Good TV (aka, the TV series spamthread), the second series

Small Screen. Bigger Screen.
Sly Boots
Bar Staff

Re: Good TV (aka, the TV series spamthread), the second series

Post by Sly Boots » Fri Jan 24, 2020 3:54 pm

Yeah, agree with that. It's an interesting one, but DFWC is a lot more gripping. It might differ if you know anything about American Football, though, which I don't. I'd never heard of the guy before.

Animalmother
Local

Post by Animalmother » Sat Jan 25, 2020 6:02 pm

Norsemen

Yeah this is good. I'd almost call it a mixture of Blackadder and The Office via Vikings.

Sly Boots
Bar Staff

Post by Sly Boots » Sat Jan 25, 2020 6:05 pm

Animalmother wrote:
Sat Jan 25, 2020 6:02 pm
Norsemen

Yeah this is good. I'd almost call it a mixture of Blackadder and The Office via Vikings.
:D

Exactly!

Raid
Local

Post by Raid » Sat Jan 25, 2020 6:26 pm

I will get 'round to watching that at some point. On a vaguely similar note, I'm just finishing off The Last Kingdom (I think I have 2 episodes left to go), which was recommended by my history-buff step-dad. I've certainly enjoyed it, but it has at times felt a little like a soap opera which I wasn't really expecting.

Snowy
Local

Post by Snowy » Sat Jan 25, 2020 7:44 pm

The books are fantastic mate, well worth your time.
RCHD wrote:Snowy is my favourite. He's a metal God.
08/10/2003 - 17/08/2018
10501 :-({|=

Alan

Post by Alan » Sun Jan 26, 2020 4:10 pm

Jim Henson’s The Storyteller
It’s on Amazon prime and I love this so fucking much. The puppets are awesome, John Hurt is wonderful, the stories are equal parts lovely and daft and the utter crappy cheapness of the effects is embraced. It’s one of the most charming things ever.
A man who could tell more truth and eat fewer pies.

Sly Boots
Bar Staff

Post by Sly Boots » Tue Jan 28, 2020 6:33 pm

I used to love that as a kid. Haven't sought it out as an adult as I wasn't sure if it would still hold up, but reading that may give it a go now on Prime.

Drarok

Post by Drarok » Wed Jan 29, 2020 4:29 pm

Drarok wrote:
Fri Dec 13, 2019 2:56 pm
A mate recommended You're The Worst to me a while back, and I'm thoroughly enjoying most of it. It's about two horrible people trying to bumble through a relationship, though the second season concentrates on one of them having depression and that was a bit too real for me. I'm into season 4 now and it's still going strong, season 5 is the last which only finished in April this year. Not sure how I'd never heard of it before.

More info: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/You%27re_the_Worst
I finished watching this a week or two back, and overall the journey the characters and I endured was excellent. Some tough watching in there, but it didn't overstay its welcome and the ending was pretty satisfying. Recommended. 👍🏼
Raid wrote:
Thu Jan 28, 2021 2:24 pm
And that's the story of why I'm not allowed near pregnant women for the next few weeks.

Sly Boots
Bar Staff

Post by Sly Boots » Fri Jan 31, 2020 2:27 pm

Started watching Ozark last night after seeing positive comments about it. Only watched the first two episodes, but enjoying it. Feels slightly odd watching a show where there are no characters to root for as everyone is awful, but I guess that's what they were going for. Similar to Breaking Bad I suppose, but Bryan Cranston played Walter White with such charisma you kind of rooted for him in spite of the fact he was objectively an awful human being.

Alan

Post by Alan » Fri Jan 31, 2020 2:49 pm

Always rooted for Ruthie. She’s awful but she’s adorably awful.
A man who could tell more truth and eat fewer pies.

Sly Boots
Bar Staff

Post by Sly Boots » Fri Jan 31, 2020 2:59 pm

Alan wrote:
Fri Jan 31, 2020 2:49 pm
Always rooted for Ruthie. She’s awful but she’s adorably awful.
She was only really introduced at the end of the one we saw last night :)

Drarok

Post by Drarok » Mon Feb 03, 2020 12:49 pm

The Good Place just ended. Great show from start to finish. It's best to watch it "cold", so to speak, but the tl;dr is this (thanks, Wikipedia!):
The series focuses on Eleanor Shellstrop (Kristen Bell), who wakes up in the afterlife and is introduced by Michael (Ted Danson) to "the Good Place", a highly selective Heaven-like utopia he designed, as a reward for her righteous life. However, she realizes that she was sent there by mistake and must hide her morally imperfect behavior while trying to become a better and more ethical person.
Fantastic TV, can't recommend it enough. It's on Netflix.
Raid wrote:
Thu Jan 28, 2021 2:24 pm
And that's the story of why I'm not allowed near pregnant women for the next few weeks.

Hatredsheart

Post by Hatredsheart » Mon Feb 03, 2020 1:25 pm

Drarok wrote:
Mon Feb 03, 2020 12:49 pm
The Good Place just ended. Great show from start to finish. It's best to watch it "cold", so to speak, but the tl;dr is this (thanks, Wikipedia!):
The series focuses on Eleanor Shellstrop (Kristen Bell), who wakes up in the afterlife and is introduced by Michael (Ted Danson) to "the Good Place", a highly selective Heaven-like utopia he designed, as a reward for her righteous life. However, she realizes that she was sent there by mistake and must hide her morally imperfect behavior while trying to become a better and more ethical person.
I enjoyed it too, just got the last ever episode to watch tonight.
Formerly Dr@gon-UK, but still the Forum Fossil

𝕯𝖔𝖓'𝖙 𝖋𝖊𝖆𝖗 𝕿𝖍𝖊 𝕽𝖊𝖆𝖕𝖊𝖗

Sly Boots
Bar Staff

Post by Sly Boots » Mon Feb 03, 2020 1:40 pm

Drarok wrote:
Mon Feb 03, 2020 12:49 pm
Have absolutely loved it from start to finish. Felt very bittersweet ending it - the finale itself is great and there was definitely a speck of dust in my eyes as final farewells were being said, but I'm going to miss it terribly.

Strudel

Post by Strudel » Mon Feb 03, 2020 1:51 pm

I really enjoyed it from start to finish too. And I'm glad that Michael Schur didn't try to push it for any longer than it ran. I'm a little sorry there won't be any more but I don't think it could have maintained such a standard if they had dragged it on.