Good TV (aka, the TV series spamthread), the second series

Small Screen. Bigger Screen.
Sly Boots
Bar Staff

Re: Good TV (aka, the TV series spamthread), the second series

Post by Sly Boots » Sat Nov 13, 2021 2:47 pm

Anyone watching Arcane, the League of Legends series on Netflix?

It may be one of the best animated series ever, and I say that as someone who never played the game. Currently sitting at 9.4 on IMDB after 17k-odd ratings.

Raid
Local

Post by Raid » Sat Nov 13, 2021 4:04 pm

I hadn't, but I watched the first episode on the strength of that recommendation. I'd ignored it because I have no real knowledge of League of Legends; I'd seen some pretty cool looking character concepts (and I recognised that Jinx was a character name), but know absolutely nothing about the setting.

Yeah, looks like it's going to be pretty special. It's certainly visually striking; every frame looks like a piece of concept art and the animation and voice acting are excellent. I imagine it was an extremely expensive production. Was it League of Legends that was basically the most played game on Earth at one point? All of these moba things sorta blend in to one another for me. I assume they have the cash to burn, but it must be extremely cool for fans to have such a lavish production made.

I'll certainly continue watching.

Sly Boots
Bar Staff

Post by Sly Boots » Sat Nov 13, 2021 4:44 pm

Raid wrote:
Sat Nov 13, 2021 4:04 pm
I hadn't, but I watched the first episode on the strength of that recommendation. I'd ignored it because I have no real knowledge of League of Legends; I'd seen some pretty cool looking character concepts (and I recognised that Jinx was a character name), but know absolutely nothing about the setting.

Yeah, looks like it's going to be pretty special. It's certainly visually striking; every frame looks like a piece of concept art and the animation and voice acting are excellent. I imagine it was an extremely expensive production. Was it League of Legends that was basically the most played game on Earth at one point? All of these moba things sorta blend in to one another for me. I assume they have the cash to burn, but it must be extremely cool for fans to have such a lavish production made.

I'll certainly continue watching.
Yeah, the first episode pulled me in immediately, but it's the third where things really kick-off big time. And, as you say, the animation is stunning.

Mantis
Landlord

Post by Mantis » Tue Nov 16, 2021 7:49 pm

Just caught up with the currently released episodes myself and have been very impressed. The art and animation is just fantastic, and it's well written and voiced on top of that. I went in knowing nothing about the game series and was hooked from the start.

Hatredsheart

Post by Hatredsheart » Wed Nov 17, 2021 9:18 am

Love this show, sad to see it go but better to go on a high than get to a "jump the shark" moment.
Formerly Dr@gon-UK, but still the Forum Fossil

𝕯𝖔𝖓'𝖙 𝖋𝖊𝖆𝖗 𝕿𝖍𝖊 𝕽𝖊𝖆𝖕𝖊𝖗

Snowy
Local

Post by Snowy » Thu Nov 18, 2021 7:42 am

Just seen in the press that the Amazon adaptation of Robert Jordan's Wheel of Time series starts tomorrow, with the first three episodes dropping on Prime. As someone who has read through the entire titanic tale (14 books, each around 1000 pages in length) more than once, I will be interested to see how well they do it. It is a hell of an undertaking, as the amount of characters alone is bloody massive, let along all the plot threads etc.

Hope they do it justice...
RCHD wrote:Snowy is my favourite. He's a metal God.
08/10/2003 - 17/08/2018
10501 :-({|=

Alan

Post by Alan » Thu Nov 18, 2021 11:30 am

The Mating Game, Attenborough's latest show is absolutely fantastic. Unbelievably good camera work.

We've also been watching Goliath on prime. Billy Bob Thornton is a drunk washed up lawyer taking one last case.

Season 1.
A little silly but mostly by the numbers. Fairly enjoyable.

Season 2.
Fucking what is this show?!

Season 3.
Did Beau Bridges just use magic?

If Season 4 doesnt feature space or time travel I'll be disappointed.

Its not great but it is bloody stupid. I think it wants some Breaking Bad pie.
A man who could tell more truth and eat fewer pies.

Hatredsheart

Post by Hatredsheart » Thu Nov 18, 2021 12:06 pm

Enjoyed Goliath series one. Gave up part way through series 2, didn't feel like I was watching the same show tbh.

𝕯𝖔𝖓'𝖙 𝖋𝖊𝖆𝖗 𝕿𝖍𝖊 𝕽𝖊𝖆𝖕𝖊𝖗

Sly Boots
Bar Staff

Post by Sly Boots » Thu Nov 18, 2021 12:13 pm

I think we watched one episode of Goliath, but it didn't grab us so we didn't watch any more.

Meanwhile, S2 of Tiger King landed yesterday. Watched the first couple already, while it doesn't have the same shock value as the first, there is still interest to be had as there's a lot that didn't come out in the first season - notably further details/suspicion of what happened to Don Lewis, Carol Baskins' first husband (who Joe Exotic, among many, thinks she killed and fed to tigers).

I'm pretty sure he is dead, however there's a lot going on in his past that suggests at least a few other ways he could have met his end.

Wrathbone
Local

Post by Wrathbone » Thu Nov 18, 2021 12:33 pm

Yeah, I watched the first few last night. I mostly spent the time remembering all the many insane things from the first season that I’d forgotten about. Like you say, it’s a bit tamer now but I did clutch my face in despair at the psychic trying to track down the body. :lol:

Achtung Englander

Post by Achtung Englander » Thu Nov 18, 2021 12:34 pm

Hatredsheart wrote:
Thu Nov 18, 2021 12:06 pm
Enjoyed Goliath series one. Gave up part way through series 2, didn't feel like I was watching the same show tbh.
yes I watched 1 and 2 and gave up on watching 3 after the disappointment of 2.

Finished The Medici, enjoyed most of it.
7/10

Half way through Squid Game and it is everything that people said why its excellent. One of the best shows I have seen in 2021.

Half way through season 1 of Good Girls. The misses wanted to see this and tbh its quite funny. Its wholly unrealistic but good for watching before going to bed. Also it has to be said Christina Hendricks boobs are magnificent. Even the wife is impressed. :lol:
Last edited by Achtung Englander on Thu Nov 18, 2021 12:41 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Games playing : Bioshock (Remastered) / Total War Britannia / Dirt 4

Alan

Post by Alan » Thu Nov 18, 2021 12:37 pm

I'm too stubborn to give up on most shows. I even watched all of that bawtrang of a space show with Katee Sackhoff in it. I forget what its called but wow it was bad.
A man who could tell more truth and eat fewer pies.

Rossell

Post by Rossell » Thu Nov 18, 2021 1:06 pm

Battlestar?

Hatredsheart

Post by Hatredsheart » Thu Nov 18, 2021 1:07 pm

Alan wrote:
Thu Nov 18, 2021 12:37 pm
I'm too stubborn to give up on most shows. I even watched all of that bawtrang of a space show with Katee Sackhoff in it. I forget what its called but wow it was bad.
Another Life? Yeah, Jesus that was bad acting.

𝕯𝖔𝖓'𝖙 𝖋𝖊𝖆𝖗 𝕿𝖍𝖊 𝕽𝖊𝖆𝖕𝖊𝖗

Sly Boots
Bar Staff

Post by Sly Boots » Fri Nov 19, 2021 1:21 pm

Cowboy Bebop (Netflix)

Watched the first one, seems like good fun. I'm not familiar with the source material so can't speak to accuracy or anything, but stylish as hell and worth a look.