Good TV (aka, the TV series spamthread), the second series

Small Screen. Bigger Screen.
Lenny Solidus

Re: Good TV (aka, the TV series spamthread), the second series

Post by Lenny Solidus » Sat Jun 18, 2022 12:06 pm

Stranger Things S4P1

Episode 4 yes it was a great rather stirring moment surrounding and I get the love for Max but they were never going to do that. I keep wishing they would develop Eddie more and was a bit stunned to find out he was a brit. Steve rules of course.

Orange is the new Black

Yes, it took me this long. I do not like Piper. I'm not but five episodes in but something about her irritates me immensely, perhaps that is the intended reaction though given her fish out of water circumstance. Saying that, every other character is a joy to behold and all the mentioning of Mad Men may ensure I get round to watching that next, finally.
Building the future, and keeping the past alive - are one and the same thing.

Solitaire

Post by Solitaire » Sat Jun 18, 2022 2:23 pm

Have we been talking about Mad Men? I missed that somehow, if so. My favorite tv series, #1 for sure.
If Edwin's being an Edwin does he call himself an Edwin?

Animalmother
Local

Post by Animalmother » Tue Jun 21, 2022 6:16 am

The Boys S3. Watched first episode of the new season. It has a scene that will probably go down in tv history... you'll know it when you see it :lol: Great stuff as usual, give me this over Marvel any day. Very funny and gleefully violent, this and Peacemaker have been the best superhero content in years.

Raid
Local

Post by Raid » Tue Jun 21, 2022 7:53 am

Animalmother wrote:
Tue Jun 21, 2022 6:16 am
The Boys S3 It has a scene that will probably go down in tv history... you'll know it when you see it :lol:
I suspect I know which one you're referring to, but it's always difficult to tell with The Boys. There are so many... memorable moments.

Animalmother
Local

Post by Animalmother » Tue Jun 21, 2022 7:56 am

Raid wrote:
Tue Jun 21, 2022 7:53 am
Animalmother wrote:
Tue Jun 21, 2022 6:16 am
The Boys S3 It has a scene that will probably go down in tv history... you'll know it when you see it :lol:
I suspect I know which one you're referring to, but it's always difficult to tell with The Boys. There are so many... memorable moments.
Fair point :lol:

ManBearSquid

Post by ManBearSquid » Tue Jun 21, 2022 12:41 pm

Yeah, but THAT was something else! It's been a very good season so far, probably my favourite show.

Raid
Local

Post by Raid » Wed Jun 22, 2022 7:12 pm

Obi Wan Kenobi

The series is over now. It wasn't bad, not as good as I was hoping, but certainly better than BoBF. The finale is marred by some pretty messy dialogue and a few things that don't really make sense from a continuity perspective, but it's left open-ended enough for a second season.
Spoiler
I know Star Wars has always played fast and loose with distances and timespans, but Obi Wan manages to make it back from the battle with Vader to Tatooine in the time it takes Second Sister to walk back to the Lars homestead. Then Second Sister breaks down in tears and asks him if she's become like Vader when she's just made the decision that proves she isn't. That whole conversation was just badly written, and did nothing to improve my opinion of the character. She wasn't a particularly good antagonist, and yet another example of Star Wars characters seemingly switching from the bad guys to the good guys.

Still, it feels like they may give this one a second season. McGreggor and Christensen have already expressed an interest in doing another. There's a conversation in A New Hope that suggests the Empire thought Obi Wan dead by that point. I think there are only about ten canon years between the two productions and Disney have a massive need to explain every little detail in the original films, so they're not just going to leave it at "oh, he probably died of old age".

Wrathbone
Local

Post by Wrathbone » Wed Jun 22, 2022 10:19 pm

Raid wrote:
Wed Jun 22, 2022 7:12 pm
It wasn't bad, not as good as I was hoping, but certainly better than BoBF.
Yeah, I’d agree with that. It was certainly enjoyable but was uneven in terms of quality.
Spoiler
For the most part, I thought the showdown between Obi Wan and Vader was great, particularly Obi Wan’s heartfelt apology and Vader’s insistence that he killed Anakin, which somewhat vindicates what Obi Wan tells Luke about his father in ANH.

A couple of things bothered me, though. First, as much as I get that Obi Wan doesn’t want to kill his friend, are we seriously supposed to believe that he wouldn’t end Vader this time after seeing what he’s become and the evil he’s unleashing on the galaxy? He’s happy to just wander off and then 13 years later insist that Luke goes and kills his father instead?

Secondly, the wisdom of Yoda’s teachings that a Jedi uses the Force for knowledge and defence, never for attack, was conveniently punted into orbit when Obi Wan unleashed a rock tornado at Vader. Also, what’s with all the rock flinging in this series? I remember Yoda and Dooku exerting all their efforts to lift and throw a single chuck of machinery, and now it seems anyone Force sensitive can juggle a few moons.

I’m also confused with the continuity of why Obi Wan in ESB thinks Luke is their last hope and Yoda has to remind him that Leia exists. Did he just forget their whole adventure in which she showed remarkable resilience, wilfulness and compassion to him? Or how she brought him back from despair and essentially showed him how to hope again? Nah, the whinging, disobedient boy who shoot rats for fun and got over his incinerated aunt and uncle in a heartbeat is the only safe bet.

Raid
Local

Post by Raid » Thu Jun 23, 2022 5:48 am

Wrathbone wrote:
Wed Jun 22, 2022 10:19 pm
Raid wrote:
Wed Jun 22, 2022 7:12 pm
It wasn't bad, not as good as I was hoping, but certainly better than BoBF.
Yeah, I’d agree with that. It was certainly enjoyable but was uneven in terms of quality.

Spoiler
For the most part, I thought the showdown between Obi Wan and Vader was great, particularly Obi Wan’s heartfelt apology and Vader’s insistence that he killed Anakin, which somewhat vindicates what Obi Wan tells Luke about his father in ANH.
The fight between Vader and Obi Wan was excellent. Obi Wan repeatedly pummelling Vader's breathing equipment was a really brutal side to him that I don't think we've seen before, perhaps even a little out of character, but at least it shows there's a downside to him being a cyborg, else we'd probably see more sith turned into them.

A couple of things bothered me, though. First, as much as I get that Obi Wan doesn’t want to kill his friend, are we seriously supposed to believe that he wouldn’t end Vader this time after seeing what he’s become and the evil he’s unleashing on the galaxy? He’s happy to just wander off and then 13 years later insist that Luke goes and kills his father instead?
Yeah, that bugged me too, but more because it was immediately after both Vader and Obi Wan admitted that Anakin Skywalker was already dead. Even if you say that Obi Wan can't kill his friend and padawan regardless of how evil he's become, you've both just agreed that Vader isn't that person. The only justification I can think of for Obi Wan just walking off leaving Vader for dead for a second time is that Jedi don't kill opponents that can no longer fight.

Secondly, the wisdom of Yoda’s teachings that a Jedi uses the Force for knowledge and defence, never for attack, was conveniently punted into orbit when Obi Wan unleashed a rock tornado at Vader. Also, what’s with all the rock flinging in this series? I remember Yoda and Dooku exerting all their efforts to lift and throw a single chuck of machinery, and now it seems anyone Force sensitive can juggle a few moons.
I suppose that's one of the issues with doing prequels; they feel the need to show escalation to the audience even when it doesn't make sense in-timeline. Maybe rocks are easier for a force-sensitive to lift because, being parts of the natural world, they're more affected by the force than artificial things? We do see pretty much every padawan lifting them as part of their training (and Rey similarly lifts a whole load of stone to dig out the Resistance in Last Jedi). I suppose you could argue that it was self defence given that Vader had already used the tactic on Obi Wan.

I’m also confused with the continuity of why Obi Wan in ESB thinks Luke is their last hope and Yoda has to remind him that Leia exists. Did he just forget their whole adventure in which she showed remarkable resilience, wilfulness and compassion to him? Or how she brought him back from despair and essentially showed him how to hope again? Nah, the whinging, disobedient boy who shoot rats for fun and got over his incinerated aunt and uncle in a heartbeat is the only safe bet.
It also spoils the continuity of Leia's message to Obi Wan in ANH. I thought they were going to stick rigidly to Leia referring to him as Ben throughout the series, just so she thinks that Ben Kenobi and Obi Wan Kenobi aren't the same person. She says "years ago you served my father in the clone wars", not "hey, remember that time you went on a galactic quest to rescue me as a kid?". It also makes Luke's mourning Obi Wan's death even less palatable as it turns out Leia had more of a relationship with him than Luke did. I suppose you could argue that Leia comforting Luke as they escaped the Death Star was a show of her strength, because she really didn't appear affected by it.

Wrathbone
Local

Post by Wrathbone » Thu Jun 23, 2022 6:41 am

Spoiler
The more I think about it, the more I like Vader’s final scene with the Emperor, as it succinctly marks his transformation from rage-fuelled vengeance Vader to cold-blooded authoritarian Vader. I love the implication that even the Emperor finds Vader’s intention to destroy everything between him and Obi Wan extreme.

ManBearSquid

Post by ManBearSquid » Fri Jun 24, 2022 9:51 am

Better Call Saul

So, after our discussion on here, and waiting for more Stranger Things and The Boys, I started this about two weeks ago. It took until the episode that really focuses on Mike (EP 6 or so) before it really started to draw me in a bit more. Up until then, I was only mildly interested. Not to say that it was poor or anything, it just took some time to get to the point where I actively want to see what happens next.

Alan

Post by Alan » Fri Jun 24, 2022 9:55 am

I can see that. Its a real slow burn but a masterclass in the slow burn.
A man who could tell more truth and eat fewer pies.

Animalmother
Local

Post by Animalmother » Fri Jun 24, 2022 10:35 am

What We Do In the Shadows
Loved the film and the tv seems to be pretty much the same. A mockumentary about vampires living in New York and being a bunch of self absorbed and often clueless wankers. Matt Berry is a genius bit of casting for this. Only watched the first episode but can see myself really enjoying this.

Big surprise on how great the makeup effects on the vampire lord were, genuinely impressive.

eny

Post by eny » Fri Jun 24, 2022 12:26 pm

Oh, it gets better! Thoroughly entertaining and well written. Energy Vampire is a touch of genius! :D
Everything on the internet is 100% true.

– Abraham Lincoln
˙ƃuıʇıɹʍ ʎuıʇ ʎllɐǝɹ uʍop ǝpısdn

ManBearSquid

Post by ManBearSquid » Fri Jun 24, 2022 12:34 pm

Alan wrote:
Fri Jun 24, 2022 9:55 am
I can see that. Its a real slow burn but a masterclass in the slow burn.
Speaking of slow burns, I also started Night Sky with my partner thinking it would be something we both liked - she wasn't too keen on the pace. I, however, really enjoyed the first, and only, episode that we watched.

I'll continue it solo.