Good TV (aka, the TV series spamthread), the second series

Small Screen. Bigger Screen.
Sly Boots
Bar Staff

Re: Good TV (aka, the TV series spamthread), the second series

Post by Sly Boots » Fri Oct 07, 2022 2:08 pm

It's been out for a few months, but just started watching The Bear on Disney+, early days but first impressions are very good.

It's about a renowned chef who returns to his hometown after his brother dies to try to revive his flagging family deli shop, and everything about it was top quality. Recommended.

Hatredsheart

Post by Hatredsheart » Fri Oct 07, 2022 3:13 pm

Watched it all on Paramount, really excellent. Delighted it's been picked up for a second season.
Formerly Dr@gon-UK, but still the Forum Fossil

𝕯𝖔𝖓'𝖙 π–‹π–Šπ–†π–— π•Ώπ–π–Š π•½π–Šπ–†π–•π–Šπ–—

Sly Boots
Bar Staff

Post by Sly Boots » Fri Oct 07, 2022 3:16 pm

Hatredsheart wrote: ↑
Fri Oct 07, 2022 3:13 pm
Watched it all on Paramount, really excellent. Delighted it's been picked up for a second season.
Nice, I imagine we'll blow through the 8 available episodes pretty quick, so nice to know there's more on the horizon.

Tommy

Post by Tommy » Thu Oct 13, 2022 9:01 pm

Sly Boots wrote: ↑
Fri Oct 07, 2022 2:08 pm
It's been out for a few months, but just started watching The Bear on Disney+, early days but first impressions are very good.

It's about a renowned chef who returns to his hometown after his brother dies to try to revive his flagging family deli shop, and everything about it was top quality. Recommended.
Yeah I watched it over last week. Top quality. Wasn't sure what kind of angle it was going to have.

Achtung Englander

Post by Achtung Englander » Fri Oct 14, 2022 12:15 pm

The Boys Season 3

It really is a guilty pleasure. I genuinely laughed out loud so many times. It works as a spandex superhero nonsense as well as cutting humour on some of the idiotic things that have happened in real life. I am gutted over this
Spoiler
It looks like Dominique McElligott will not be in Season 4, which is a huge shame as I was really beginning to fancy her. The character Queen Maeve is right up there in my top 3 women I would be very happy to be stuck in a lift with
I think I enjoyed this more than Invicible. It reminded me a lot of The Watchmen, but with jokes.

9/10
Games playing : Bioshock (Remastered) / Total War Britannia / Dirt 4

Animalmother
Local

Post by Animalmother » Fri Oct 14, 2022 3:26 pm

Achtung Englander wrote: ↑
Fri Oct 14, 2022 12:15 pm
The Boys Season 3

It really is a guilty pleasure. I genuinely laughed out loud so many times. It works as a spandex superhero nonsense as well as cutting humour on some of the idiotic things that have happened in real life. I am gutted over this
Spoiler
It looks like Dominique McElligott will not be in Season 4, which is a huge shame as I was really beginning to fancy her. The character Queen Maeve is right up there in my top 3 women I would be very happy to be stuck in a lift with
I think I enjoyed this more than Invicible. It reminded me a lot of The Watchmen, but with jokes.

9/10
Give Peacemaker a look if you haven't already. Similar vibe, very funny and hilariously violent.

Sly Boots
Bar Staff

Post by Sly Boots » Fri Oct 14, 2022 3:38 pm

I'd love to watch it but it's not on any of the channels we get (and I'm not into pirating stuff).

Animalmother
Local

Post by Animalmother » Fri Oct 14, 2022 6:58 pm

I'm not sure it's even possible to watch HBO Max outside of the US so I had to Yo ho ho Peacemaker.

Achtung Englander

Post by Achtung Englander » Mon Oct 17, 2022 11:54 am

Love Death Robots season 3

Back to form. Loved every episode. Swarm is the one I liked least, but even in that episode I enjoyed the visuals. Hope season 4 keeps it up.
9/10

Achtung Englander

Post by Achtung Englander » Mon Oct 17, 2022 3:23 pm

If anyone is interested Peacemaker is on Sky

Currently watching Stranger Things 4 (its a bit hammy for my liking) and Better Call Saul 5 again before heading into the final season 6

Raid
Local

Post by Raid » Mon Oct 17, 2022 4:51 pm

Cobra Kai season 5

This is definitely past its best now, but at no point have I wanted to stop watching it. The concept, which was brilliant initially, has just been stretched too thin. It feels like it's a victim of its own success, it ought to have ended two seasons ago now. They've set up another season but it absolutely needs to be the last one.

She-Hulk

I'm quite surprised to report this has been my favourite MCU show. I knew when I heard they'd cast Tatiana Maslany in the lead role I was probably going to enjoy it (if you've not seen Orphan Black I'd highly encourage it, she's a very entertaining actress), but I knew basically nothing about the source material so wasn't sure what to expect. It's not exactly subtle with its messaging, but then it's about a woman dealing with all the shit that women have to put up with who also has the ability to turn into a giant, invincible green titan - subtlety was unlikely to be the goal. It just feels like it wanted to be its own thing rather than a lower budget MCU film or merely expanding plot threads from one. But wow, they go hard on that concept in the final episode and it's clearly going to be divisive.

Animalmother
Local

Post by Animalmother » Tue Oct 18, 2022 9:40 am

The Last Man on Earth
Everyone on the planet is dead from a virus except one guy who slowly starts to descend into madness until he meets another survivor. This could be really good if it wasn't for the fact the main character is such a massive asshole. The other survivor is "kooky" to the point you'll start to hate her too after a while. Other people start showing up who are likable but the main guy just ruins everything. This is a comedy by the way. It is funny but it's also annoying to the point of distraction at times.

Sly Boots
Bar Staff

Post by Sly Boots » Tue Oct 18, 2022 11:43 am

I really got into LMoE, you start to really enjoy Phil after a while. Be ready for the massive cliffhanger where they cancelled a fourth season, though.

elgaucho

Post by elgaucho » Tue Oct 18, 2022 5:56 pm

I think I have my three top shows for the year, and that's despite watching a number of other very entertaining shows....

Tokyo Vice
Absolutely loved the first season of this superbly filmed dark and gritty version of Tokyo, which sees an American reported get a job at the most prestigious newspaper in Japan, and watching Jake build relationships with the police and Yakuza. Superb storytelling all around.
The only negative is just a poor design decision. Something happens at the very start of the show that you expect to be resolved in Season 1. It's not, and leaving it open was very anticlimactic.

The Offer
It's a tough tossup between these three shows, but I'm inclined to give The Offer top billing for show of the year.
It's a tale about the making of The Godfather movie.
And it is STELLARLY cast.... every character is just so full of.... character, and so well written, that this show is a joy to watch! I'm equal parts disappointed that it's over and is a limited time series, and equal parts overjoyed that it was made and I got to enjoy it! Don't miss this show.

Shantaram
I read the book many years ago, and I hoped I'd enjoy this adaptation. So far it's only 3 episodes in, but the production values, again, are superb for this 80's based tv show which sees Charlie Hunnam's character survive in the underbelly of Mumbai. It's a captivating invitation to a culture I really know not enough about. I'm really enjoying this show so far, and there's a certain simplicity to life back then that contrasts very heavily with the back stories that unfold. Great stuff!
Proud PW Member since 15/10/2003
A lurktastic 2678 posts!

Hatredsheart

Post by Hatredsheart » Thu Oct 20, 2022 7:38 am

Achtung Englander wrote: ↑
Sat Jun 25, 2022 1:19 pm
Slow Horses (Apple+)

A very funny (all thanks to an amazing performance from Gary Oldman) and thrilling show. It sometimes stretches credability but the story and acting (Jack Lowden and Kruistin Scott Thomas) and cinematography all look great especially on a 4K telly with the lights off. A second season is coming, probably shot back to back to the first. The Mrs and I really enjoyed it, so much so we actually opted to finish the series than watch the last 2 hours of No Time to Die! (which I find to be a bit boring now. Bond is such a tired franchise)

7/10

At first it was tricky to watch Oldman play another MI5 circus master without thinking of Smiley, but by episode two, the transformation was well and truely established.

Still like to see a cinematic adaptation of Smiley's People.
Formerly Dr@gon-UK, but still the Forum Fossil

𝕯𝖔𝖓'𝖙 π–‹π–Šπ–†π–— π•Ώπ–π–Š π•½π–Šπ–†π–•π–Šπ–—