Small Screen. Bigger Screen.
Raid
Local

Re: Good TV (aka, the TV series spamthread), the second series

Post by Raid » Sat Jun 20, 2020 11:34 am

Sly Boots wrote:
Wed Jun 03, 2020 10:26 am
Space Force

A slightly tricky one this, as it's hard to categorise. I would say that you could either call it a comedy that isn't terribly concerned with being funny, or a drama that doesn't take itself seriously. It puts me in mind of something like the first season of Veep, or that it's a comedy in the same way as something like the Orville is ostensibly a comedy in that sometimes the stuff that happens is amusing, but for the most part it isn't the focus.

I know that sounds kinda terrible, but it's not. At least, I enjoyed it, once my expectations were reset that it's not intended to be a laugh-riot. It's not that jokes fall flat, often there aren't jokes at all and scenes are played out as human drama or character development. I guess most of the comedy comes from the characters and the way they react to situations, rather than traditional jokes in the sense of setup->punchline.

I found it very watchable. It's well made and has some fairly big name actors like John Malkovich and Steve Carrell, but it's a hard one to recommend if people go in expecting an overt comedy.
Just watched the first episode and I have to agree; I think the humour comes more from the farcical situation rather than the actual dialogue, but it definitely works. Given the political situation in America, it wouldn't surprise me if this actually gets a fair amount right.

Animalmother
Local

Post by Animalmother » Sun Jun 21, 2020 11:20 am

Rick & Morty season 4 is now on Netflix...

Alan

Post by Alan » Sun Jun 21, 2020 11:49 am

Killing Eve
Still really enjoyable. Much better than last season but not as good as the first. Jodie Comer is just great and Sandra Oh plays off her perfectly.

I read the book a wee while ago, it was fine. Just found out it was a TV series and figured I might as well. Story is James Franco finds a magic cupboard that sends him back to 1960 and so goes on a mission to save JFK. It has pacing problems and Franko isnt great but its fine. Not an awful adaption of the book.

Snowpiercer TV

Bag of pish. Gave up after two episodes.
A man who could tell more truth and eat fewer pies.

Maturin

Post by Maturin » Sun Jun 21, 2020 12:08 pm

Coming towards the end of season 3 of Star Trek: TNG. Enjoying it immensely.

Although a part of me misses the more fun, slightly kitsch vibe from many of the S1 & early S2 episodes, I really love some of the character-driven episodes that start appearing more regularly.

The only character I feel in hindsight wasn't written as well as it could have been was Troi - I like Sirtis' performance but I feel she never had quite enough to get her teeth into compared to the rest.

Raid
Local

Post by Raid » Sun Jun 21, 2020 12:50 pm

Troi suffered from a lack of understanding of exactly what her job was supposed to be on the ship. She was given the title of Counselor, but that was never supposed to be the ship's psychiatrist according to something I read a few years back. She was supposed to be the Captain's advisor, which admittedly was a role she filled in a number of episodes, she was supposed to offer him "counsel", that's what the title referred to. Instead she got given all of the terrible telepathy and, for want of a better term, mind-rape storylines because her defining character trait became her empathic abilities. I think as a result she ended up with the really unpopular stories.

Mantis
Landlord

Post by Mantis » Sun Jun 21, 2020 6:54 pm

Animalmother wrote:
Sun Jun 21, 2020 11:20 am
Only the first half, but it is all excellent as always.

Animalmother
Local

Post by Animalmother » Sun Jun 21, 2020 10:35 pm

Mantis wrote:
Sun Jun 21, 2020 6:54 pm
Animalmother wrote:
Sun Jun 21, 2020 11:20 am
Only the first half, but it is all excellent as always.
I thought the first couple of episodes were passable but the rest were indeed excellent.

Mantis
Landlord

Post by Mantis » Mon Jun 29, 2020 11:47 pm

Dark season three.

Holy cow that was a great show. An episode or two into the last season I think it becomes fairly obvious where the story is going to go, particularly if you've read or seen stories with a similar theme. But damn is it a good pay off. The sheer effort they went to keep everything straight is excellent and seeing the montage of it all coming back round again was so good.

One of my favourite shows for sure.

Achtung Englander

Post by Achtung Englander » Wed Jul 01, 2020 11:10 pm

What We Do In The Shadows season 2

Brilliant. Episode 3 about ghosts is genius. The concept is superb

8/10
Games playing : Bioshock (Remastered) / Total War Britannia / Dirt 4

Hatredsheart

Post by Hatredsheart » Thu Jul 02, 2020 8:25 am

Achtung Englander wrote:
Wed Jul 01, 2020 11:10 pm
What We Do In The Shadows season 2

Brilliant. Episode 3 about ghosts is genius. The concept is superb

8/10
Agree. The episode with the
Spoiler
Superb Owl party
left me weak.
Formerly Dr@gon-UK, but still the Forum Fossil

𝕯𝖔𝖓'𝖙 𝖋𝖊𝖆𝖗 𝕿𝖍𝖊 𝕽𝖊𝖆𝖕𝖊𝖗

Alan

Post by Alan » Sun Jul 05, 2020 2:38 pm

Little Fires Everywhere (prime)
I thought that was superb. Almost all the cast are fantastic at their roles, the story is really well crafted even if the end was a tad iffy. Recommend it! Reallllly great cast.
A man who could tell more truth and eat fewer pies.

Achtung Englander

Post by Achtung Englander » Fri Jul 10, 2020 4:27 pm

[/quote]

Agree. The episode with the
Spoiler
Superb Owl party
left me weak.
[/quote]

Saw that episode 2 nights ago. Oh my god when she said you motherfucker I was in tears of laughter
Games playing : Bioshock (Remastered) / Total War Britannia / Dirt 4

Sly Boots
Bar Staff

Post by Sly Boots » Tue Jul 14, 2020 8:25 am

Upload

New Greg Daniels (The Office, Parks & Rec etc) series on Prime. Set in the near-future where people (at least those wealthy enough) can be uploaded to a digital afterlife when they're about to die.

Blitzed through the series (10 episodes) in the space of three nights, enjoyed it a lot. Just as with Daniels' recent Space Force, it's ostensibly a comedy but while there are some laughs to be had (often at the corporate-run, micro-transaction infested future world the characters inhabit), it's not really what it sets out to do. At its heart it's more of a romance story between the male lead who inhabits one such digital afterlife, and his 'Angel' (basically, tech support), a living woman, which even in this future is quite taboo. There's also a mystery surrounding the circumstances of his death, which are gradually revealed throughout the series (and lead into a second one).

I thought it was really well done, and of this and Space Force this is the one I'd have no hesitation recommending. No big names in the cast, but the leads in particular do a stellar job of being believable and relatable, and while I'm not a huge romance fan generally, this one drew me in.

Snowy
Local

Post by Snowy » Wed Jul 15, 2020 10:26 am

Kingdom on Netflix.

Early days, only a couple of episodes in, but the premise is basically Zombies in Feudal Korea. It is a South Korean production and no expense has been spared. The acting, costume, effects are all top notch (although for the love of god, subtitled, not dubbed) and it looks like they are doing an interesting take on the zoms themselves as well as having a good and intriguing plot for the main protagonists.
RCHD wrote:Snowy is my favourite. He's a metal God.
08/10/2003 - 17/08/2018
10501 :-({|=

Sly Boots
Bar Staff

Post by Sly Boots » Wed Jul 15, 2020 11:02 am

Snowy wrote:
Wed Jul 15, 2020 10:26 am
Kingdom on Netflix.

Early days, only a couple of episodes in, but the premise is basically Zombies in Feudal Korea. It is a South Korean production and no expense has been spared. The acting, costume, effects are all top notch (although for the love of god, subtitled, not dubbed) and it looks like they are doing an interesting take on the zoms themselves as well as having a good and intriguing plot for the main protagonists.
Yep, believe I sang its praises in this very thread a while back. It's a good show, and the second series maintains the quality.