Good TV (aka, the TV series spamthread), the second series

Small Screen. Bigger Screen.
Achtung Englander

Re: Good TV (aka, the TV series spamthread), the second series

Post by Achtung Englander » Tue Dec 31, 2019 9:32 am

The Crown season 3

I know its all bollocks but the production values and acting and plot-lines are all great. The editing, music and cinematography are very good.

8/10
Games playing : Bioshock (Remastered) / Total War Britannia / Dirt 4

Hatredsheart

Post by Hatredsheart » Tue Dec 31, 2019 12:00 pm

Achtung Englander wrote:
Tue Dec 31, 2019 9:32 am
The Crown season 3

I know its all bollocks but the production values and acting and plot-lines are all great. The editing, music and cinematography are very good.

8/10
Nearly at the last episode and agree.
Apart from the Aberfan episode I don't think this season is a patch on the previous one though.
Hopefully it'll pick up again when it gets to the Thatcher and Diana eras.
Formerly Dr@gon-UK, but still the Forum Fossil

𝕯𝖔𝖓'𝖙 𝖋𝖊𝖆𝖗 𝕿𝖍𝖊 𝕽𝖊𝖆𝖕𝖊𝖗

Animalmother
Local

Post by Animalmother » Tue Dec 31, 2019 1:38 pm

Clarence
A silly kids cartoon currently on Netflix. It's strangely endearing and fun with the odd bit of humour only adults might get. At only 10 minutes an episode it's an easy watch.

Sly Boots
Bar Staff

Post by Sly Boots » Wed Jan 01, 2020 11:58 am

eny wrote:
Mon Dec 30, 2019 9:13 pm
Don't f@@k with cats

Latest Netflix crime docuseries....pretty gripping from the get go....
Just watched this... in fact, we were unable to tear ourselves away, watching all three hours of it in one sitting and not getting to bed until 2am.

Gripping, astonishing, shocking viewing.

eny

Post by eny » Wed Jan 01, 2020 4:06 pm

We were exactly the same mate.
Everything on the internet is 100% true.

– Abraham Lincoln
˙ƃuıʇıɹʍ ʎuıʇ ʎllɐǝɹ uʍop ǝpısdn

Raid
Local

Post by Raid » Wed Jan 01, 2020 11:44 pm

I too watched Don't F**k With Cats in one sitting, but there's something that just doesn't sit well with me when it comes to documentaries like this. They just feel so artificial, with a narrative constructed to the point that it almost feels like I'm watching fiction. It's compelling, sure, but I can't bring myself to believe the sequence of events. Perhaps the part of my brain that loves order overrides the part that loves a good story.

And then there's the genuinely problematic part of these documentaries, that this one at least pays lip service to:
Spoiler
By the end of the first episode, we understand that Magnotta, like many serial killers (although unless you count the cats, he doesn't feature on such a list), desperately wants the notoriety. Our society is just so eager to bend to this will for the purposes of entertainment, and this reaction may in turn inspire others. It's increasingly common for politicians to decry the media response to murderers (the PM of New Zealand did so last year if I remember rightly), to not give them the satisfaction of international news coverage. That this documentary uses its last few moments to speak directly at the viewer and ask us whether we're part of the problem, while still publishing and profiting from it, leaves a bad taste in my mouth. I appreciate this makes me somewhat hypocritical given I watched the whole thing too.

Rusty

Post by Rusty » Thu Jan 02, 2020 8:36 am

Started watching this under the illusion that it was a mockumentary. I quite enjoyed it. Then I googled a bit and found it was real. Nope. So badly put together. I honestly thought the interviewees were actors they were so over the top.
Plus it made me watched actual cats being harmed and/or bodily harm to humans. Not good.
-- To be completed at some point --

Sly Boots
Bar Staff

Post by Sly Boots » Thu Jan 02, 2020 8:59 am

Raid wrote:
Wed Jan 01, 2020 11:44 pm

And then there's the genuinely problematic part of these documentaries, that this one at least pays lip service to:
Spoiler
By the end of the first episode, we understand that Magnotta, like many serial killers (although unless you count the cats, he doesn't feature on such a list), desperately wants the notoriety. Our society is just so eager to bend to this will for the purposes of entertainment, and this reaction may in turn inspire others. It's increasingly common for politicians to decry the media response to murderers (the PM of New Zealand did so last year if I remember rightly), to not give them the satisfaction of international news coverage. That this documentary uses its last few moments to speak directly at the viewer and ask us whether we're part of the problem, while still publishing and profiting from it, leaves a bad taste in my mouth. I appreciate this makes me somewhat hypocritical given I watched the whole thing too.
Going to take a slightly different view on this one:
Spoiler
I think that if it's in you to murder, cut up and post parts of a human being to government buildings and primary schools (this wasn't included in the documentary), then that is going to be expressed at some point in your life regardless. He obviously enjoyed the social media attention, but he himself instigated that by murdering two animals. For the sake of argument let's say that first video gained no attention. I have zero doubts he would have done it again and again - escalating because that's what serial killers do - until he did gain the desired notoreity. At what point does it stop being about the attention and about the carrying out the acts because you want to/are compelled to do so.

Again, it wasn't covered in the documentary, but we did some research on him after. He was diagnosed with paranoid schizophrenia as a teenager and had already been in trouble with the law before the first video. His father and brother had also been diagnosed as schizophrenic and during his trial Luka was diagnosed with many more serious psychological conditions. He wasn't just some average guy who'd failed at acting and modelling and just wanted to be known, he was a seriously disturbed individual and it's hard to see how that wouldn't have come out eventually even in a hypothetical world where social media didn't exist. His mental health, early life and first video is an almost textbook serial killer origin story.

He was also literally only caught because of the media coverage of his crimes.
The media coverage of such cases is unsavoury and does glamourise such acts, but I think if you're capable of such things then while it might act as a trigger, if it didn't exist there would still be something else to motivate/compel you.

Serial killers predate social media, broadcast media and in some cases perpetrated their crimes before print media and the authorities even cottoned on to what was happening.

Snowy
Local

Post by Snowy » Fri Jan 03, 2020 9:32 am

Rusty wrote:
Thu Jan 02, 2020 8:36 am
Plus it made me watched actual cats being harmed
Thanks for that, it just came off my list. Animal cruelty sends me into a rage, I even struggle with the horror film trope of the barking dog turning to a yelp/whine. I couldn't watch this.
RCHD wrote:Snowy is my favourite. He's a metal God.
08/10/2003 - 17/08/2018
10501 :-({|=

Raid
Local

Post by Raid » Fri Jan 03, 2020 12:02 pm

To be clear, you don't see the actual acts, but you do see the starts of the videos in question, and you can hear some of the audio for bits they don't show you. It was more than enough to get their point across (bordering on tasteless in my mind), and my own cats got a hug after I watched it.

Sly Boots
Bar Staff

Post by Sly Boots » Fri Jan 03, 2020 12:09 pm

Raid wrote:
Fri Jan 03, 2020 12:02 pm
To be clear, you don't see the actual acts, but you do see the starts of the videos in question, and you can hear some of the audio for bits they don't show you. It was more than enough to get their point across (bordering on tasteless in my mind), and my own cats got a hug after I watched it.
You're right, but bearing in mind what Snowy said above about even the sounds affecting him it's probably best he swerves it. My wife couldn't watch or listen to the bits in question.

Raid
Local

Post by Raid » Fri Jan 03, 2020 12:22 pm

Oh yeah, I absolutely wasn't trying to persuade Snowy to watch it, I just wouldn't want anyone to think we were masochists having watched something with visible animal deaths.

Sly Boots
Bar Staff

Post by Sly Boots » Fri Jan 03, 2020 2:26 pm

Raid wrote:
Fri Jan 03, 2020 12:22 pm
Oh yeah, I absolutely wasn't trying to persuade Snowy to watch it, I just wouldn't want anyone to think we were masochists having watched something with visible animal deaths.
Sure, that's fair :)

Animalmother
Local

Post by Animalmother » Fri Jan 03, 2020 5:38 pm

Inside No 9

The Christmas episode, fuck me that was dark :?

Sly Boots
Bar Staff

Post by Sly Boots » Fri Jan 03, 2020 5:49 pm

Animalmother wrote:
Fri Jan 03, 2020 5:38 pm
Inside No 9

The Christmas episode, fuck me that was dark :?
What, a new one? Or the one from a few years ago?

If it's the old one, that was one of my favourite episodes. Just sat back speechless after it finished.