Good TV (aka, the TV series spamthread), the second series

Small Screen. Bigger Screen.
Lenny Solidus

Re: Good TV (aka, the TV series spamthread), the second series

Post by Lenny Solidus » Mon Sep 26, 2022 11:02 pm

All great points Sly, I did very much ignore the real contrast of certain time periods and just where and with whom Jeff was associating himself with when it came to his hunting grounds - as controlled as he was by his impulses he knew what he was doing was entirely within the right circles that would make his crimes all the more easier to get away with.

Dahmer: Episode 6
Spoiler
This episode was something else though, at times uplifting with some great 80's musical picks I knew all too well and then utterly soul crushing with it, there was even one point one moment of madness where I felt a sense of almost happiness and relief for Jeff on the cusp of finding love and the much-needed companionship that may finally have changed him, then it all collapsed. Tony, fuck man - he's just so incredibly likeable, my heart completely sank when he had to return to Jeff and I knew his fate was sealed. The conversation with the three deaf males around a table was such a well written scene coupled with the use of how sound was depicted, it almost felt like a Tarantino scene at times.

But yes, that was the toughest episode yet not because of the darkness it brought but because of completely the opposite, a sense of hope happiness and a guy who clearly deserved all the love respect and dreams he had to be fully realised. Fuck man, the game with the bones too - shivers.
Building the future, and keeping the past alive - are one and the same thing.

Sly Boots
Bar Staff

Post by Sly Boots » Tue Sep 27, 2022 6:05 am

Yep, 100% agree on that summary

Alan

Post by Alan » Tue Sep 27, 2022 12:44 pm

She Hulk
She turns a bit green but get massive tits and thick luscious hair. How come Ruffalo didnt get a humongous package?

Only Murders In The Building
I find things centred around podcasts to be quite cringeworthy in general and though I do feel that here its pretty good so far.

Sandman
Still slowly getting through this, I think we have about 3 eps to go. Still really liking it though the battle for the helm felt like a reallllllly rubbish misstep. I mean, its also one of the most Gaiman things ever but its still crap ;)

Better Call Saul
Didnt really like the last 30mins with the exception of the high contrast shot of the two of them in the sun. All in a bloody great series. I think BB probably reached slightly higher highs but Saul never dropped down as low as some parts of BB did so overall I think Saul was the better series. That said they are both standing on each others shoulders so if we just take it as a whole its probably the best telly ever. So consistent over so many episodes over such a long time scale. Except the Jessie film, we'll just ignore that.
A man who could tell more truth and eat fewer pies.

Sly Boots
Bar Staff

Post by Sly Boots » Tue Sep 27, 2022 1:09 pm

I actually really like Only Murders In The Building, although I'm naturally predisposed to liking anything Steve Martin does because of nostalgia lol.

There are some pretty funny moments throughout, particularly Martin's physical comedy in the S1 finale (no spoilers).

Sly Boots
Bar Staff

Post by Sly Boots » Tue Sep 27, 2022 3:44 pm

I imagine this is going to be the marmitiest of marmitey shows, but fans of deeply unsettling/creepy comedy should check out Don't Hug Me I'm Scared on All4.

It's hard to really describe what it is, but imagine Sesame Street written by Wes Craven and directed by David Lynch.

Sly Boots
Bar Staff

Post by Sly Boots » Wed Sep 28, 2022 2:55 pm

Sly Boots wrote:
Tue Sep 27, 2022 3:44 pm
I imagine this is going to be the marmitiest of marmitey shows, but fans of deeply unsettling/creepy comedy should check out Don't Hug Me I'm Scared on All4.

It's hard to really describe what it is, but imagine Sesame Street written by Wes Craven and directed by David Lynch.
Binged all 6 episodes, and this is pure genius/nightmare fuel. I really hope others watch it as I really want to talk about it more :lol:

Achtung Englander

Post by Achtung Englander » Sun Oct 02, 2022 3:12 pm

Games playing : Bioshock (Remastered) / Total War Britannia / Dirt 4

Rusty

Post by Rusty » Mon Oct 03, 2022 6:47 am

Once it's pointed out it's clear there is some copy paste going on, but I studied the freeze frame for a while before the video really kicked off and I struggled to see them.
In the actual episode with movement and briefness I would not have seen it at all.

I still think the CGI in this programme is brilliant.
-- To be completed at some point --

Animalmother
Local

Post by Animalmother » Tue Oct 04, 2022 11:41 am

I started watching The Orville a while back and enjoyed the first 2 seasons, it managed to mix humor with Star Trek type sci-fi. A bit silly but great use of practical effects and good CGI. Then I got to season 3 and am genuinely struggling to get through each episode, to the point where I'll fast forward scenes to get to something good. They obviously upped the budget but lost the humor and it's just turned into bad space battles and explosions. And the inclusion of musical stuff is fucking painful to watch at times. Maybe it's just me.

On the other hand, For All Mankind season 3 while off to a shaky start is just great to watch. Alternative history that manages to ground itself in reality and is tense as balls during the space exploration stuff. Space is dangerous and people die so you just never know if a characters number is up.

Raid
Local

Post by Raid » Tue Oct 04, 2022 11:51 am

I've had a pretty much opposite reaction to The Orville; I tolerated the poor attempts at humour in the first couple of years as the show underneath was pretty decent, and really appreciated them dropping the vast majority of it for the third. I do agree on the gratuitous space battles though; clearly they've spent a lot more on them this year than they have in the past, but they often don't add anything.

Animalmother
Local

Post by Animalmother » Tue Oct 04, 2022 12:27 pm

Huge spaceships all clustered together and flying directly into another clump of huge ships while all firing with wild abandon.

I'm not a Star Trek fan, always found it a bit po-faced and slightly up its own arse for my liking. So the silliness in The Orville took that edge off it for me.

Lenny Solidus

Post by Lenny Solidus » Tue Oct 04, 2022 2:12 pm

Cobra Kai season 5

Well, that was vastly disappointing. What in god's name happened to the level of acting on display? Why did they feel the need to insert crappy punchy/emotional music in every part of every scene? Where did all the fun rivalries go? How the bloody hell can you reintroduce Mike 'Bad Boy Karate' Barnes and yet have him be so wildly uninteresting, adding so little to proceedings? While everyone else was waiting on Silver, Mike was what I was always waiting on, and his inclusion totally sucked balls. Hawk Miguel Robby and Tory were all ripped of everything that made them great characters and were turned into practically boring background characters. Fight choreography was now all completely naff. Why? Silver's arc was ok but it didn't exactly blow me away.

I'm kind of shocked at how much praise this season has been awarded, I thought it was fucking terrible.

Addition - I really disliked how much they concentrated on Chozen, he was just irritating and made scenes lacking or just plain goofy much of the time.

Second Addition - Daniel's wig made me a little too obsessed/crazy with how it was positioned in every episode.
Building the future, and keeping the past alive - are one and the same thing.

Snowy
Local

Post by Snowy » Tue Oct 04, 2022 4:50 pm

Alan wrote:
Tue Sep 27, 2022 12:44 pm
Sandman
Still slowly getting through this, I think we have about 3 eps to go. Still really liking it though the battle for the helm felt like a reallllllly rubbish misstep. I mean, its also one of the most Gaiman things ever but its still crap ;)
Absolutely loved this show, thought it was different and brilliant all at once.

As for Dahmer I am watching it but hating it, it is just too well done to be enjoyable on any level.
RCHD wrote:Snowy is my favourite. He's a metal God.
08/10/2003 - 17/08/2018
10501 :-({|=

Tommy

Post by Tommy » Thu Oct 06, 2022 9:29 pm

Lennyquantum wrote:
Tue Oct 04, 2022 2:12 pm
Cobra Kai season 5

Well, that was vastly disappointing. What in god's name happened to the level of acting on display? Why did they feel the need to insert crappy punchy/emotional music in every part of every scene? Where did all the fun rivalries go? How the bloody hell can you reintroduce Mike 'Bad Boy Karate' Barnes and yet have him be so wildly uninteresting, adding so little to proceedings? While everyone else was waiting on Silver, Mike was what I was always waiting on, and his inclusion totally sucked balls. Hawk Miguel Robby and Tory were all ripped of everything that made them great characters and were turned into practically boring background characters. Fight choreography was now all completely naff. Why? Silver's arc was ok but it didn't exactly blow me away.

I'm kind of shocked at how much praise this season has been awarded, I thought it was fucking terrible.

Addition - I really disliked how much they concentrated on Chozen, he was just irritating and made scenes lacking or just plain goofy much of the time.

Second Addition - Daniel's wig made me a little too obsessed/crazy with how it was positioned in every episode.
So, I really enjoyed it, but
Spoiler
I agree with making the kids background characters. Miguel going to see his Dad, what was the point? I don't fully understand how it was a huge cliffhanger from the previous season that was resolved almost instantly. Tory was brought in with a mysterious angle to her family, which has barely been touched upon other than Sam pitying her.

Chozen is just a comedy character. And bringing that loser character back was basically pointless. Then Kreese leaving the prison like the Joker was just ridiculous. I don't hold high hopes for the final season.

Achtung Englander

Post by Achtung Englander » Fri Oct 07, 2022 9:25 am

Games playing : Bioshock (Remastered) / Total War Britannia / Dirt 4