Small Screen. Bigger Screen.
Sly Boots
Bar Staff

Re: Good TV (aka, the TV series spamthread), the second series

Post by Sly Boots » Thu Jul 15, 2021 8:28 am

Raid wrote:
Wed Jul 14, 2021 7:55 pm
The End of the F***ing World

Two teenage anti-social strangers run away together and bond over a shared trauma. I loved this; despite both being pretty awful people, the two lead characters are really well acted and thus surprisingly sympathetic. Great soundtrack too.
Yeah, I enjoyed it. Heartbreaking at times, funny at others. Overall very good show.

Sly Boots
Bar Staff

Post by Sly Boots » Fri Jul 16, 2021 4:04 pm

Couple of older shows on Netflix we've enjoyed recently:

Colony

Sawyer from Lost and Rick's wife from the Walking Dead try to keep their family together in the midst of alien occupation. Human cities have been divided up into different zones lorded over by humans acting on the instructions of unseen alien conquerors.

It's an interesting premise, and it's a rare show that, for me at least, actually became more interesting as it went on. The first season sees a lot of domestic drama as people struggle to live under an alien regime, but gradually over the course of its three seasons more sci-fi elements are introduced and action and stakes are raised, while mysteries are cleared up while the parameters of the story, if you like, expand. You get the sense that the whole show was planned out by the writers beforehand, and it's criminal that it was cancelled after season three on a massive cliffhanger.

Aside from Sawyer's teenage son, who I continually felt like punching in the face, the characters are well written - the ones you're meant to like are likeable, the villains are suitable villainous - and it also isn't afraid to kill of seemingly main characters, which was always impactful.

Yeah, recommended as long as you go in knowing it's interesting plot is ultimately unresolved (although I dug up an interview with Josh Holloway where he gives some hints about what would have followed).

Lilyhammer

Silvio from the Sopranos (except not really) informs on a rival mobster, and in taking witness protection from the FBI turns down the chance to head for tropical climes and instead opts to take up a new identity in rural Norway - on the sole basis that he really enjoyed the winter olympics there 20 years previously.

It's a fun premise, and a fun show. The writers are Norwegian and it shows through in the humour, which is often quite dark in tone. If you've watched Norsemen on Netflix you'll know what I mean - in fact the two shows share numerous actors - including Rufus of Rome who here takes on the role of Silvio's right-hand man Torgeir and is frequently the best thing in it.

It's good fun, and here and there the writers have fun with nods to the Sopranos, including a guest appearance from Paulie Walnuts.

Also recommended, particularly if you enjoyed Norsemen and/or the Sopranos.

Achtung Englander

Post by Achtung Englander » Mon Jul 19, 2021 10:59 am

Sliced (Dave)

I went into this with low expectations, but how wrong was I. This is really funny. Season 1 is just 3 episodes, so it seems they were trailing it. Season 2 is full 6 episodes. I recommend it. There are some serious belly laughs here.

Overall I am impressed with Sky original content. For example The Sick Of It is brilliant.

What BBC comedies do you recommend. I know BBC3 produces some great content. Is Inside No.9 any good?
Games playing : Bioshock (Remastered) / Total War Britannia / Dirt 4

Drarok

Post by Drarok » Mon Jul 19, 2021 11:50 am

Achtung Englander wrote:
Mon Jul 19, 2021 10:59 am
(Dave)

Overall I am impressed with Sky original content. For example The Sick Of It is brilliant.
Dave is owned by UKTV, who are in turn owned by BBC Studios. :)
Raid wrote:
Thu Jan 28, 2021 2:24 pm
And that's the story of why I'm not allowed near pregnant women for the next few weeks.

eny

Post by eny » Mon Jul 19, 2021 12:24 pm

Achtung Englander wrote:
Mon Jul 19, 2021 10:59 am
Sliced (Dave)

I went into this with low expectations, but how wrong was I. This is really funny. Season 1 is just 3 episodes, so it seems they were trailing it. Season 2 is full 6 episodes. I recommend it. There are some serious belly laughs here.

What BBC comedies do you recommend. I know BBC3 produces some great content. Is Inside No.9 any good?

Inside No.9 Is excellent, a few misses, but very good.

This Country too, well worth a watch. Currently going through the 3 series again, (about the 6th time) the detail and nuance is sublime.
Everything on the internet is 100% true.

– Abraham Lincoln
˙ƃuıʇıɹʍ ʎuıʇ ʎllɐǝɹ uʍop ǝpısdn

Achtung Englander

Post by Achtung Englander » Mon Jul 19, 2021 12:40 pm

oh! thanks

yeah I loved This Country. To me this is one of the best things written:

eny

Post by eny » Mon Jul 19, 2021 1:01 pm

I love that Daisy May and Charlie Cooper are siblings playing cousins, they involved their friends in the scripts, her Dad plays her dad, she does the voice for her mum who you never see (two-maRGH-toes!), and their uncle plays Len. Just brilliant.
Everything on the internet is 100% true.

– Abraham Lincoln
˙ƃuıʇıɹʍ ʎuıʇ ʎllɐǝɹ uʍop ǝpısdn

elgaucho

Post by elgaucho » Tue Jul 20, 2021 12:55 pm

Been watching a couple of shows lately

Yellowstone
Kevin Costner and cast do an awesome job of bringing to life this show and its 3 seasons (so far) of a ranching family in Montana fighting to prevent the march of progress.

I think as much as anything I just love the ambiance and the location of it. While the things that happen on the show really make you question right and wrong, you can understand the motivations of the characters really well. I'm really enjoying this one.

Letterkenny
I only ever knew about this because some of you lot were raving fanatical about it many many months ago.
Finally ended up giving it a go and, while it deeeefinitely takes a few episodes to warm up, it IS really bloody clever and the wordplay is absolutely top notch! :D :lol:
Proud PW Member since 15/10/2003
A lurktastic 2678 posts!

Drarok

Post by Drarok » Tue Jul 20, 2021 2:31 pm

Yesssss, another Letterkenny fan!

I don't know what the fuck they were smoking when they wrote the Fartbook episode, but mostly everything else is top-notch.
Raid wrote:
And that's the story of why I'm not allowed near pregnant women for the next few weeks.

Achtung Englander

Post by Achtung Englander » Tue Jul 20, 2021 10:39 pm

I find this is not streaming and you can only buy it on Prime. Is that right?

https://www.justwatch.com/uk/tv-series/letterkenny

Snowy
Local

Post by Snowy » Wed Jul 21, 2021 12:23 pm

Achtung Englander wrote:
Tue Jul 20, 2021 10:39 pm
I find this is not streaming and you can only buy it on Prime. Is that right?

https://www.justwatch.com/uk/tv-series/letterkenny
Yarrrr me hearties...

Well worth hunting down a decent copy, absolutely brilliant show.

Main problem is that now nobody can say "To be fair" without my wanting to blast back an operatic or death metal verion at them, awkward in corporate meetings...
RCHD wrote:Snowy is my favourite. He's a metal God.
08/10/2003 - 17/08/2018
10501 :-({|=

Achtung Englander

Post by Achtung Englander » Wed Jul 21, 2021 2:48 pm

oh...I see. I am not very good at that sort of thing.

Drarok

Post by Drarok » Wed Jul 21, 2021 9:44 pm

So far as I know, it's only legally available to stream on Crave and Hulu in the USA and Canada. I didn't know you could actually buy it!
Raid wrote:

Rusty

Post by Rusty » Thu Jul 22, 2021 8:48 am

Oh. My. God. Just 'obtained' Letterkenny.
What a brilliant show!
This will defo stop me working :( Too much of a distraction. I saw that there are millions of series too.
-- To be completed at some point --

Wrathbone
Local

Post by Wrathbone » Thu Jul 22, 2021 8:53 am

I'm going to have to investigate Letterkenny, but first I'm still working my way through It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia for the first time. On season 6 now. It's been a long time since I've watched a comedy that has had me struggling to catch a breath so frequently.