Good TV (aka, the TV series spamthread), the second series

Small Screen. Bigger Screen.
Raid
Local

Re: Good TV (aka, the TV series spamthread), the second series

Post by Raid » Tue Sep 24, 2019 7:47 pm

Just finished watching season 3 of The Expanse, and I think it may be my favourite sci-fi TV series (which for me is saying something; science fiction has always been by far my favourite genre). The sci fi trappings; the spaceships, the conceivable future tech, the brilliant attention to detail when it comes to gravity, inertia and how space vehicles ought to behave - they're a superb backdrop to a well written political thriller and mystery story. I don't recall a character I didn't enjoy watching and the main cast is excellent.

It's rare that I binge watch a series because I can't wait for the next episode rather than merely out of habit. I was bloody delighted to see the next series is only a few months away.

Tichinde

Post by Tichinde » Wed Sep 25, 2019 11:22 am

Peaky Blinders season 5 wrapped up the other day.
What a bland season that turned out to be.
"Religion, shit it" - Stephen Fry

Medicine Man
Bar Staff

Post by Medicine Man » Sun Sep 29, 2019 1:32 pm

New series of Big Mouth starts on Netflix this coming Friday.

Sly Boots
Bar Staff

Post by Sly Boots » Sun Sep 29, 2019 6:17 pm

:D

Medicine Man
Bar Staff

Post by Medicine Man » Mon Sep 30, 2019 1:55 pm

Part one of the sixth and final season of BoJack starts at the end of October..

Part one hits October 25th with the rest to follow January 31st.

Sly Boots
Bar Staff

Post by Sly Boots » Mon Sep 30, 2019 1:58 pm

Double :D

Nice, was just thinking it had been a while since we'd last seen some of these shows. And another series of The Good Place just started - we're being spoiled!

Sly Boots
Bar Staff

Post by Sly Boots » Mon Sep 30, 2019 2:32 pm

One thing we have been enjoying this past week on Netflix is Happy Valley.

It's a few years old, a BBC drama along similar kind of lines (I guess) to Line of Duty, although it's based on frontline cops in Yorkshire rather than police corruption. In any case, it's very good. We're about the finish the first 6-part series, and I believe there's a second one as well.

I'd never heard of it before, but if you enjoyed LoD and/or Broadchurch it's worth a go.

Alan

Post by Alan » Mon Sep 30, 2019 4:38 pm

It’s great. S2 isn’t as good but it’s decent.
A man who could tell more truth and eat fewer pies.

Stormbringer
Rad Dad

Post by Stormbringer » Tue Oct 01, 2019 10:07 am

My wife loves Jane Austen, so we're watching a series called Sanditon, which is based on an unfinished novel of Jane's by the same title. The writers took the concept of the fragment and made up their own story based on Austen's concept. As these things go, it's pretty good.
Between tedium and fright
Such is the song of the nether world
The hissing of rats
And the jarring chants of angels

Mantis
Landlord

Post by Mantis » Wed Oct 02, 2019 9:17 pm

I've just finished the available seasons of Dark.

It's utterly ridiculous, but I love this show.

Strudel

Post by Strudel » Fri Oct 04, 2019 8:52 am

I am very very much looking forward to this:

I thoroughly love the books and like pretty much everyone hated the film they made where they basically butchered the story and characters. Fingers crossed that HBO and BBC do it properly.

Alan

Post by Alan » Sun Oct 06, 2019 2:29 pm

Marianne on Netflix it’s quite excellent so far! Horror series about a writer that’s somehow linked to an evil spirit. It’s not one that relies on modern horror tropes of ”quiet..........AAAAARRRGGGHHH!!!!” it earns its atmosphere by showing pretty much everything and in doing so it earns some laughs but uneasy laughs more than gut laughs. Well acted and good production values. We’re half way through and so far I’d really recommend it.

Stormbringer
Rad Dad

Post by Stormbringer » Sun Oct 06, 2019 10:48 pm

Just started watching a period drama with the wife called Beecham House. It's 1795. An English gentleman with a checkered past and military experience sets up residence at a posh mansion in Delhi. Family drama ensues atop a powder-keg political situation between the French, the East India Company, and the Indians. Really enjoying it so far. It's sort of "Poldark in India".
Between tedium and fright
Such is the song of the nether world
The hissing of rats
And the jarring chants of angels

Alan

Post by Alan » Sat Oct 12, 2019 11:59 am

Alan wrote:
Sun Oct 06, 2019 2:29 pm
Marianne on Netflix it’s quite excellent so far! Horror series about a writer that’s somehow linked to an evil spirit. It’s not one that relies on modern horror tropes of ”quiet..........AAAAARRRGGGHHH!!!!” it earns its atmosphere by showing pretty much everything and in doing so it earns some laughs but uneasy laughs more than gut laughs. Well acted and good production values. We’re half way through and so far I’d really recommend it.
Finished! What a great wee show!

Snowy
Local

Post by Snowy » Mon Oct 14, 2019 10:48 am

Started watching Swamp Thing on Prime last night.

I am not sure how it will go, as it was cancelled and cut to 10 of the originally planned 13 episodes for the first season, which has harmed other series that had the same axe wielded (The Borgias for one).

I am a little torn on it too. I do like it - it is pretty dark and very violent, but falls down in two important aread - the plot and script. From the one episode I have watched, at least.

All the hero series seem the same, incapable of creating a script that rings true. The heroine doctor gets attacked by an overblown plant in a hospital basement at one point in a scene reminiscent of The Thing, leaves the other hero biologist battling it and runs upstairs to give CPR to a child, looking ecstatic when that child comes round. Not the slightest trace of worry that there is a sentient plant downstairs and her new friend in his flip-flops left battling it alone, what might happen if he fails and it rampages through a hospital.

Then the doctor goes to a bar, where she meets someone from her past who is supposed to be a recovering alcoholic who turned to booze because of something the heroine has done. My best mate is a recovering alcoholic, and the one place that he would avoid like the plague would be a fucking bar...

That leads to the script. The ex-alcoholic has a ranty conversation where any real exposition is strenuously avoided, no doubt in order to be drip-fed over the coming episodes, culminating in her demanding the doctor promises the recently CPR'ed child won't die - a child at this stage suffering from an unknown pathogen and patient zero to boot. Every doctor in the world would say "I can't promise that" but no, heroine doctor "Yes I promise". Gah.

And then there is the total inability of the show's creators not to make the characters total dicks. The biologist (who is a kinda integral character given that he is gonna become Swamp Thing) is an absolute pecker.

But... I loved Swamp Thing as a kid, and it is really well done, dark, horror oriented, out in the back end of the US somewhere (not that everyone talking with Californian accents gives that impression). Great effects, really bloody and nasty. As long as you can tolerate the vast helpings of cheese from a plot and script perspective.
RCHD wrote:Snowy is my favourite. He's a metal God.
08/10/2003 - 17/08/2018
10501 :-({|=