Animalmother
Local

Re: Good TV (aka, the TV series spamthread), the second series

Post by Animalmother » Sat Oct 09, 2021 10:27 am

Sly Boots wrote:
Fri Oct 08, 2021 9:45 pm
Raid wrote:
Fri Oct 08, 2021 9:36 pm
Do we think there's another series coming?
I would say definitely, given the ending. I'm expecting it to be Gi Hun trying to take it down from within somehow, but not sure it will be as compelling.
I read somewhere that the writer said there isn't much chance of a follow up as it took him over 10 years to write and get produced, plus the whole experience left him knackered.

A US or other country remake is more likely I think but couldn't be anywhere near as good.

Wrathbone
Local

Post by Wrathbone » Tue Oct 12, 2021 8:36 pm

Decided to watch Squid Game since you can’t go 5 minutes online at the moment without hearing about it, and the talk about it here was encouraging. Three episodes in and I’m hooked! Great stuff.

Any other South Korean shows on Netflix worth watching? I’ve no idea where to start.

Sly Boots
Bar Staff

Post by Sly Boots » Tue Oct 12, 2021 8:55 pm

Wrathbone wrote:
Tue Oct 12, 2021 8:36 pm
Decided to watch Squid Game since you can’t go 5 minutes online at the moment without hearing about it, and the talk about it here was encouraging. Three episodes in and I’m hooked! Great stuff.

Any other South Korean shows on Netflix worth watching? I’ve no idea where to start.
Ooh, yeah, there are some great ones from that part of the world.

Kingdom - Zombie apocalypse in feudal medieval Korea (a prequel film was released recently, but I'd watch it last)
Sweet Home - mutant apocalypse in modern Korea
Alice in Borderland - Japanese kinda-similar to Squid Game. We haven't yet watched all of this (wasn't my wife's cup of tea (bit gory) and I got sidetracked)

Film-wise, watch Train to Busan if you haven't already

Mantis
Landlord

Post by Mantis » Tue Oct 12, 2021 9:01 pm

Three episodes into Squid Game myself now and also thoroughly enjoying it.

Sly Boots
Bar Staff

Post by Sly Boots » Tue Oct 12, 2021 9:08 pm

It makes me happy that so many people are watching it, probably my show of the year thus far :D

Wrathbone
Local

Post by Wrathbone » Tue Oct 12, 2021 9:16 pm

Sly Boots wrote:
Tue Oct 12, 2021 8:55 pm
Wrathbone wrote:
Tue Oct 12, 2021 8:36 pm

Ooh, yeah, there are some great ones from that part of the world.

Kingdom - Zombie apocalypse in feudal medieval Korea (a prequel film was released recently, but I'd watch it last)
Sweet Home - mutant apocalypse in modern Korea
Alice in Borderland - Japanese kinda-similar to Squid Game. We haven't yet watched all of this (wasn't my wife's cup of tea (bit gory) and I got sidetracked)

Film-wise, watch Train to Busan if you haven't already
Cheers, will have a peruse once Squid Game has finished psychologically and emotionally disturbing me. :lol:

Animalmother
Local

Post by Animalmother » Wed Oct 13, 2021 9:33 am

DP is supposed to be great as well. Military police trying to catch young men avoiding the draft. Trailer makes it look like a comedy but it's apparently pretty grim.

Wrathbone
Local

Post by Wrathbone » Fri Oct 15, 2021 8:57 am

So I finished Squid Game. It's been a while since I've been that wrapped up in a series as punishing as this.
Spoiler
Aside from the painful American accents and dialogue (which I can forgive since the reverse is doubtless true of most Western shows portraying foreign language), there was only one major flaw, and that was the subplot with the detective and his brother, the Front Man. It feels like that was set up for a second series, given that it was completely unresolved and ended with more questions than answers. Also the Front Man seemed to make a point of shooting his brother in the shoulder rather than anywhere clearly lethal, potentially letting him survive.

Raid
Local

Post by Raid » Fri Oct 15, 2021 9:16 am

Wrathbone wrote:
Fri Oct 15, 2021 8:57 am
Spoiler
Also the Front Man seemed to make a point of shooting his brother in the shoulder rather than anywhere clearly lethal, potentially letting him survive.
Spoiler
Yeah, that's how I saw it too. I was genuinely surprised when it didn't show him climbing out of the water in the next episode (we clearly heard a splash after he fell, so we know he ended up in the sea rather than landing on the rocks). Perhaps that plot will resolve with the information he sent to his superiors actually having been received, and that his death will simply be the impetus for a real investigation.

Sly Boots
Bar Staff

Post by Sly Boots » Fri Oct 15, 2021 9:47 am

What the creator has said notwithstanding, I'd be amazed given its success and the way it ended, if there wasn't a second season.

Mantis
Landlord

Post by Mantis » Fri Oct 15, 2021 11:05 am

We have two episodes to go. We were pretty emotionally traumatised by the marbles one last night

Sly Boots
Bar Staff

Post by Sly Boots » Fri Oct 15, 2021 11:10 am

Mantis wrote:
Fri Oct 15, 2021 11:05 am
We have two episodes to go. We were pretty emotionally traumatised by the marbles one last night
I know, killer hour of TV that.

Animalmother
Local

Post by Animalmother » Sat Oct 16, 2021 11:27 am

Midnight Mass
Really enjoying this so far, ended up watching the first 3 episodes in one sitting. You can forget it's a horror and just a drama set on a remote island community when something creepy happens and suddenly reminds you again. It feels a bit like Stephen King but without the stuff that can make Stephen King adaptions a chore to watch.

Finished the last episode, excellent stuff and highly recommend.

Raid
Local

Post by Raid » Sun Nov 07, 2021 10:24 pm

I considered not mentioning this here, because when a man in his thirties says that a show called She-Ra and the Princesses of Power is probably one of the most important shows, and that a spandex-clad cat-girl is the most compelling antagonist he's seen in ages, it probably raises an eyebrow or two. It's very obviously aimed at a young audience, but it deals with a hell of a lot of issues (including abusive parents, abandonment, body positivity, alternative pronouns and so on) with serious positivity and compassion, that I can see this really helping that audience deal with stuff that they can't really put words to yet. It's the gayest programme I think I've ever seen, and I say that with only the most positive intent that an almost entirely straight man can muster. And it's got genuine, continuous character development that a lot of gore-soaked adult shows can only dream of.

I'm not going to attempt to convince people to watch it, but I really wish there had been more kids shows with this progressive an attitude when I was the intended audience - the world would be a better place for it.

Sly Boots
Bar Staff

Post by Sly Boots » Sun Nov 07, 2021 11:25 pm

I tried to get my daughters to watch that a while ago but they flat-out refused :lol:

I may try again at some point.