Good TV (aka, the TV series spamthread), the second series

Small Screen. Bigger Screen.
Alan

Re: Good TV (aka, the TV series spamthread), the second series

Post by Alan » Mon Dec 17, 2018 2:19 pm

I think every season of ash just gets better.
A man who could tell more truth and eat fewer pies.

Snowy
Local

Post by Snowy » Sun Dec 23, 2018 7:09 pm

Watched Bad Blood on Netflix. It has the boss from Goodfellas and one of the leads from Sons of Anarchy starring, and tells the story of a famous mob boss in Montreal.

Only six episodes so doesn't outstay it's welcome and is really very good indeed. Wife and I both enjoyed it.
RCHD wrote:Snowy is my favourite. He's a metal God.
08/10/2003 - 17/08/2018
10501 :-({|=

Achtung Englander

Post by Achtung Englander » Thu Dec 27, 2018 4:43 pm

ABC Murders

It seems to be a Xmas thing now, an Agatha Christie murder with high production values (basically the opposite of ITV Miss Marple, bless them, they do try !). Pretty good. Nice to see Ron Weasley do some proper acting.
Games playing : Bioshock (Remastered) / Total War Britannia / Dirt 4

Sly Boots
Bar Staff

Post by Sly Boots » Fri Dec 28, 2018 11:55 pm

Black Mirror: Bandersnatch.

So... which ending did you get?

Animalmother
Local

Post by Animalmother » Sat Dec 29, 2018 1:10 pm

Nightflyers

Based off a George RR Martin short story about humans trying to intercept an alien ship to make first contact. Only watched the first episode and it's not up to much really. The acting is passable and plot looks very predictable. Will give 2nd episode be a look and maybe see if it's worth carrying on.

Mantis
Landlord

Post by Mantis » Sun Dec 30, 2018 8:12 pm

Sly Boots wrote:
Fri Dec 28, 2018 11:55 pm

Watched it last night with a few friends over drinks and have to say that I just didn't get it at all, definitely the worst Black Mirror I've watched.

Sly Boots
Bar Staff

Post by Sly Boots » Sun Dec 30, 2018 8:59 pm

Mantis wrote:
Sun Dec 30, 2018 8:12 pm
Sly Boots wrote:
Fri Dec 28, 2018 11:55 pm

Watched it last night with a few friends over drinks and have to say that I just didn't get it at all, definitely the worst Black Mirror I've watched.
Well, it's like a TV version of a choose your own adventure book isn't it (complete with keeping your fingers in the pages to go back to a previous choice you made if it ended badly), at the same time highlighting the incipient oddness of role-playing a videogame character and posing the question of 'what if they became aware that someone else was making their choices for them?'

Apparently there are five different possible endings depending on what you choose, and while I doubt I'll rewatch it to try to get the others, and also I can't say it's my favourite BM... but as an experimental piece of television I think it's quite interesting.

Also, apparently the guy playing the author in the documentary he watches is played by Jeff Minter, of Llamatron fame! :o

Mantis
Landlord

Post by Mantis » Sun Dec 30, 2018 9:14 pm

Oh I know what it is based on and liked the idea that he became aware that he was being controlled through Netflix. When I say I didn't get it I mean in the sense that I'm not sure why it's been well received, because I didn't think it was especially well written or enjoyable to watch.

Sly Boots
Bar Staff

Post by Sly Boots » Sun Dec 30, 2018 9:20 pm

Mantis wrote:
Sun Dec 30, 2018 9:14 pm
Oh I know what it is based on and liked the idea that he became aware that he was being controlled through Netflix. When I say I didn't get it I mean in the sense that I'm not sure why it's been well received, because I didn't think it was especially well written or enjoyable to watch.
I guess it may depend on how many choices you went back and replayed, and apparently what you get to see can differ massively depending on some other choices (like whether or not you discuss your mother with the therapist). The Netflix route is quite bizarre, but if you go back and take the other path it becomes quite dark... again a key choice seems to be which code you enter into the safe in terms of how dark it gets.

It makes it quite hard to discuss, as my story was possibly quite different to yours!

For that alone I applaud its ambition.

Strudel

Post by Strudel » Mon Dec 31, 2018 5:11 pm

I think I've got through most of the endings/dead ends now and the two "good" endings (for the character) were quite touching I thought.

I do quite like it, and think it did very well to make the branching system work in a medium that really isn't used to it. I can imagine it going terribly wrong and making no sense at all, but I found the overall stories cohesive. It's a very different experience to just watching something.

Animalmother
Local

Post by Animalmother » Sun Jan 06, 2019 12:54 pm

So I'm thinking of getting Amazon Prime in the next few days. Does anyone use it and is it worth the price?

I want to watch Mr Robot, Man in High Castle, Black Sails and other stuff that I had been getting off "free" websites but that's just a pain in the bollocks. I know it's cheaper than Netflix and currently seems to have some more interesting shows on it. Anyone dipped a toe in?

Sly Boots
Bar Staff

Post by Sly Boots » Sun Jan 06, 2019 12:56 pm

Animalmother wrote:
Sun Jan 06, 2019 12:54 pm
So I'm thinking of getting Amazon Prime in the next few days. Does anyone use it and is it worth the price?

I want to watch Mr Robot, Man in High Castle, Black Sails and other stuff that I had been getting off "free" websites but that's just a pain in the bollocks. I know it's cheaper than Netflix and currently seems to have some more interesting shows on it. Anyone dipped a toe in?
We're Prime customers but we were doing it anyway mainly for the free next-day delivery, which is great. There is a fair amount of stuff to watch but we mainly default to Netflix honestly. Whether it's worth it for the telly but you won't be using the delivery aspect I'm not sure.

Maturin

Post by Maturin » Sun Jan 06, 2019 1:18 pm

Also, if you're a fan of men's tennis, Amazon Prime now show the whole tour. I don't really have the spare time these days to follow tennis live - which I used to do weekly - but if I did, I'd probably go for Prime to get tennis and all the other benefits.

Hatredsheart

Post by Hatredsheart » Sun Jan 06, 2019 1:54 pm

Animalmother wrote:
Sun Jan 06, 2019 12:54 pm

I got Prime for this very reason. The main thing I dislike, and I wasn't aware of before, is the way prime has the first one or two seasons of a show free to lure you in - Fear the walking dead for example - but to watch the latest season (of some shows) you have to pay again, compared to Netflix where you just pay your subscription and get everything.
Last edited by Hatredsheart on Sun Jan 06, 2019 5:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Formerly Dr@gon-UK, but still the Forum Fossil

𝕯𝖔𝖓'𝖙 𝖋𝖊𝖆𝖗 𝕿𝖍𝖊 𝕽𝖊𝖆𝖕𝖊𝖗

Medicine Man
Bar Staff

Post by Medicine Man » Sun Jan 06, 2019 2:38 pm

Personally I wouldn't get Prime just for the video side of things. It's relatively poor compared with Netflix and the Prime content is becoming increasingly buried within the vast buy and/or rent content prominently available on the service.

However as an extra to the next day delivery it's a nice little bonus and one that we use the most out of all the tacked on Prime services (music, twitch etc)