Good TV (aka, the TV series spamthread), the second series

Small Screen. Bigger Screen.
Sly Boots
Bar Staff

Re: Good TV (aka, the TV series spamthread), the second series

Post by Sly Boots » Mon Nov 05, 2018 12:55 pm

Drarok wrote:
Mon Nov 05, 2018 12:40 pm
I assume people are on about The Tick from 2016 starring Peter Serafinowicz, not the other two options?
Yes (though it was last year surely? :-k ), although the cartoon from the 90s(?) is also good.

Tommy

Post by Tommy » Mon Nov 05, 2018 7:44 pm

Is F is for Family any good? I'm a huge fan of Bill Burr but I didn't really enjoy the part I saw.

Sly Boots
Bar Staff

Post by Sly Boots » Mon Nov 05, 2018 8:11 pm

Tommy wrote:
Mon Nov 05, 2018 7:44 pm
Is F is for Family any good? I'm a huge fan of Bill Burr but I didn't really enjoy the part I saw.
Gets better as you watch it, it's also better if you don't think of it as a straight comedy but more of a comedy-drama.

Tichinde

Post by Tichinde » Mon Nov 05, 2018 10:52 pm

If anyone hasn't watched Castlevania on Netflix I'll be the first to say it's great.
The animation, especially during the fights is great, and the voice acting is spot on from everyone.
Well worth the time spent.
"Religion, shit it" - Stephen Fry

Animalmother
Local

Post by Animalmother » Mon Nov 05, 2018 11:07 pm

Tichinde wrote:
Mon Nov 05, 2018 10:52 pm
If anyone hasn't watched Castlevania on Netflix I'll be the first to say it's great.
The animation, especially during the fights is great, and the voice acting is spot on from everyone.
Well worth the time spent.
Its not too bad is it, pretty funny as well.

Dead Set is back on Netflix and its a great bit of horror comedy/satire from Charlie Brooker. Its 10 years old now, is Big Brother even still on anymore?

Achtung Englander

Post by Achtung Englander » Mon Nov 05, 2018 11:52 pm

Castelvania is another one on my watch list
Games playing : Bioshock (Remastered) / Total War Britannia / Dirt 4

Jez

Post by Jez » Tue Nov 06, 2018 12:08 am

Hill House

This is fantastic TV. Love it. About halfway and watched the 'Nell" episode tonight. Really very good. Haven't been so engrossed in a series since first watching Game of Thrones season 1.

Horror stuff isn't at all whatsoever the sort of thing I'd choose to watch, I find them for the majority to just be full of jump scares and Bullshit story lines. So coming to this off of the forums recommendations here has really gripped me. The story is fascinating, very well told and structured excellently. The characters are all interesting. I particularly like how it flits effortlessly and unobtrusively forward and back in time.

The scares are there now and then but they aren't cheap or meaningless.

Good show forum people for recommending. =D>
19-10-2003
12072 :-({|=

Sly Boots
Bar Staff

Post by Sly Boots » Tue Nov 06, 2018 7:38 am

It's good telly for sure :)

Wizard Of Odd

Post by Wizard Of Odd » Wed Nov 07, 2018 5:48 pm

Started the second season of The Sinner last night. It's really good. Even better than the first season.

Jez

Post by Jez » Wed Nov 07, 2018 11:44 pm

Finished Hill House.

Loved all of that. The last episode felt a little rushed and might have benefited from splitting up into 2 episodes to properly tease out the threads and finish it up. I liked the ending though it didn't faff around and it Ended on a positive note, No messing about leaving things open for another season.

Lovely bit of TV that I'll rewatch sometime.
19-10-2003
12072 :-({|=

Sly Boots
Bar Staff

Post by Sly Boots » Thu Nov 08, 2018 7:24 am

There will be a second season, but it will feature a different family and location. Basically the creators said they wanted to keep going and there's no shortage of haunted houses and source material out there.

I think they basically said the Crains have suffered enough :lol:

Wrathbone
Local

Post by Wrathbone » Thu Nov 08, 2018 7:25 am

Sly Boots wrote:
Fri Nov 02, 2018 3:57 pm
On that note, last night finished the second series of Making a Murderer. Avery is obviously a bit of a scumbag (even more so if you look into his history not mentioned in the doc), but despite that feel a bit sorry for him as imho it's quite clear he's innocent of the murder he was convicted of. A good watch, even if it doesn't really reach any major conclusions given the appeals are still being played out as we speak.
I finished series 2 last night. Some of the stuff that came out in episode 10 is astounding.
Spoiler
The coroner being intimidated by multiple officials and told to stay away from the bone fragment investigation specifically because of the $36m lawsuit... I mean, that alone should be a big enough red flag to warrant a retrial. But the fact that the defence raised it at trial and the judge refused to hear it on the grounds that he couldn’t see any relevance is absolute proof to me of the corruption of the Wisconsin justice system (and the Manitowoc sherrif’s department). The same judge, if I recall correctly, that wrongly convicted him in the 80s.

The other red flag is everyone’s favourite shitbag sergeant, Andrew Colborn, and the fact that a witness told him in person that he’d seen the RAV4 parked just up the road, and Colborn did nothing. Didn’t file a report. He did, however, call in the plate number (which he shouldn’t have known) two days before the car was officially found. I want to go back and check the timing of when the witness told him about the car, because that’s crucial. A commonly purported theory is that Mike Hallbach and Ryan Hillegas checked Avery Salvage and found the car I think on 2nd or 3rd Nov and then told Colborn about it. Colborn called about the plates on the 3rd and was off duty on the 4th. The witness said he’d spoken to Colborn in uniform, so it can’t have been the 4th, but the RAV4 had been at Avery’s at least since the 3rd it seems. The witness would have to have noticed the car parked on the road earlier than that, not knowing its relevance at the time, and remembered it days later when he spotted the missing person poster and informed Colborn. Something about it doesn’t add up, but the crucial bit for me is whether Colborn called in the plates before or after the car had been moved, because that would determine whether he or someone else purposefully put the car at Avery’s.

Sly Boots
Bar Staff

Post by Sly Boots » Thu Nov 08, 2018 7:42 am

Wrathbone wrote:
Thu Nov 08, 2018 7:25 am
Sly Boots wrote:
Fri Nov 02, 2018 3:57 pm
On that note, last night finished the second series of Making a Murderer. Avery is obviously a bit of a scumbag (even more so if you look into his history not mentioned in the doc), but despite that feel a bit sorry for him as imho it's quite clear he's innocent of the murder he was convicted of. A good watch, even if it doesn't really reach any major conclusions given the appeals are still being played out as we speak.
I finished series 2 last night. Some of the stuff that came out in episode 10 is astounding.
Spoiler
The coroner being intimidated by multiple officials and told to stay away from the bone fragment investigation specifically because of the $36m lawsuit... I mean, that alone should be a big enough red flag to warrant a retrial. But the fact that the defence raised it at trial and the judge refused to hear it on the grounds that he couldn’t see any relevance is absolute proof to me of the corruption of the Wisconsin justice system (and the Manitowoc sherrif’s department). The same judge, if I recall correctly, that wrongly convicted him in the 80s.

The other red flag is everyone’s favourite shitbag sergeant, Andrew Colborn, and the fact that a witness told him in person that he’d seen the RAV4 parked just up the road, and Colborn did nothing. Didn’t file a report. He did, however, call in the plate number (which he shouldn’t have known) two days before the car was officially found. I want to go back and check the timing of when the witness told him about the car, because that’s crucial. A commonly purported theory is that Mike Hallbach and Ryan Hillegas checked Avery Salvage and found the car I think on 2nd or 3rd Nov and then told Colborn about it. Colborn called about the plates on the 3rd and was off duty on the 4th. The witness said he’d spoken to Colborn in uniform, so it can’t have been the 4th, but the RAV4 had been at Avery’s at least since the 3rd it seems. The witness would have to have noticed the car parked on the road earlier than that, not knowing its relevance at the time, and remembered it days later when he spotted the missing person poster and informed Colborn. Something about it doesn’t add up, but the crucial bit for me is whether Colborn called in the plates before or after the car had been moved, because that would determine whether he or someone else purposefully put the car at Avery’s.
Spoiler
I was flabbergasted that none of the courts so far - or as far as the documentary goes - have seen any value in the evidence Steven's lawyer compiled in at least ordering a retrial. She basically Mythbustered every single thing that was used against him in the original trial, and even outside the state system they were all "nope, nothing to see here". She was very good at her job, but other than taking her findings to the next level and hoping for a different result, I'm not sure what more she can do. Poor Brandon, who I don't think was guilty of anything more than being a bit dim and coerced into saying something from some misguided desire to satisfy the police officers grilling him, looks like spending the next 30 years or whatever it is behind bars. His brother, meanwhile, the one with the computer who happened to disappear moments after Theresa left the property, is as sketchy as hell.

I think her theory that he chased after her, killed and dismembered her (being a hunter this was within his skillset), made a hash of disposing of the car, because he isn't exactly a criminal mastermind either, it being spotted by the trucker, reported to Colborn who then planted it on the Avery property and a couple of days later as good as pointed the searching party to it having already planted Steven's DNA in it from swabs and samples gleaned from his trailer... it fits the facts perfectly, where the 'Steven and Brandon did it' theory the police are sticking to is riddled with holes and inconsistencies. I'm undecided on the stepdad being involved though, I didn't think the case against him was particularly compelling.

I don't think either will be getting out, though. Unfortunately with the wheels of justice turning so slowly, and with season 2 basically caught up to the present, it could be years before we find out!

Wrathbone
Local

Post by Wrathbone » Thu Nov 08, 2018 8:42 am

Spoiler
The prosecution's version of events has never made sense. For Steven and Brendan to have murdered Teresa in the way they were convicted for, they would have had to do all of the following:

- Restrained her to a bed such that no restraint marks were left on the bedposts.

- Stabbed her on the bed without leaving any trace of her blood or DNA anywhere in the trailer.

- Cleaned Teresa's car key of any trace of her DNA, then covered it with Steven's blood and chucked it in the otherwise evidence-free trailer.

- Taken her to the garage and shot her without leaving any trace of her blood or DNA in there, except on the bullet (which was cross-contaminated with the forensic expert's blood when examined).

- Left the garage in a dusty state as though it had apparently not been cleaned for a fair while.

- Dismembered and burned her body in the burn pit right outside Steven's trailer, dispersed her bones to three far-apart locations, but curiously left the burn barrel with bones right out there in the open after going to the trouble of forensically scouring any trace of blood or DNA from the trailer and garage.

- Dumped the car nearby with a few twigs to hide it and with blood applied conspicuously around it in a manner inconsistent with natural active bleeding.

- Not taken any action to further hide remaining evidence after Lt Lenk came to speak to Steven on (I think) 2nd Nov. That's several days before the car was found on the Avery property.

There are certainly other things I'm forgetting. The story of how they supposedly murdered her is about as credible as "the dog ate my homework".

Sly Boots
Bar Staff

Post by Sly Boots » Thu Nov 08, 2018 9:35 am

Wrathbone wrote:
Thu Nov 08, 2018 8:42 am
Spoiler
The prosecution's version of events has never made sense. For Steven and Brendan to have murdered Teresa in the way they were convicted for, they would have had to do all of the following:

- Restrained her to a bed such that no restraint marks were left on the bedposts.

- Stabbed her on the bed without leaving any trace of her blood or DNA anywhere in the trailer.

- Cleaned Teresa's car key of any trace of her DNA, then covered it with Steven's blood and chucked it in the otherwise evidence-free trailer.

- Taken her to the garage and shot her without leaving any trace of her blood or DNA in there, except on the bullet (which was cross-contaminated with the forensic expert's blood when examined).

- Left the garage in a dusty state as though it had apparently not been cleaned for a fair while.

- Dismembered and burned her body in the burn pit right outside Steven's trailer, dispersed her bones to three far-apart locations, but curiously left the burn barrel with bones right out there in the open after going to the trouble of forensically scouring any trace of blood or DNA from the trailer and garage.

- Dumped the car nearby with a few twigs to hide it and with blood applied conspicuously around it in a manner inconsistent with natural active bleeding.

- Not taken any action to further hide remaining evidence after Lt Lenk came to speak to Steven on (I think) 2nd Nov. That's several days before the car was found on the Avery property.

There are certainly other things I'm forgetting. The story of how they supposedly murdered her is about as credible as "the dog ate my homework".
I know, it's baffling.