Re: Good TV (aka, the TV series spamthread), the second series

Post by Snowy » Fri Jan 14, 2022 8:10 am

Drarok wrote:
Fri Jan 14, 2022 12:42 am
Snowy wrote:
Thu Jan 13, 2022 5:00 pm
Squeeeeee!

Hoist the Jolly Roger me hearties!
Need a hand? Got a .tar link on a CDN...
No I had it within a few mins of that post, but looks like ManBearSquid could use the link...
RCHD wrote:Snowy is my favourite. He's a metal God.
08/10/2003 - 17/08/2018
10501 :-({|=

Rusty

Post by Rusty » Fri Jan 14, 2022 8:49 am

I've heard some people use this site: https: // snowfl.com / #

Just remove the extra spaces in the link. Don't want The Gamers Arms pointing directly at it just in case :)
-- To be completed at some point --

Alan

Post by Alan » Fri Jan 14, 2022 2:11 pm

Dexter New Blood
A much better final season that that thing we originally got. Theres a bit of "why would anyone react like that" and "did everyone just forget that x?" but on the whole, pretty good. Clancy Brown is always a pleasure.
A man who could tell more truth and eat fewer pies.

Sly Boots
Bar Staff

Post by Sly Boots » Fri Jan 14, 2022 2:15 pm

Alan wrote:
Fri Jan 14, 2022 2:11 pm
Dexter New Blood
A much better final season that that thing we originally got. Theres a bit of "why would anyone react like that" and "did everyone just forget that x?" but on the whole, pretty good. Clancy Brown is always a pleasure.
It's good... right up until the final scene #-o

Alan

Post by Alan » Fri Jan 14, 2022 2:18 pm

At least he wasnt a lumberjack.
A man who could tell more truth and eat fewer pies.

Sly Boots
Bar Staff

Post by Sly Boots » Fri Jan 14, 2022 2:35 pm

True

Animalmother
Local

Post by Animalmother » Mon Jan 17, 2022 9:58 am

The Book of Boba Fett episode 3. I truly don't know what to make of this show, sometimes it's pretty good and others it's just downright garage. I think the new episode must have been written by a committee, an algorithm or everyone just tossed off an idea into a hat and they went with it.

Wrathbone
Local

Post by Wrathbone » Mon Jan 17, 2022 10:16 am

I know what you mean. It’s very disjointed with all the flashbacks, which don’t tie into the present-day scenes very well. Nothing’s been gained by telling the story non-sequentially.

Lenny Solidus

Post by Lenny Solidus » Mon Jan 17, 2022 10:51 am

It feels like a pretty huge step back from Mando so far, as soon as Temuera Morrison removes the helmet with the fakest sound ever his characters prowess quickly dissipates, he's a fine actor obviously showing his age but Mando worked by keeping this to an absolute minimum. The mystique remained completely intact.

Boba's sand people story has received some backlash from fans but I found myself pretty invested, I thought it worked very well. Overall, it's all a bit lacking some of the cg is especially questionable looking but the show does keep some slight glimmers of promise.
Building the future, and keeping the past alive - are one and the same thing.

Raid
Local

Post by Raid » Mon Jan 17, 2022 1:07 pm

I can't really comment on Morrison's performance; I'm not impressed with it, but that's based on how I feel the character would be responding to things that the showrunners clearly have different ideas about. The Boba Fett we knew from the films, the Boba Fett that Darth Bloody Vader had to warn about being too harsh ("No disintegrations!"), would be doing a hell of a lot more murdering than we've seen. Part of me thinks that people have forgotten that Temeura Morrison played Jango Fett, not Boba, and the performance is being based on the wrong bounty hunter.

That being said, I actually enjoyed episode 3 more than the first two. There was less flashback and more action. It hasn't reached the heights of Mando yet, and I prefer Din Djarin as a character.

Animalmother
Local

Post by Animalmother » Wed Jan 19, 2022 7:59 am

Peacemaker
The spinoff tv show of The Suicide Squad about the Peacemaker character. It's written and directed by James Gunn and is the funniest thing I've seen in a while. John Cena is just brilliant in the part as the murder loving patriotic dipshit turned government assassin. Very similar to The Boys in tone and use of gratuitous violence and swearing but more comedy focused. Eagly is also the greatest thing ever :lol:

Raid
Local

Post by Raid » Wed Jan 19, 2022 8:54 pm

The Expanse

This is, I'm pretty confident in saying, my favourite TV series of all time. The fact that it's now over honestly saddens me a bit, because I can't imagine another series that so perfectly matches my preferences will come along any time soon. I've never seen another science fiction show or film that I find the depiction of so believable. It ends extremely well, it doesn't outstay its welcome (even if I really wish the last season had been longer), and at no point did I feel the writing or production values decreased, like some other favourite sci-fi series I'd care to mention.

There isn't a bad actor in it, and despite it being a fairly long-running show, I don't think any of the characters ever really feels unrealistic in their actions or motivations. I can't think of a character with a better wardrobe in any visual media I've seen than Chrisjen Avasarala (she never looks anything less than incredible), and, not going to lie, I have a massive crush on Bobbie Draper, and not just because of the power armour. I mean the power armour's definitely part of it, but... err, yeah.

I genuinely can't sing its praises highly enough.

Hatredsheart

Post by Hatredsheart » Wed Jan 19, 2022 9:18 pm

Agreed, I'm struggling to think of a duff episode which is saying a lot out of six seasons.
Formerly Dr@gon-UK, but still the Forum Fossil

𝕯𝖔𝖓'𝖙 𝖋𝖊𝖆𝖗 𝕿𝖍𝖊 𝕽𝖊𝖆𝖕𝖊𝖗

Sly Boots
Bar Staff

Post by Sly Boots » Wed Jan 19, 2022 10:21 pm

Raid wrote:
Wed Jan 19, 2022 8:54 pm
The Expanse

This is, I'm pretty confident in saying, my favourite TV series of all time. The fact that it's now over honestly saddens me a bit, because I can't imagine another series that so perfectly matches my preferences will come along any time soon. I've never seen another science fiction show or film that I find the depiction of so believable. It ends extremely well, it doesn't outstay its welcome (even if I really wish the last season had been longer), and at no point did I feel the writing or production values decreased, like some other favourite sci-fi series I'd care to mention.

There isn't a bad actor in it, and despite it being a fairly long-running show, I don't think any of the characters ever really feels unrealistic in their actions or motivations. I can't think of a character with a better wardrobe in any visual media I've seen than Chrisjen Avasarala (she never looks anything less than incredible), and, not going to lie, I have a massive crush on Bobbie Draper, and not just because of the power armour. I mean the power armour's definitely part of it, but... err, yeah.

I genuinely can't sing its praises highly enough.
Weirdly (actually not so much, it's because of all the positive comments about it I've read here and elsewhere), but last night started season 1.

Actually, restarted would be a better description. Even re-restarted. My relationship with The Expanse is an odd one - I spent a while persuading the missus to give it a go, and then when we went to start it on Prime, unbeknownst to me, for some reason it started with the first episode of season 4. I won't say exactly how long it took us to work out something was awry - I thought it was a bit odd it jumped straight into what appeared to be the middle of storyline, but it's not unknown either so I went with it - but it was a while.

We gave it a week or so and then started again with S1E1, which made more sense, but it didn't really engage my wife, and as a result, having basically bounced off it twice, we left it at that.

However, watched S1E1 again last night and really enjoyed it, so going to continue with it, even if I don't think I can persuade my wife back to it.

Raid
Local

Post by Raid » Thu Jan 20, 2022 8:18 am

It's a real shame that you've seen the start of season 4, and what the first 3 seasons build up to - that mystery is what really drove my interest in the first few years. Don't get me wrong, how they get to that point is amazing (I rewatched the entire show prior to season 6, and despite knowing where things are heading it's still a hell of a ride), and there's still a ton of the cold-war stuff that's really engrossing. The depictions of space combat are worth watching the series for by themselves if you're into that sort of thing.