Good TV (aka, the TV series spamthread), the second series

Small Screen. Bigger Screen.
Animalmother
Local

Re: Good TV (aka, the TV series spamthread), the second series

Post by Animalmother » Sat Apr 04, 2020 8:19 pm

Well that seems to be a very clear answer :lol:

Looked at a few online reviews and pretty much everyone hates it. Still managed to get 2 seasons though.

elgaucho

Post by elgaucho » Wed Apr 08, 2020 10:05 am

If you've got Amazon Prime then I quite recommend Vinland Saga.

It's a pretty good Viking era anime - quite character driven, and the animation is fantastic - i'm thoroughly enjoying the books too!

Proud PW Member since 15/10/2003
A lurktastic 2678 posts!

Achtung Englander

Post by Achtung Englander » Thu Apr 09, 2020 12:21 pm

can i watch it with my 6 year old ?
Games playing : Bioshock (Remastered) / Total War Britannia / Dirt 4

elgaucho

Post by elgaucho » Sat Apr 11, 2020 5:47 am

Achtung Englander wrote:
Thu Apr 09, 2020 12:21 pm
can i watch it with my 6 year old ?
it's not that kind of show - it can be quite bloody - definitely not for a six year old. Certainly most of the anime I've watched i wouldn't recommend for young audiences.

Every parent has different views on what they want to expose kids to, but you could look at One Piece - it's an absolutely fantastic show. It is emotional at times, but it's also funny and so full of heart.

Bear in mind there is cartoon violence, and some of the dialogue might include expletives depending on the dub. Also, japanese, so some puerile pervy humour, which seems fairly common in many anime.

But in the current circumstances, 800+ episodes of a show is plenty to binge through! :lol:

There's a couple of story arcs much later in that will be upsetting, character wise.
Proud PW Member since 15/10/2003
A lurktastic 2678 posts!

Maturin

Post by Maturin » Sat Apr 11, 2020 7:57 am

Just started watching Star Trek: TNG from the very first episode on Netflix.

Although the show became much better and more layered in future seasons, I'm still enjoying the weird, cheesy campiness of season 1. It almost feels closer to the original series than future TNG at times.

Having said that, by episode 2 I was already at the stage of wanting to reach into the screen and throttle Wesley Crusher. Apart from that, it's great fun.

Hatredsheart

Post by Hatredsheart » Sat Apr 11, 2020 8:50 am

Maturin wrote:
Sat Apr 11, 2020 7:57 am
Just started watching Star Trek: TNG from the very first episode on Netflix.

Although the show became much better and more layered in future seasons, I'm still enjoying the weird, cheesy campiness of season 1. It almost feels closer to the original series than future TNG at times.

Having said that, by episode 2 I was already at the stage of wanting to reach into the screen and throttle Wesley Crusher. Apart from that, it's great fun.
"The Best of Both Worlds" = my favourite episodes ever. Great prequel to First Contact.
Formerly Dr@gon-UK, but still the Forum Fossil

𝕯𝖔𝖓'𝖙 𝖋𝖊𝖆𝖗 𝕿𝖍𝖊 𝕽𝖊𝖆𝖕𝖊𝖗

Raid
Local

Post by Raid » Sat Apr 11, 2020 1:39 pm

Yeah, the slightly more wondrous tone the dialogue strikes in the first two seasons feels quite different to everything after them, and very much more in keeping with TOS. Everyone becomes so much more pragmatic and scientifically minded once they switch to the new style of uniforms, and while I do prefer this, there's something to be said for the more adventurous tone of the early stuff. I'm a big fan of the likes of Skin of Evil and Q-Who?.

Alan

Post by Alan » Sat Apr 11, 2020 2:22 pm

Frame Of Mind always sticks in my uhm, mind.
A man who could tell more truth and eat fewer pies.

Maturin

Post by Maturin » Sat Apr 11, 2020 2:42 pm

Also, it was a pretty bold move having an episode like The Naked Now as episode 2 of the first season. :lol:

Probably one of the wackiest things they ever did and it's there right at the beginning (after the feature length ep1).

Raid
Local

Post by Raid » Sat Apr 11, 2020 2:54 pm

Yeah, The Naked Now was a really odd choice for a second episode, particularly as it was retreading the same ground as the 4th TOS episode (which they even reference). Maybe they thought that releasing all of the characters' inhibitions was the best way to learn about them?

If we're going for overall favourites, BoBW is a clear leader, along with Measure of a Man, The Offspring, The Drumhead, Qpid (which is thoroughly ridiculous but brilliant fun) and the finale, All Good Things.

Alan

Post by Alan » Sat Apr 11, 2020 4:36 pm

And least favourite? That one where Wesley becomes god of time and space.

Raid
Local

Post by Raid » Sat Apr 11, 2020 5:25 pm

I suspect you mean Barclay?

There's a pretty good concensus when it comes to worst TNG episode; it's either Shades of Gray which was a clip show season finale caused by a writers strike, or the horrendously backward-thinking Code of Honour where the crew visit the planet of the noble savage black people. Other good candidates would be Sub Rosa where Dr. Crusher has sex with a space ghost pretending to be her grandmother, and Cost of Living wherein perennially hated guest characters Alexander and Lwaxana Troi sit around in a mud jacuzzi for a good portion of the runtime.

Alan

Post by Alan » Sat Apr 11, 2020 5:36 pm

Nah, though I dislike most Barclay episodes. I mean when the traveler told Wes he was the first human to evolve beyond time and should go on an extra dimensional trek. It was good in that it was the last we have to deal with him. Well till that weird pointless nonsensical cameo in one of the films - I forget which.

I was going to start SG1 again but now I’m in the mood for TNG again :-k

Raid
Local

Post by Raid » Sat Apr 11, 2020 6:16 pm

Ohh, Journey's End, gotcha. That's one I tend not to bother with when I do a full rewatch so I'd forgotten that happened.

I don't think Wes actually appears in Nemesis, all of his scenes were cut. To be honest I don't really get the unbridled hatred for Wesley; he's annoying in a few first-season episodes, no argument there, but he inspires almost Jar Jar Binks levels of disdain. Perhaps my opinion is coloured slightly by the fact that I quite admire Wil Wheaton as a person; he's a massive geek and he's made a life out of it. He's also the only Star Trek actor I've actually interacted with.

Maturin

Post by Maturin » Sat Apr 11, 2020 7:04 pm

Raid wrote:
Sat Apr 11, 2020 5:25 pm
.. or the horrendously backward-thinking Code of Honour where the crew visit the planet of the noble savage black people.
Having just watched that episode, I must confess I didn't get any of that myself. They happened to be black, with aspects of tribal culture, but TNG as a series is also chock full of aggressive white races - plus there are many black characters in the show in general who are equals in intelligence & wisdom to any white character.

If it were a different show, then maybe I'd give it more thought, but for one of the most liberal, forward-thinking shows in TV history (especially for its time) I'm more than happy to take that episode at face-value, with no ulterior issues. I actually think it's a pretty decent episode.