Good TV (aka, the TV series spamthread), the second series

Small Screen. Bigger Screen.
Wrathbone
Local

Re: Good TV (aka, the TV series spamthread), the second series

Post by Wrathbone » Wed Apr 07, 2021 2:58 pm

DVD quality though. :(

I will say that regardless of what you think of the Hobbit films, the 4k versions are visually stunning.

Raid
Local

Post by Raid » Wed Apr 07, 2021 4:13 pm

I actually thought there were parts of Jackson's Hobbit trilogy that looked worse than the much older and cheaper Lord of the Rings.

Maturin

Post by Maturin » Wed Apr 07, 2021 4:33 pm

You only had to see those images of PJ on set to see he was an utterly broken man. He was thrown in at the last moment as director for what was initially planned as a 2-film script, had to rewrite large parts of it on the fly to stretch to 3 films (why he agreed to that I have no idea), the production team had much less time to create and plan unlike with the LotR trilogy, plus had all been prepped for del Toro's requirements and production ideas, much of which were canned right before filming. Far too much was left to CGI, which ended up rushed due to time constraints. Plus an endless list of other issues on top of the above.

The lack of film-making craft is a tragedy. Think of all the effort that went into the on-location, live action, fully costumed battle of Amon Hen in Fellowship by comparison. It's cinema on an entirely different plane.

He must have known all along it was a dumpster fire. I just pretend they don't really exist and they never happened (while gently stroking my precious LotR box set).

Wrathbone
Local

Post by Wrathbone » Wed Apr 07, 2021 6:04 pm

Raid wrote:
Wed Apr 07, 2021 4:13 pm
I actually thought there were parts of Jackson's Hobbit trilogy that looked worse than the much older and cheaper Lord of the Rings.
Completely agree with that - the CGI orcs don’t hold a candle to the exceptional costumes in LOTR. But I challenge anyone to watch the Hobbit in 4K and not marvel at how damn pretty it is in general. LOTR also looks great in 4K but the transfer from film seems to have been more of a challenge than the Hobbit’s (which I think was digital). The improvement is less pronounced.

Achtung Englander

Post by Achtung Englander » Thu Apr 08, 2021 8:57 am

The Flight Attendant (Sky)

7/10

A bit of fun. Starts strongly but I felt it lost its way a little by the last 2 (of 8) episodes. I very much enjoyed watching the character Cassie trying to keep it together while fighting alcoholism and mental trauma. None of it felt heavy and it had a tongue in cheek vibe throughout. A decently paced comedy that never felt boring. It was also good to see Kaley Cuoco break out of the awful Big Bang Theory. I read that this was very much her vehicle as she bought the rights, good on her.
Games playing : Bioshock (Remastered) / Total War Britannia / Dirt 4

Raid
Local

Post by Raid » Tue Apr 13, 2021 7:30 pm

Raid wrote:
Thu Mar 18, 2021 8:56 pm
24, Season 2
Is Tony Almeida really a talented necromancer?
24: Seasons 3 & 4

Yes, he is!

It's all getting a bit silly now. All of the baddies have terrible plan nested in terrible plan nested in terrible plan. Hell, in season 4 the villain is the guy who played the Mummy in The Mummy for sheer hamming it up, and he may as well have been cackling maniacally through half of the season. It's fun, no doubt, but oh so preposterous. The CTU personnel drama steps up to actual treason, and not just once. Surprisingly, Jack Bauer has been killed just twice so far, but I expect CTU has lost enough nameless soldier-backup types to make Star Trek's red shirts nervous about being usurped.

What will happen in season 5 I wonder. I know the major event that happens in the first episode, but that doesn't mean I can't wildly speculate on the rest. Will Jack Bauer have secretly become a lumberjack in Canada? Will CTU hire a tech analyst that isn't somewhere on the autism spectrum? Will President Logan accidentally swallow his own shoes, leading to David Palmer being rapidly brought back in to perform the Heimlich manoeuvre? Will Mike Novic turn out to actually be Sherry Palmer in disguise? Will the president turn out to be this season's CTU mole in a shocking twist? Will Kim Bauer be threatened by the terrifying remains of Chase Edmunds' severed hand?

Wrathbone
Local

Post by Wrathbone » Wed Apr 14, 2021 6:01 am

I mean, some of those predictions are incorrect... :lol:

Season 5 is my favourite for the nothing-off-limits bananas plot.

Animalmother
Local

Post by Animalmother » Fri Apr 16, 2021 11:31 pm

Invincible
Awesome stuff :P

Achtung Englander

Post by Achtung Englander » Sat Apr 17, 2021 4:50 pm

yes I am on ep4 and so far I like the fact it takes the subject matter seriously and the implications of superheros

still....so far nothing has properly addressed all the insurance claims these heroes are generating :D

Raid
Local

Post by Raid » Sat Apr 17, 2021 5:15 pm

Well no, but then that was basically the premise of The Incredibles.

I've still not started on Invincible yet (I think I will after Falcon and Winter Soldier finishes next week); do we know how long the series is going to be?

Animalmother
Local

Post by Animalmother » Sat Apr 17, 2021 5:38 pm

Only 6 episodes out at the moment with 8 in total.

I loved how it started off as your standard animated show, then suddenly it isn't and shit goes turbo :lol:

Sly Boots
Bar Staff

Post by Sly Boots » Sat Apr 17, 2021 6:25 pm

I'm definitely going to watch it (I watched half the first one - only stopped due to kids entering the room and refusing to leave :lol: ), but at the moment I'm working my way through Gotham and Z Nation.

Achtung Englander

Post by Achtung Englander » Sat Apr 17, 2021 10:43 pm

Ted Lasso

This definitely gets better as the series progresses. I found it more amusing than funny and I did enjoy the pathos. I am also watching season 1 of Everyone Hates Chris and I am finding that comedy much more funny as unlike Ted Lasso I genuinly laugh out loud with every episode.
7/10

Achtung Englander

Post by Achtung Englander » Sat Apr 17, 2021 10:45 pm

Wrathbone wrote:
Wed Apr 14, 2021 6:01 am
I mean, some of those predictions are incorrect... :lol:

Season 5 is my favourite for the nothing-off-limits bananas plot.
I have seen them all and I cannot remember any of the seasons bar the first one. :?

Can't think of one

Post by Can't think of one » Sun Apr 18, 2021 6:30 pm

It's been ages since I watched 24 but one of the things I did like about it was that there was a secret service agent whose name I can't remember was more or less an extra in the first season but over the course of the series his role got bigger and bigger, He was a cool little side character

EDIT Also this discussion of 24 just reminded me of 24: Legacy...I watched it when it was transmitted but I can't remember a single thing about it! A 24 series without Jack Bauer!?! WTF was they were thinking???