Small Screen. Bigger Screen.
Wrathbone
Local

Re: Good TV (aka, the TV series spamthread), the second series

Post by Wrathbone » Tue Mar 26, 2019 4:21 pm

Alan wrote:
Mon Mar 25, 2019 3:34 am
Star Trek Discovery

Everything in the universe no matter how big or small directly relates to Michael. Every other character is just her props and foils. It’s such lazy cliched writing. It’s an enjoyable watch but the missed potential with this is irritating.
100% this. The most egregious case of this in season 2 is:
Spoiler
Spock. Of course it's Spock.

Not just the fact that they're appropriating old Star Trek without having earned that right through the story, but the fact that he's Michael's brother. Really, Star Trek? Really? I admit that I never watched the original series, but I've never seen anything to suggest he had an adopted human sister until now. What's next? Is Seru secretly best mates with Riker's dad? Is Tilly going to meet a bald Frenchman and turn out to be Picard's mother?

Crap like this doesn't expand the horizons of the Star Trek universe - it shrinks it.

Sly Boots
Bar Staff

Post by Sly Boots » Wed Apr 03, 2019 8:31 am

Few things I've been watching recently:

The Umbrella Academy

Slightly surprised I haven't seen anyone mention it yet (unless I've missed it), reckon this would be right up the alley of many on here. Superhero-ish series on Netflix, the premise being after dozens of babies were born in mysterious circumstances around the globe, an eccentric billionaire brings a bunch of them together and brings out their latent abilities to create a crime-fighting squad. The main action takes place around 20 years later when almost the entire group is fucked up by their experiences, and somehow have to find a way to work together again to save the world. It's really good, in particular I enjoyed the performance of Robert Sheehan (who I last saw as Nathan in Misfits) as Klaus, and the season finale is terrific.

Sex Education

Another Netflix original, a British production this time (though I think it's intentionally set at an ambiguous time and place, that mixes UK and US school culture and vintage and modern aesthetics). This is one case where I think the trailer did it no favours at all. I saw that and thought, nope, not for me. It looked like a gross-out, inappropriately 'sexy' comedy aimed at causing maximum outrage. But, oddly enough, it really isn't. It manages to be touching and funny at the same time, dealing with issues most people face during adolescence including gender identity, sexual orientation, race and relationships. Yes there's lots of humour but not at the expense of the characters and while there are some NSFW bits it tends towards realism/comedy rather than raunchiness. I still have the season finale to go, but I've really enjoyed it.

Happy

What the fuck did I just watch? :lol: Only two episodes in but will keep watching it. It's truly bizarre but also funny and violent. If you've not seen it, give it a try. You'll know by the end of the first episode if it's for you.

The Orville

I finally see why people said this is more like Star Trek than Star Trek Discovery. Only seen the first episode, but really liked it (thanks to a certain someone (you know who you are) ;))

eny

Post by eny » Wed Apr 03, 2019 10:27 am

Yep, Happy is damned brilliant! Someone did mention UA, looks pretty good after watching the first a few weeks back.... one that is on the list, after The Happy Place is done with....

Santa Clarita Diet series 3 is more great fun too.
Everything on the internet is 100% true.

– Abraham Lincoln
˙ƃuıʇıɹʍ ʎuıʇ ʎllɐǝɹ uʍop ǝpısdn

Sly Boots
Bar Staff

Post by Sly Boots » Wed Apr 03, 2019 10:28 am

eny wrote:
Wed Apr 03, 2019 10:27 am
Yep, Happy is damned brilliant! Someone did mention UA, looks pretty good after watching the first a few weeks back.... one that is on the list, after The Happy Place is done with....

Santa Clarita Diet series 3 is more great fun too.
Yeah, love Santa Clarita. I also love the fact they replaced Captain Mal (Nathan Fillion) with Wash (Alan Tudyk) and made a joke out of it.

Animalmother
Local

Post by Animalmother » Wed Apr 03, 2019 12:58 pm

Enjoying Umbrella Academy as well but it definitely took a few episodes, most of the characters are assholes at first.

Happy was great, for some reason it reminded me of Max Payne 2 in places.

Alan

Post by Alan » Thu Apr 04, 2019 7:57 am

Netflix aren’t giving Christine McConnell a second season :cry:
A man who could tell more truth and eat fewer pies.

Hatredsheart

Post by Hatredsheart » Thu Apr 04, 2019 11:36 am

Sly Boots wrote:
Wed Apr 03, 2019 8:31 am
Happy

What the fuck did I just watch? :lol: Only two episodes in but will keep watching it. It's truly bizarre but also funny and violent. If you've not seen it, give it a try. You'll know by the end of the first episode if it's for you.
Watched this when it first came out and loved it. So glad it got picked up for a second series.
Formerly Dr@gon-UK, but still the Forum Fossil

𝕯𝖔𝖓'𝖙 𝖋𝖊𝖆𝖗 𝕿𝖍𝖊 𝕽𝖊𝖆𝖕𝖊𝖗

Strudel

Post by Strudel » Sat Apr 06, 2019 11:43 pm

Sly Boots wrote:
Wed Apr 03, 2019 8:31 am
The Umbrella Academy

Slightly surprised I haven't seen anyone mention it yet (unless I've missed it), reckon this would be right up the alley of many on here. Superhero-ish series on Netflix, the premise being after dozens of babies were born in mysterious circumstances around the globe, an eccentric billionaire brings a bunch of them together and brings out their latent abilities to create a crime-fighting squad. The main action takes place around 20 years later when almost the entire group is fucked up by their experiences, and somehow have to find a way to work together again to save the world. It's really good, in particular I enjoyed the performance of Robert Sheehan (who I last saw as Nathan in Misfits) as Klaus, and the season finale is terrific.
I've watched this over the last few days and also generally enjoyed it. There's some great bits in there, and Klaus was definitely one of my favourite characters by the end (along with Number Five - that kid is a fantastic actor!) though the show is not without its flaws. Still, it's a good, fun show.

The soundtrack is brilliant too. Vanya's Orchestra and Apocalypse are beautiful pieces; very reminiscent of Philip Glass's violin concertos.

Alan

Post by Alan » Tue Apr 09, 2019 10:36 am

Alan wrote:
Mon Mar 25, 2019 3:34 am
Star Trek Discovery

Everything in the universe no matter how big or small directly relates to Michael. Every other character is just her props and foils. It’s such lazy cliched writing. It’s an enjoyable watch but the missed potential with this is irritating.
...and in this ep she finds a lone survivor floating in space who just happened to be the tactical officer from the Shenzhou! #-o ](*,)

...and I'm not even mentioning all this time crystal bull! :lol:

Sly Boots
Bar Staff

Post by Sly Boots » Wed Apr 10, 2019 1:17 pm

Finished Happy... what a trip that was :lol:

I see the second season is airing as we speak, so will watch that for sure when it's out in full on Netflix.

elgaucho

Post by elgaucho » Sun Apr 14, 2019 3:00 pm

Just finished watching the end of the 4th season of "Le Bureau Des Legendes" / The Bureau.

I cannot recommend this show enough. It is quite simply fantastic and so well paced.... please please watch it!
Proud PW Member since 15/10/2003
A lurktastic 2678 posts!

elgaucho

Post by elgaucho » Thu Apr 18, 2019 6:11 pm

Anyone else read Garth Ennis's books for The Boys? (illustrated by the great Darrick Robertson, who also was involved in Warren Ellis's Transmetropolitan which EVERYONE should read! /unrepentant comic pimping)

New Trailer is out - looks moderately faithful to the source for now!

Proud PW Member since 15/10/2003
A lurktastic 2678 posts!

Rusty

Post by Rusty » Thu Apr 18, 2019 10:42 pm

Ooh, like the look of that. Plus a fan of Garth Ennis in general. Must track down transmetropolitan..
-- To be completed at some point --

Alan

Post by Alan » Fri Apr 19, 2019 3:14 am

Crazy Ex Girlfriend
A bit sad that’s it wrapped up, it’s been my go to guilty pleasure for quite a while now. Some great stuff in it and it’s always been worth a laugh or two. It didn’t conclude all that satisfyingly but st the same time they couldn’t really have went any other way without it heading back into Rebecca’s cycle again so... *shrug*

Cheat
It’s another one of those “oh the twists!!!!” British TV joints. It’s decently done but it feels old hat.

Cleaning Up
Couldn’t watch more than 2 eps. I detest the main character that were supposed to get behind. I get she has problems but she’s such a selfish using bitch that I just can’t.

Animalmother
Local

Post by Animalmother » Fri Apr 19, 2019 5:13 pm

Black Summer

Yet another zombie themed show on Netflix. It's a a spin-off of Z Nation but set a few weeks after the first outbreak. While Z Nation is a comedy this takes itself a bit seriously. While not great it's not that bad either. There's an episode where one hapless character is chased around a deserted town by a very determined zombie and it turns into a farce.

The acting in places is a bit rough and the constantly moving camera technique can be a bit irritating in places. Overall it's worth a look.