Local

Re: Good TV (aka, the TV series spamthread), the second series

Post by Snowy » Sat Oct 03, 2020 11:21 am

Drarok wrote:
Fri Oct 02, 2020 5:45 pm
Animalmother wrote:
Fri Oct 02, 2020 5:28 pm
Managed to see first few episodes of Letterkenny, fucking hilarious :lol:
Yessssss!!! I'm so happy when someone else discovers this show, hope it gets more attention.
I am also hooked. I watched the first episode with my wife last weekend and while we thought it was funny we both struggled to understand everything that was said. Last night we fired it back up just to give it another go and ended up falling about laughing and watching about 5 episodes on the bounce.
RCHD wrote:Snowy is my favourite. He's a metal God.
08/10/2003 - 17/08/2018
10501 :-({|=

Snowy
Local

Post by Snowy » Sun Oct 04, 2020 7:57 am

Watched the first Spitting Image last night via Britbox. Wasn't bad, made me laugh in a number of sketches, and nice to see it back after so many years.
08/10/2003 - 17/08/2018

elgaucho

Post by elgaucho » Mon Oct 05, 2020 4:11 pm

If anyone has Apple TV I highly recommend Ted Lasso.

Expected absolutely nothing and got one of the most wholesome shows i've watched in years! :D
Proud PW Member since 15/10/2003
A lurktastic 2678 posts!

Drarok

Post by Drarok » Mon Oct 05, 2020 8:51 pm

One of my friends binged Ted Lasso in record time, said also how wholesome it was. Created by Bill Lawrence of Scrubs fame, right?

I'll be bumping it up my "to watch" list accordingly.
Raid wrote:
Thu Jan 28, 2021 2:24 pm
And that's the story of why I'm not allowed near pregnant women for the next few weeks.

Sly Boots
Bar Staff

Post by Sly Boots » Mon Oct 05, 2020 9:22 pm

If you want a football-themed comedy that isn't the least bit wholesome, I quite enjoyed The First Team on iPlayer, by the Inbetweeners writers.

Drarok

Post by Drarok » Tue Oct 06, 2020 8:42 am

If you want an American-Football-adjacent comedy, I enjoyed Blue Mountain State. It's not really about the "football" so much as that's a backdrop for college blowout storylines of drink and drugs.
Raid wrote:
Thu Jan 28, 2021 2:24 pm
And that's the story of why I'm not allowed near pregnant women for the next few weeks.

Alan

Post by Alan » Fri Oct 09, 2020 5:15 pm

Up to date on Saul. That show is so bloody good.

Started watching Lovecraft Country and I really love it so far. It gives a more effective vision of Jim Crow in its first 15mins than Green Book did its whole run time.
A man who could tell more truth and eat fewer pies.

Raid
Local

Post by Raid » Tue Oct 13, 2020 7:34 pm

Better Call Saul has been one of the most consistently excellent programmes I've watched over the last five years.

It's only taken me 20 years, but I finally got around to watching Spaced. I enjoyed it, but it felt like it could have done with a third series. It's strange, obviously when the series aired the subject matter and references were probably considered... alternative, whereas now it's all very mainstream.

Sly Boots
Bar Staff

Post by Sly Boots » Tue Oct 13, 2020 8:32 pm

It sounds crazy, but I'd actually be hard pushed to say whether I think Saul or Breaking Bad is the better show. BB is more shocking, but BCS is equally compelling imho.

Love Spaced as well. Even all these years later I end up quoting Marsha whenever someone named Brian pops up in conversation or I pull a cork from a bottle of wine (a muffled "whaay" from the next room :lol:)

The other day my wife was moaning about something the kids were watching, and I rejoined with "But what about the ewoks, Tim?"

Raid
Local

Post by Raid » Tue Oct 13, 2020 9:30 pm

Sly Boots wrote:
Tue Oct 13, 2020 8:32 pm
It sounds crazy, but I'd actually be hard pushed to say whether I think Saul or Breaking Bad is the better show. BB is more shocking, but BCS is equally compelling imho.
I don't think that's all that crazy, I've considered the same opinion myself. I usually come down on Breaking Bad being the better watch, purely because there's usually more of an element of unpredictability, but Saul has this building tension where you know what has to happen by the end of a plotline, but seeing how characters react to it is more compelling than what happened in Bad. I think Saul has better characters too; Jimmy is an absolute treat to watch of course, but all of the supporting cast are phenomenally good. I absolutely loved Chuck's idiosyncrasies, Kim's willingness to bend her ethics, Howard's... everything really - he's an amazing antagonist. And that's just the legal side of things; what Saul does so well is making sure the lawyer action is just as interesting and enticing as that of the evil drug lords.

Mantis
Landlord

Post by Mantis » Tue Oct 13, 2020 11:21 pm

I verge on thinking Saul is better too, particularly the last couple of seasons. The thing is that because we know certain members of the cast survive into Breaking Bad I feel like it really ups the tension in plots following the more minor characters like Kim and Nacho, and the show has built them up enough to make you care about the outcome.

The show is so brilliantly shot too, Vince Gilligan has definitely advanced as a director over the years.

Alan

Post by Alan » Wed Oct 14, 2020 1:46 am

Saul is far more consistently good. BB had a bunch of duffers, can’t really think of a bad Saul episode.
A man who could tell more truth and eat fewer pies.

Snowy
Local

Post by Snowy » Sun Oct 18, 2020 4:37 pm

Yeah having re-watched BB again following enjoying the most recent BCS so much, there are some really turgid sections in it. It serves to make the shocks that much more shocking I suppose, but I got bored during several episodes. I think BCS is the better series too, there is no need for explanation as you know what is coming, so it serves to make those views into the various characters' stories feel so much more vicarious and interesting.
08/10/2003 - 17/08/2018

Hatredsheart

Post by Hatredsheart » Sun Oct 18, 2020 5:25 pm

Alan wrote:
Wed Oct 14, 2020 1:46 am
Saul is far more consistently good. BB had a bunch of duffers, can’t really think of a bad Saul episode.
Indeed. The fly in the lab episode springs to mind.
Formerly Dr@gon-UK, but still the Forum Fossil

𝕯𝖔𝖓'𝖙 𝖋𝖊𝖆𝖗 𝕿𝖍𝖊 𝕽𝖊𝖆𝖕𝖊𝖗

Tommy

Post by Tommy » Sun Oct 18, 2020 6:50 pm

elgaucho wrote:
Mon Oct 05, 2020 4:11 pm
If anyone has Apple TV I highly recommend Ted Lasso.

Expected absolutely nothing and got one of the most wholesome shows i've watched in years! :D
Five minutes ago I was discussing the free year trial of Apple TV I will be getting as part of my new phone contract and saying i'll probably not use it because of the lack of decent shows. 8-)