝖔𝖓'𝖙 𝖋𝖊𝖆𝖗 𝕿𝖍𝖊 𝕽𝖊𝖆𝖕𝖊𝖗

Wrathbone
Local

Post by Wrathbone » Fri Aug 14, 2020 8:36 am

Hamilton

Not a film as such, but I watched the recorded performance on Disney+ as I've heard nothing but praise for it.

That praise is well deserved - it's a bit good. Considering I've zero interest in rap or hip-hop, I was surprised how much I enjoyed the music as well as the story itself. It's sharp, witty, cutting and designed with exceptional intricacy.

I can't say it's for everyone. I can only imagine, for instance, that my parents would watch it and spend the entire time quizically wondering why George Washington and Thomas Jefferson are black. If you've no interest in American revolutionary history either it might be a hard sell. Still, for me it was an eye-opener to a genre I didn't think I'd like, so maybe it will pleasantly surprise others too.

9/10

Sly Boots
Bar Staff

Post by Sly Boots » Fri Aug 14, 2020 9:01 am

Yeah, I must admit I'd seen it was on there and curious about the fuss being made of it, had suggested to the wife that we give it a go. She wasn't convinced, but maybe we'll give it a go over the weekend or something.

Wrathbone
Local

Post by Wrathbone » Fri Aug 14, 2020 9:38 am

It defies certain expectations. I mistakenly went into it assuming that it was about slavery due to the setting and diverse cast, which is a shameful assumption in hindsight. Slavery is mentioned, and immigration is certainly a major topic, but it's really not what it's about. Reading up on it, the diversity and prominent use of non-white actors for figures such as the founding fathers is an intentional, conceptual choice. Lin-Manuel Miranda wanted the story of America's past to be told by the America of today, and to his credit that concept shines through and works brilliantly.