Good TV (aka, the TV series spamthread), the second series

Small Screen. Bigger Screen.
Achtung Englander

Re: Good TV (aka, the TV series spamthread), the second series

Post by Achtung Englander » Thu May 20, 2021 7:47 pm

Animalmother wrote:
Thu May 20, 2021 9:09 am
Then get your ass watching Dark if you already haven't. Then Resident Alien, Final Space and the first few seasons of Archer while your at it.
I have my orders. Thanks! :lol:
Games playing : Bioshock (Remastered) / Total War Britannia / Dirt 4

Achtung Englander

Post by Achtung Englander » Thu May 20, 2021 8:32 pm

Fargo season 4 (channel 4)

So far, after 2 episodes, its so-so. I am huge fan of the TV series and really enjoyed the first 3 seasons, with season 1 still the best. I have a man-crush for the Gomorrah star Salvatore Esposito but even he cannot bring this series to high heights. I hope its get better. I will watch it to the end but the missing X factor is the quirkiness of the Fargo universe itself. It is as if the producers forgot to put the most important ingredient in the stew.

To be marked when I have seen the season finale.

Sly Boots
Bar Staff

Post by Sly Boots » Thu May 20, 2021 9:03 pm

Achtung Englander wrote:
Thu May 20, 2021 8:32 pm
Fargo season 4 (channel 4)

So far, after 2 episodes, its so-so. I am huge fan of the TV series and really enjoyed the first 3 seasons, with season 1 still the best. I have a man-crush for the Gomorrah star Salvatore Esposito but even he cannot bring this series to high heights. I hope its get better. I will watch it to the end but the missing X factor is the quirkiness of the Fargo universe itself. It is as if the producers forgot to put the most important ingredient in the stew.

To be marked when I have seen the season finale.
Yup, I thought the quality dropped off massively for season 4, to the point where we bailed on it about three episodes in when I realised I didn't care about any of the characters or what was going on.

Animalmother
Local

Post by Animalmother » Thu May 20, 2021 11:07 pm

Dracula the BBC thing from last year. After the first episode I can safely say that is one of the more unique interpretations of the story I think I've seen. It's just very fucking odd. I'll watch the rest more out of curiosity than anything else.

elgaucho

Post by elgaucho » Mon May 24, 2021 8:17 am

Raid wrote:
Fri May 07, 2021 7:53 pm
Invincible

This was pretty good. It took me a few episodes to get into, but once it hooked me I didn't watch anything else until I'd finished. I think it left a poor first impression when so many of the superheroes on screen are just a bit too derivative, with an Obviously Superman and Obviously Batman and Obviously The Flash, in fact the entire major superhero team at the start of the series is just a massive rip off of the entire Justice League, and it leaves you wondering whether the series will lack original ideas. It definitely picks up though, with the series' major hook happening at the end of the first episode, and the story and characters are interesting. There wasn't a single part that I thought was filler.

I think it could have done with a bigger animation budget; the style is decent but the framerate of elements across even the same frame can vary distractingly, and it occasionally has what look like fill frames (which aren't as detailed as key frames) left on screen for noticeable periods leaving the occasional face of a major character looking like fanart. I will say that I'm pretty sure it had a soundtrack, though I can't for the life of me remember what style it even was, but at least the voice cast is good.
I'm a bit late responding to this one. The whole stereotyped super heroes thing was indeed extremely deliberate. With the early books, Kirkman was deliberately playing on the predictability and cliche-ness of super hero tropes so that when he eventually pulls the rug out from you it just kind of makes you go wtf!

I've actually re-read 22 of the 25 trade paperbacks again since this series aired - i hadn't really intended to, but the fact I was drawn in again reminds me why I enjoyed the series so much. The books really are brutal, the changes in direction really keep on coming, and everything just keeps you going and interested in the characters. I'm quite looking forward to S2 and to see how far they take the story adaptation. :)
Proud PW Member since 15/10/2003
A lurktastic 2678 posts!

elgaucho

Post by elgaucho » Mon May 24, 2021 8:36 am

Sly Boots wrote:
Thu May 20, 2021 11:41 am
Mantis wrote:
Thu May 20, 2021 11:36 am
Warren Ellis, quite a few woman accused him of trying to groom them online. I think Netflix sacked him before season 4 was produced but he'd already written it so they used his scripts.
It doesn't seem like they're accusing him of doing anything illegal, but damn it's sleazy as hell:
Now, more than 60 women have come together to launch the website So Many of Us, to document their concurrent relationships with Ellis and encourage others to come forward. They allege that Ellis has pursued sexual relationships with a staggering number of his female fans, all the while deceiving them about the number of relationships he was in; based on the account of these women, it appears he was maintaining at least 19 relationships simultaneously at one point in 2009.
https://www.theguardian.com/books/2020/ ... tropolitan
WTF.... :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

I had no idea about any of this, and I'm destroyed after reading that article. Transmetropolitan is one of the best books I've ever read in my life, and it was never more relevant than when Trump was elected to office.

It's been a hope of mine for years that someone might find a way to adapt it to the screen, as it is simply phenomenal. But with news like this, it's hard to justify or ever see it happening, now. It's very disappointing.

PS: Ellis was also the writer on a very old little game called Hostile Waters that was excellent in its own right many years ago

A lurktastic 2678 posts!

Animalmother
Local

Post by Animalmother » Tue Jun 01, 2021 10:23 am

Rewatching The Witcher. Definitely enjoying it more in a second watch as things make more sense now. When you realise it's set over different time periods, sometimes spanning several decades, the story isn't so confusing :lol:

Looking forward to season 2 whenever that comes out.

eny

Post by eny » Thu Jun 03, 2021 10:26 am

Line of Duty series 6 in a nutshell:

Spoilers only if you watch this after watching the series! :lol:
Everything on the internet is 100% true.

– Abraham Lincoln
˙ƃuıʇıɹʍ ʎuıʇ ʎllɐǝɹ uʍop ǝpısdn

Sly Boots
Bar Staff

Post by Sly Boots » Sat Jun 05, 2021 9:32 pm

Sweet Tooth

Only watched the first episode, but pretty positive early impressions, looks like it will be a good'un.

Achtung Englander

Post by Achtung Englander » Fri Jun 11, 2021 1:32 pm

Invicible (Prime)

9/10

Great ending and so not expected. It did suffer some comic book troupes and it was maybe an episode or two too long but I loved the ideas and where this could lead in the second season. I have one question
Spoiler
why did Omni-Man wait so long on Earth before springing the fact he wanted to take over the planet? I know time has no meaning for him, but what was he waiting for?

Sly Boots
Bar Staff

Post by Sly Boots » Fri Jun 11, 2021 2:01 pm

Achtung Englander wrote:
Fri Jun 11, 2021 1:32 pm
Invicible (Prime)

9/10

Great ending and so not expected. It did suffer some comic book troupes and it was maybe an episode or two too long but I loved the ideas and where this could lead in the second season. I have one question
Spoiler
why did Omni-Man wait so long on Earth before springing the fact he wanted to take over the planet? I know time has no meaning for him, but what was he waiting for?
Spoiler
Did he not have a kid fairly soon after arriving? Could be he was waiting for him to grow up and for his powers, if any, to manifest, with a view to recruiting him to the cause.

He didn't arrive as an invading force, rather to recon the planet and sew the seeds for future invasion, it's possible he's taken a while to evaluate Earth to judge whether it's worthy of joining their empire, or for society to advance to a point where it was worth colonising.

Achtung Englander

Post by Achtung Englander » Fri Jun 11, 2021 3:29 pm

Thanks

Raid
Local

Post by Raid » Fri Jun 11, 2021 4:12 pm

I think I could have happily doubled the runtime of Invincible's first season. It never felt rushed or truncated, I just wanted more of it by the end.

elgaucho

Post by elgaucho » Fri Jun 11, 2021 5:52 pm

Sly Boots wrote:
Fri Jun 11, 2021 2:01 pm
Achtung Englander wrote:
Fri Jun 11, 2021 1:32 pm
Invicible (Prime)

9/10

Spoiler
Spoiler
Did he not have a kid fairly soon after arriving? Could be he was waiting for him to grow up and for his powers, if any, to manifest, with a view to recruiting him to the cause.

He didn't arrive as an invading force, rather to recon the planet and sew the seeds for future invasion, it's possible he's taken a while to evaluate Earth to judge whether it's worthy of joining their empire, or for society to advance to a point where it was worth colonising.
very light book spoilers. It's implied in the last episode, but to answer Achtung's question in more detail (Sly pretty much has it)
Spoiler
Nolan was waiting to see if Mark developed powers, and whether human DNA was compatible for breeding viltrumites. Until there was an indication one way or another he did not have to act. Mark developing powers was the catalyst for all the events this season, and him going after the guardians, to weaken earth for viltrumite control. All that is part of the Viltrumite mission.
I'm going to be laughing silly watching you guys react to season 2 :D :D :D
A lurktastic 2678 posts!

Alan

Post by Alan » Wed Jun 16, 2021 5:20 pm

Liseys Story
From only episode one, this is shit. Good cast but the pace is awful.

Handmaids Tale s4 up to ep5
Improbable coincidences galore! It’s still decent but it’s nowhere as good as S1/2.
A man who could tell more truth and eat fewer pies.