Good TV (aka, the TV series spamthread), the second series

Small Screen. Bigger Screen.
Sly Boots
Bar Staff

Re: Good TV (aka, the TV series spamthread), the second series

Post by Sly Boots » Sat Aug 18, 2018 10:43 pm

Stormbringer wrote:
Sat Aug 18, 2018 10:36 pm
I started watching Upstart Crow tonight; a comedy starring David Mitchell as William Shakespeare. My wife is a big Shakespeare fan and I am a David Mitchell fan, so this worked well for both of us. We found ourselves crying with laughter throughout, so I think we'll definitely be going back for more.
Yeah, it's pretty decent. There's a few series of it out as well, I think, so a fair bit to keep you going.

Gibby

Post by Gibby » Sat Aug 18, 2018 11:33 pm

I too am a David Mitchell fan, so I'll give this a watch!

Rossell

Post by Rossell » Tue Aug 21, 2018 8:38 pm

Been watching Van Helsing on netflix. Mostly turn your brain off and enjoy and it feels a bit ropey first couple of episodes but then it gets properly enjoyable. Bit like TWD in that nobody is safe and there is general peril. Recommended so far.

Tichinde

Post by Tichinde » Thu Aug 23, 2018 11:02 am

Snowy wrote:
Sun Aug 12, 2018 9:08 am
Yeah I got part way through S1 and drifted away. I was amazed when a mate at work told me they are into their 5th season.
Dear god season 5 is bad.
Bad writing, bad dialogue, nonsense situations out of the blue....

On the plus side, I will make a start on new Archer soon. Have timed my re-watch fairly well as I started Dreamland again last night and spotted the new episode banner on Netflix :D
"Religion, shit it" - Stephen Fry

Sly Boots
Bar Staff

Post by Sly Boots » Thu Aug 23, 2018 11:28 am

Tichinde wrote:
Thu Aug 23, 2018 11:02 am
Snowy wrote:
Sun Aug 12, 2018 9:08 am
Yeah I got part way through S1 and drifted away. I was amazed when a mate at work told me they are into their 5th season.
Dear god season 5 is bad.
Bad writing, bad dialogue, nonsense situations out of the blue....

On the plus side, I will make a start on new Archer soon. Have timed my re-watch fairly well as I started Dreamland again last night and spotted the new episode banner on Netflix :D
I didn't really care for Dreamland tbh. It was... ok. The first few series still the best.

Tichinde

Post by Tichinde » Thu Aug 23, 2018 12:25 pm

I do like the shift to a coherent story over the series that started with Vice, rather than a string of mostly unrelated tales.
Gives it a less sit-com vibe, if you see what i mean.
I agree that earlier series have more moments and Dreamland isn't up there in the Archer hierarchy mind.

Animalmother
Local

Post by Animalmother » Fri Aug 31, 2018 12:07 pm

Watched first episode of new season of Archer, it's pretty bad unfortunately. It seems to he based on a very short lived 80's show Tales of the Golden Monkey (I think that's what it was called...). It's just not funny anymore :(

Sly Boots
Bar Staff

Post by Sly Boots » Fri Aug 31, 2018 12:47 pm

Animalmother wrote:
Fri Aug 31, 2018 12:07 pm
Watched first episode of new season of Archer, it's pretty bad unfortunately. It seems to he based on a very short lived 80's show Tales of the Golden Monkey (I think that's what it was called...). It's just not funny anymore :(
Agreed, unfortunately. Watched the first one and unlikely to watch any more (of this series at least). Time for real Archer to wake up :(

Tichinde

Post by Tichinde » Fri Aug 31, 2018 1:12 pm

Yeah, got through 3 episodes, had hoped my low opinion was due to me working at the time, but my friend messaged me earlier today and said he's finished it and it's guff :(

Raid
Local

Post by Raid » Fri Aug 31, 2018 1:53 pm

I don't think Archer needed to go to a story arc format, it was working perfectly well as a sitcom. By all means move the setting around a bit, but the show's structure was fine. I think I watched the first episode of the Dreamland arc and just didn't go back for the second. I can't say I was keen on the whole coma fantasy (or whatever Dreamland is) thing either.

Gibby

Post by Gibby » Fri Aug 31, 2018 2:50 pm

The ending implies that the next season is yet another Dreamland setting as well. Bleh. The last few seasons have been disappointing.

Raid
Local

Post by Raid » Fri Aug 31, 2018 6:05 pm

Raid wrote:
Fri Aug 31, 2018 1:53 pm
I don't think Archer needed to go to a story arc format, it was working perfectly well as a sitcom. By all means move the setting around a bit, but the show's structure was fine. I think I watched the first episode of the Dreamland arc and just didn't go back for the second. I can't say I was keen on the whole coma fantasy (or whatever Dreamland is) thing either.
Soooo inspired by this thread I just watched season 8 from start to finish. It's still not as good as the first few, but it was still pretty good.

Sly Boots
Bar Staff

Post by Sly Boots » Fri Aug 31, 2018 6:17 pm

Raid wrote:
Fri Aug 31, 2018 6:05 pm
Raid wrote:
Fri Aug 31, 2018 1:53 pm
Soooo inspired by this thread I just watched season 8 from start to finish. It's still not as good as the first few, but it was still pretty good.
Which one was series 8? The Dreamland one?

It wasn't bad, just not as good as the rest (imo), though I think the latest one (judging by the one episode I've seen) is probably the weakest to date.

Raid
Local

Post by Raid » Fri Aug 31, 2018 6:32 pm

Yeah, 8 was Dreamland. In fairness it did take a few episodes to get going too, as suggested by the fact that it's taken me a year to go back to it after the poor opener.

DjchunKfunK
Bar Staff

Post by DjchunKfunK » Fri Aug 31, 2018 7:45 pm

The latest series of Archer is bad. There is just nothing funny about it and having to resort to Nazi's as the butt of jokes shows a lack of creativity. I didn't mind Dreamland, but much like most shows I think Archer peaked a few series back and has been going downhill ever since. After what I have seen so far of this series I would say the show is heading into a ditch.