Good TV (aka, the TV series spamthread), the second series

Small Screen. Bigger Screen.
Wrathbone
Local

Re: Good TV (aka, the TV series spamthread), the second series

Post by Wrathbone » Thu Nov 08, 2018 10:03 am

Another thing has just occurred to me:
Spoiler
During the afternoon when the murder was meant to have taken place, there were several witnesses, including his brothers, who testified they saw Steven and his burn barrel at various times. The prosecution would have us believe that not one of these witnesses saw or heard Teresa being tortured, murdered, mutilated and cremated right outside the trailer.

Also, I read that earlier this year, one of Brendan's brothers (not Bobby) admitted he'd lied in testimony when he claimed he'd seen a bonfire with flames going 4 or 5 feet high (indicating a very hot fire which would more plausibly burn a body). He also said the prosecution had pressured him into exaggerating the size of the flames, and they were actually much smaller than he stated.

Sly Boots
Bar Staff

Post by Sly Boots » Thu Nov 08, 2018 10:18 am

Wrathbone wrote:
Thu Nov 08, 2018 10:03 am
Another thing has just occurred to me:
Spoiler
During the afternoon when the murder was meant to have taken place, there were several witnesses, including his brothers, who testified they saw Steven and his burn barrel at various times. The prosecution would have us believe that not one of these witnesses saw or heard Teresa being tortured, murdered, mutilated and cremated right outside the trailer.

Also, I read that earlier this year, one of Brendan's brothers (not Bobby) admitted he'd lied in testimony when he claimed he'd seen a bonfire with flames going 4 or 5 feet high (indicating a very hot fire which would more plausibly burn a body). He also said the prosecution had pressured him into exaggerating the size of the flames, and they were actually much smaller than he stated.
Spoiler
Wasn't that the neighbour, the guy who owns the quarry? There was a bit in season 2 where Steven's lawyer is riding with him in his car and he admits that the flames he reported seeing weren't as big as he was made to say by the police/prosecution.

Wrathbone
Local

Post by Wrathbone » Thu Nov 08, 2018 10:30 am

Sly Boots
Bar Staff

Post by Sly Boots » Thu Nov 08, 2018 10:56 am

Wrathbone wrote:
Thu Nov 08, 2018 10:30 am
This is the article I read:

https://lawandcrime.com/high-profile/ma ... testimony/
Spoiler
In that case that's two witnesses saying the same thing about the fire (and both being coerced into exaggerating its size).

Interesting he actually saw his brother driving a car the same colour as Theresa's. Bobby Dassey blatantly did it, imo. Can't quite believe he'd let his brother take the rap for it. Is he the same brother that hasn't been to prison to visit Brendan either?

Achtung Englander

Post by Achtung Englander » Sun Nov 11, 2018 9:39 pm

Show Me A Hero

This is a mini series from HBO. Six parts about the housing crises in a NY state called Yonkers back in the early 90s. Its pretty good, the first 3 episodes were a lot better than the last 3. Its a true story with a tragic ending and it did make me cry, but that is not saying much as I seem to cry at the drop of a hat these days.

6/10
Games playing : Bioshock (Remastered) / Total War Britannia / Dirt 4

Alan

Post by Alan » Mon Nov 12, 2018 3:06 pm

Sharp Objects is excellent. Reporter returns to her hometown and semi estranged family to cover the murder of two young girls. Amy Adams is great in the lead role and it has some surprisingly well done depictions of several mental illnesses without falling into tired tropes.

One ep to go....
A man who could tell more truth and eat fewer pies.

Tichinde

Post by Tichinde » Thu Nov 15, 2018 11:31 am

Currently loving Sneaky Pete season 2.
"Religion, shit it" - Stephen Fry

Sly Boots
Bar Staff

Post by Sly Boots » Thu Nov 15, 2018 11:39 am

Keep meaning to watch that, enjoyed the first one.

Is Sharp Objects on Netflix Evol? Don't think I've seen that in the recommendations but could well have missed it...

elgaucho

Post by elgaucho » Thu Nov 15, 2018 7:58 pm

Achtung Englander wrote:
Sun Nov 11, 2018 9:39 pm
Show Me A Hero

This is a mini series from HBO. Six parts about the housing crises in a NY state called Yonkers back in the early 90s. Its pretty good, the first 3 episodes were a lot better than the last 3. Its a true story with a tragic ending and it did make me cry, but that is not saying much as I seem to cry at the drop of a hat these days.

6/10
I watched this when it came out. Typically good HBO quality, and very solid. Much like a number of other shows on HBO, it's a paced watch, but very well produced!
Proud PW Member since 15/10/2003
A lurktastic 2678 posts!

Alan

Post by Alan » Sun Nov 18, 2018 5:07 am

Sly Boots wrote:
Thu Nov 15, 2018 11:39 am
Keep meaning to watch that, enjoyed the first one.

Is Sharp Objects on Netflix Evol? Don't think I've seen that in the recommendations but could well have missed it...
I think it’s on NowTV. It was an HBO/Sky Atlantic thing.

This one is on Netflix..... Just watched Rillington Place which we really liked and ended up binging the 3, hour long episodes in one sitting. It’s the retelling of serial killer John Christie in post war Britain. Tim Roth plays Christie and he does it so well that you can barely tell that it’s him.

Achtung Englander

Post by Achtung Englander » Sun Nov 18, 2018 4:23 pm

Alan wrote:
Sun Nov 18, 2018 5:07 am
This one is on Netflix..... Just watched Rillington Place which we really liked and ended up binging the 3, hour long episodes in one sitting. It’s the retelling of serial killer John Christie in post war Britain. Tim Roth plays Christie and he does it so well that you can barely tell that it’s him.
I have up after watching 1.5 episodes. It is a pale retelling compared to the brilliant film which did not shy away from showing the rapes and murders. This version was so sanitised (with all the gruesome parts off-screen) it was like watching a retelling by CBeebies
Games playing : Bioshock (Remastered) / Total War Britannia / Dirt 4

Snowy
Local

Post by Snowy » Sun Nov 18, 2018 7:33 pm

Gomorra. An Italian series about the Mafia in Naples. Holy crap but it is harrowing, the players are all vile, evil scumbags, bar none. You kinda start rooting for characters who you see things unfold from their perspective. Then they do things.

Makes The Sopranos look tame.

Bizarrely, really enjoying it.
RCHD wrote:Snowy is my favourite. He's a metal God.
08/10/2003 - 17/08/2018
10501 :-({|=

Rusty

Post by Rusty » Sun Nov 18, 2018 10:23 pm

Holy cow, just watched the opening scene from outlaw|king. Was that totally done in one shot? Attention to detail was amazing.
-- To be completed at some point --

Alan

Post by Alan » Mon Nov 19, 2018 3:46 am

Achtung Englander wrote:
Sun Nov 18, 2018 4:23 pm
Alan wrote:
Sun Nov 18, 2018 5:07 am
I have up after watching 1.5 episodes. It is a pale retelling compared to the brilliant film which did not shy away from showing the rapes and murders. This version was so sanitised (with all the gruesome parts off-screen) it was like watching a retelling by CBeebies
It is fairly sanitised and rapes were only subtlety implied but I thought Roth played his as such a detestable little shit that that was almost the point. It didn’t need to show you the really awful stuff, it mostly only showed what other people seen of him.

On the Roth note we started watching Tin star which seems good but cliche and some old tropes are working their way in by the 2nd episode.

Sly Boots
Bar Staff

Post by Sly Boots » Tue Nov 20, 2018 10:31 pm

On a recommendation from a friend, starting watching Inside No9 on Prime, written by and starring Reece Shearsmith and Steve Pemberton of League of Gentleman fame.

I know it's a few years old now, but not heard of it before. Enjoying it greatly, though - it's good watching short 30-minute one-off episodes, each with a dark twist of some kind. There is humour, but definitely of the black variety.

Favourite of the first season was the burglary gone wrong in A Quiet Night In (or whatever it's called, without looking it up), which despite having barely any dialogue was great fun to watch. Oddly the last episode of the season was probably the weakest, despite having a nice creepy buildup the ending was a bit of a damp squib and left you thinking 'was that it?'.

Looking forward to watching the second season.