Good TV (aka, the TV series spamthread), the second series

Small Screen. Bigger Screen.
Sly Boots
Bar Staff

Re: Good TV (aka, the TV series spamthread), the second series

Post by Sly Boots » Wed May 13, 2020 10:10 pm

Wrathbone wrote:
Mon May 04, 2020 7:11 am
Finally finished The Mandalorian. What a belter of a series. Aside from the (still decent) prison episode, I enjoyed every minute of it. The music has to be in my top 5 TV themes of all time, too.
Just finished it myself, absolutely cracking series, one of my favourite original series I've seen in recent times. No criticisms here, it actually blew my mind how good it was in comparison to the new films (Rogue One aside).

More please!

Wrathbone
Local

Post by Wrathbone » Thu May 14, 2020 6:37 am

Mark Hamill made a really good point about why it works so well, which is that it doesn't have the burden of trying to top anything else, like the films do. There's a pressure and expectation for them to always be bigger and better, whereas The Mandalorian is free to go back to basics and tell simple, compelling, character-driven stories.

Sly Boots
Bar Staff

Post by Sly Boots » Thu May 14, 2020 8:32 am

Wrathbone wrote:
Thu May 14, 2020 6:37 am
Mark Hamill made a really good point about why it works so well, which is that it doesn't have the burden of trying to top anything else, like the films do. There's a pressure and expectation for them to always be bigger and better, whereas The Mandalorian is free to go back to basics and tell simple, compelling, character-driven stories.
For sure. It also managed to expertly walk the tightrope of fan-service - there were lots of moments, sets and winks for fans of the franchise to enjoy, but without being kitschy, dumb or out of place like the films often do. For example, the part at the start of the final episode:
Spoiler
Where the two speeder troopers were talking, then aiming at and failing to shoot a target, harking back to the infamous inaccuracy of SW stormtroopers (which was also referenced elsewhere, eliciting a chuckle), was one of my favourite moments of the series. Light touch humour, nothing needed to be said, it was enough for those familiar with the franchise to immediately understand what it was referring to.
My birthday is coming up in a few weeks, and I may have indicated to my wife that I'd quite fancy this:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B08 ... ecda59cb4e

:oops:

Wrathbone
Local

Post by Wrathbone » Thu May 14, 2020 9:49 am

Oh, I've totally been keeping my eye on that for a price drop. :lol:

Rossell

Post by Rossell » Mon May 18, 2020 5:54 pm

Umbrella Academy season 2 drops July 31st.

Sly Boots
Bar Staff

Post by Sly Boots » Mon May 18, 2020 6:04 pm

Rossell wrote:
Mon May 18, 2020 5:54 pm
Umbrella Academy season 2 drops July 31st.
Noice :)

elgaucho

Post by elgaucho » Mon May 18, 2020 6:14 pm

I just finished Devs a day or two ago.

Bizarre little mini series. Essentially a dystopian (current day) world in which vastly hypothetical scientific tech is being explored, merged with a little murder and drama.

It's an engaging enough story during its 8 episodes, but i couln't help but think it fancied itself something a little more than it is. I enjoyed it for trying to do something different rather than for being anything in particular itself.

I also recently finished the most recent season of The Expanse. Along with Black Sails, this ranks high among the shows that keep me reeled in and wondering... wtf is going to happen next?!?!

If you like tense political drama mixed in with some sci fi, but held together by really good story telling, then this show is for you. I frickin' love it! 8-)
Proud PW Member since 15/10/2003
A lurktastic 2678 posts!

Strudel

Post by Strudel » Tue May 19, 2020 11:42 am

I really liked Devs up until the last episode where it became clear that didn't really know what they were talking about. There were definitely a few ups and downs throughout but the final episode was just garbage and ruined what had been up to that point a pretty decent show.

Alan

Post by Alan » Tue May 19, 2020 12:24 pm

The Sinner S3
More of that same dark quirk that makes me really enjoy this. I dont think its a fantastic series but it has an original enough feel to set itself aside and Bill Pullman's weirdo detective pulls it all together. Better than S2 not as good as S1.

Dead To Me S2
I really like this show. Yeah it gets a bit ridiculous but its funny and dark in the right mix and the two leads are really good. I do feel they should maybe have wrapped it up tighter at the end instead of leaving it more open for another season because I'd hate for it to outstay its welcome. At the same time, looking forward to the possibility of another season!

I'm Not Okay With This
The girl from the shitey new It movies is a quirky outcast that starts developing super powers. Slightly trite but its enjoyable enough so far by around the halfway point.

Upload
Near future, people near death can upload their minds to live in a VR world forever. Guy gets badly injured in an accident and uploads. Its cheap and a bit cheesy but its not bad. It kind of reminds me of Eureka which I also enjoyed dispite it being cheap and cheesy. Only a few eps in but its a fine fairly mindless time killer.

I think thats it for opinion dump :p
A man who could tell more truth and eat fewer pies.

Drarok

Post by Drarok » Tue May 19, 2020 12:42 pm

Alan wrote:
Tue May 19, 2020 12:24 pm
Dead To Me S2
I misread this as Dead Like Me #-o
Raid wrote:
Thu Jan 28, 2021 2:24 pm
And that's the story of why I'm not allowed near pregnant women for the next few weeks.

Sly Boots
Bar Staff

Post by Sly Boots » Tue May 19, 2020 12:52 pm

Alan wrote:
Tue May 19, 2020 12:24 pm
The Sinner S3
More of that same dark quirk that makes me really enjoy this. I dont think its a fantastic series but it has an original enough feel to set itself aside and Bill Pullman's weirdo detective pulls it all together. Better than S2 not as good as S1.

Dead To Me S2
I really like this show. Yeah it gets a bit ridiculous but its funny and dark in the right mix and the two leads are really good. I do feel they should maybe have wrapped it up tighter at the end instead of leaving it more open for another season because I'd hate for it to outstay its welcome. At the same time, looking forward to the possibility of another season!

I'm Not Okay With This
The girl from the shitey new It movies is a quirky outcast that starts developing super powers. Slightly trite but its enjoyable enough so far by around the halfway point.

Upload
Near future, people near death can upload their minds to live in a VR world forever. Guy gets badly injured in an accident and uploads. Its cheap and a bit cheesy but its not bad. It kind of reminds me of Eureka which I also enjoyed dispite it being cheap and cheesy. Only a few eps in but its a fine fairly mindless time killer.

I think thats it for opinion dump :p
Just started watching Dead to Me, first episode last night. Seemed pretty good, will continue watching. I did guess the big reveal though well ahead of time, but presumably there's more still to come.

Didn't realise there was a new Sinner series either, will check that out too at some point. Like you I didn't feel the second was as good as the first.

Alan

Post by Alan » Tue May 19, 2020 1:56 pm

Sly Boots wrote:
Tue May 19, 2020 12:52 pm
Didn't realise there was a new Sinner series either, will check that out too at some point. Like you I didn't feel the second was as good as the first.
I’m not sure if it’s out in the UK yet. I think it has to finish it’s USA run on whatever channel it’s on first. Should be fairly soon if it’s not - or VPN ;)
A man who could tell more truth and eat fewer pies.

Sly Boots
Bar Staff

Post by Sly Boots » Tue May 19, 2020 2:12 pm

Alan wrote:
Tue May 19, 2020 1:56 pm
Sly Boots wrote:
Tue May 19, 2020 12:52 pm
I’m not sure if it’s out in the UK yet. I think it has to finish it’s USA run on whatever channel it’s on first. Should be fairly soon if it’s not - or VPN ;)
Ah. No, we can probably wait, plenty of other stuff on our list at the moment.

Hatredsheart

Post by Hatredsheart » Tue May 19, 2020 3:03 pm

Agree on devs, overlong and I didn't gel with the main character at all. As a movie it might have been better, they shouldn't have stretched it out over 8 hours.
Next season of The Sinner hits Netflix June 19th.
Formerly Dr@gon-UK, but still the Forum Fossil

𝕯𝖔𝖓'𝖙 𝖋𝖊𝖆𝖗 𝕿𝖍𝖊 𝕽𝖊𝖆𝖕𝖊𝖗

Animalmother
Local

Post by Animalmother » Sat May 30, 2020 10:46 am

Betaal

Indian zombie series on Netflix. Watched first couple of episodes and it's ok I suppose. Soldiers go into a remote village to clear out the locals blocking a new road. They open a sealed tunnel that has British soldiers from the 1840's trapped inside, zombies with muskets ensues. Mostly filmed in the dark so hard to see what's going on and the acting isn't exactly amazing. But hey it's a zombie show so that's to be expected. It's no Kingdom anyway.