Good TV (aka, the TV series spamthread), the second series

Small Screen. Bigger Screen.
Animalmother
Local

Re: Good TV (aka, the TV series spamthread), the second series

Post by Animalmother » Wed Mar 22, 2023 2:27 pm

The Fallout style thing? Haven't looked at it as the trailer didn't really get me interested. I'm guessing there's about 4 to 5 episodes of content dragged out to 10, as is the style.

Achtung Englander

Post by Achtung Englander » Thu Mar 23, 2023 2:06 pm

Yes
Games playing : Bioshock (Remastered) / Total War Britannia / Dirt 4

Alan

Post by Alan » Thu Mar 23, 2023 4:37 pm

Servant

We just finished off the final season. Really enjoyed it all the way through. Nice 20min episodes that never overstay their welcome and a pretty decent wrap up. It goes some silly places here and there but always quite entertaining.
A man who could tell more truth and eat fewer pies.

Tommy

Post by Tommy » Sat Mar 25, 2023 5:18 pm

Mythic Quest

It's no Always Sunny, but it's enjoyable enough. There's a few episodes in particular that I think are excellent
Spoiler
Dark Against Death in particular I thought was good and quite emotional, but I did watch it extremely hungover
, but I don't think it's groundbreaking or anything.

Animalmother
Local

Post by Animalmother » Tue Mar 28, 2023 9:20 am

Tulsa King
Only watched the first couple of episodes but it's very good. Sylvester Stallone gets out of prison after 25 years and is shipped off to Tulsa by his mafia boss to keep him out of the way. He immediately starts setting up protection rackets and making money for the boss all the while struggling with modern life. Stallone is great and for a 75 year old still looks like he could fold you in half if the need took him.

Raid
Local

Post by Raid » Wed Mar 29, 2023 7:52 pm

I'm somewhat late to the party with Happy Valley, given that I'm watching the first season which came out in 2014. It's actually better than I'd been expecting, and given how much my mother (who still watches broadcast television) has raved about it I was already expecting it to be pretty damned good. It's all because of lead actress Sarah Lancashire, who quite understandably won a best actress BAFTA for this role. She sells the character so well that, in a fight at the end of episode 4, the tension and panic were palpable, a stronger reaction to anything I had watching The Last of Us. I don't think it's just because I've been through this town numerous times on the train and recognise the landscape.

I think if you can manage a return to a time when "gritty Northern drama" was a genre, this is absolutely worth your time based on what I've seen so far. There are only 18 episodes made over nearly a decade, and they're all on iPlayer.

Sly Boots
Bar Staff

Post by Sly Boots » Wed Mar 29, 2023 9:05 pm

Happy Valley is great. Depressing, but great.

Wrathbone
Local

Post by Wrathbone » Thu Mar 30, 2023 6:09 am

Tommy wrote:
Sat Mar 25, 2023 5:18 pm
Mythic Quest

It's no Always Sunny, but it's enjoyable enough. There's a few episodes in particular that I think are excellent
Spoiler
Dark Against Death in particular I thought was good and quite emotional, but I did watch it extremely hungover
, but I don't think it's groundbreaking or anything.
Yeah, I’ve just caught up to date with it. Great fun to watch, good characters (with the exception of Jo, who I find too overtly nasty compared to Danny Pudi’s understated scheming evil), interesting and relatable topic.

Drarok

Post by Drarok » Thu Mar 30, 2023 10:55 am

I've enjoyed Mythic Quest overall, yeah. Agree about Jo, bit of a shit character but bearable.

I really enjoyed the depiction of Poppy getting into the zone, fingers flying, everything's awesome… then someone interrupts. I was like that Leo DiCaprio pointing meme, it's so true.
Raid wrote:
Thu Jan 28, 2021 2:24 pm
And that's the story of why I'm not allowed near pregnant women for the next few weeks.

Wrathbone
Local

Post by Wrathbone » Thu Mar 30, 2023 11:44 am

Drarok wrote:
Thu Mar 30, 2023 10:55 am
I really enjoyed the depiction of Poppy getting into the zone, fingers flying, everything's awesome… then someone interrupts. I was like that Leo DiCaprio pointing meme, it's so true.
100% - my entire morning's been like that.

Achtung Englander

Post by Achtung Englander » Sun Apr 02, 2023 2:36 pm

Slow Horses s2 (Apple+)

7/10

Better than season 1 but still a little over the top
Games playing : Bioshock (Remastered) / Total War Britannia / Dirt 4

Animalmother
Local

Post by Animalmother » Sat Apr 15, 2023 11:52 am

All of Justified is now on Disney Plus, might give it a look after the recommendations here.

Animalmother
Local

Post by Animalmother » Mon Apr 17, 2023 1:18 pm

First episode of Justified, it's ok I suppose. Walton Goggins is always great, everyone left me a bit cold. It just felt like a 100 shows I've seen before, maybe it gets better as it goes on but I'm just not arsed finding out. Sorry chaps.

Animalmother
Local

Post by Animalmother » Wed May 31, 2023 5:11 pm

Severance
A small group of people working for a mysterious company have their consciousness split between work and home but have no memory of either essentially making them 2 separate people. It's a bit of a mind fuck but very enjoyable as more is revealed each episode.

Yellow Jackets
I've only watched one episode so still not sure about this one. Told in flashbacks, a girls soccer team that crashes in a remote mountain region and it all goes Lord of the Flies.

Alan

Post by Alan » Fri Jun 09, 2023 6:39 pm

Dead Ringers (prime)
6 episode remake of the Cronenberg movie. Rachel Weisz plays the Mantle twins superbly and it feels like she had fun doing do. Its a really bloody good remake! Emphasis on bloody because there’s a whole lot of practical effects from graphic births to chopping and cutting. There’s a few moments towards the end that it gets a bit shakey and the uh.. repercussions of the climax seem more than improbable. It’s far from perfect but it’s still quite great. I recommend unless you’re super squeamish.

The Rookie
Nathan Fillion gets a divorce and decides to become a cop and be the oldest rookie on the force. I’m a few episodes in and apparently every day is full of action and shootouts. It’s really just another procedural but it’s watchable. It’s the kind of thing I’ll stick on while playing something grindy like Diablo or that SF6 world tour mode.
A man who could tell more truth and eat fewer pies.