Good TV (aka, the TV series spamthread), the second series

Small Screen. Bigger Screen.
Snowy
Local

Re: Good TV (aka, the TV series spamthread), the second series

Post by Snowy » Sun Jan 07, 2024 2:12 pm

The Bear

Watched and enjoyed the first season without quite catching the hype that it garnered in the press. Started on the second season and they have properly enjoyed it so far (am about half way through). Fantastic story about a hugely dysfunctional family in Chicago with one wunderkind chef who comes back to try and save the family beef sandwich shop. Superb cast, incredibly believable acting throughout. The Xmas day 'celebration' flashback episode was amazing, although the sheer level of intensity of the whole family arguing for an hour was draining.
RCHD wrote:Snowy is my favourite. He's a metal God.
08/10/2003 - 17/08/2018
10501 :-({|=

Drarok

Post by Drarok » Mon Jan 08, 2024 9:42 am

Animalmother wrote:
Sat Jan 06, 2024 12:49 pm
Pretty sure it was you that recommended it to us a few years back.
Years?! But that would mean… oh, no.
Raid wrote:
Thu Jan 28, 2021 2:24 pm
And that's the story of why I'm not allowed near pregnant women for the next few weeks.

Raid
Local

Post by Raid » Mon Jan 08, 2024 9:47 am

Snowy wrote:
Sun Jan 07, 2024 2:12 pm
The Bear
I tried the first episode last night, and the stress and tension made for fairly unpleasant watching, which to its credit was presumably what they were going for and quite masterfully done. The shot-reverse-shot with the clearly meaningful chefs knife on the floor was remarkably hard-hitting for such a simple premise. Is it like that for the whole series?

Sly Boots
Bar Staff

Post by Sly Boots » Mon Jan 08, 2024 11:06 am

Raid wrote:
Mon Jan 08, 2024 9:47 am
Snowy wrote:
The Bear
I tried the first episode last night, and the stress and tension made for fairly unpleasant watching, which to its credit was presumably what they were going for and quite masterfully done. The shot-reverse-shot with the clearly meaningful chefs knife on the floor was remarkably hard-hitting for such a simple premise. Is it like that for the whole series?
It's compelling viewing, but relentlessly stressful, yes.

Animalmother
Local

Post by Animalmother » Mon Jan 08, 2024 7:15 pm

The Continental
I was initially a bit dubious about this, a prequel spin off of John Wick... probably shite. It's awesome!! Set in 70's New York with great period appropriate music throughout. It mainly follows a young Winston (Ian McShane character from the films) but there are several other branching characters and plots going on. It has all the gun fights and chaos but at a slower pace. I've watched the first 2 (of 3) episodes and each is almost feature length. I believe the last episode is fucking nuts so I'm looking forward to that!

With the 3 episodes your basically getting a new John Wick film minus the main character.

Snowy
Local

Post by Snowy » Mon Jan 08, 2024 7:22 pm

Raid wrote:
Mon Jan 08, 2024 9:47 am
Snowy wrote:
The Bear
It does not make for easy viewing, although there is a fair amount of comedy too. Funnily enough for me it is the second season where the show really gets going, they allow the characters room to develop, give more of the back-story and there are some genuinely lovely moments in it, with one redemption arc in particular that is just superb.
08/10/2003 - 17/08/2018

Hatredsheart

Post by Hatredsheart » Mon Jan 08, 2024 9:17 pm

Sly Boots wrote:
Mon Jan 08, 2024 11:06 am
It's compelling viewing, but relentlessly stressful, yes.
For something in the same setting that fits that description well I'd recommend Boiling Point with Stephen Graham.
Formerly Dr@gon-UK, but still the Forum Fossil

𝕯𝖔𝖓'𝖙 𝖋𝖊𝖆𝖗 𝕿𝖍𝖊 𝕽𝖊𝖆𝖕𝖊𝖗

Animalmother
Local

Post by Animalmother » Thu Jan 18, 2024 5:29 pm

Cyberpunk: Edgerunners
Seeing as I'm loving the game so much thought I'd give this a look, enjoying it so far. Story follows a teenager who gets his hands on some dodge cybernetics and shit goes turbo (literally). It's full of locations from the game so it all feels familiar. It captures the random violence that occurs in the city excellently, body parts and gore are often flying through the air. I believe that's there's Easter eggs in the game from the show so that's a nice touch.

True Detective S4
To my utter shame I've never finished the first season despite really enjoying it. I'll get around to it shortly.

Season 4 takes place in Alaska just as winter starts and the sun disappears for weeks. A group of scientists at a research station all vanish just as a bunch of other weird shit is going on. And shit is weird, supernatural in places. The local sheriff and a state trooper start investigating and more weird shit turns up. I'm not sure if it's a thinly disguised horror or if it'll all be explained.

No Alexandra Daddario though... :(

Alan

Post by Alan » Thu Feb 08, 2024 12:41 pm

The Brothers Sun
Michelle Yeoh is the wife of a triad boss who goes into hiding in America with her younger son. After an assassination attempt the elder son joins her in America to protect them. The elder brother is a badass, the younger predictably not. Some of the more comedic elements (especially the stoner friend) fell a bit flat for me but everything else is a great ride. The action is brutal and well choreographed. I'm sure I read Netflix were going with a second season but now I find no mention of it but hopefully!
A man who could tell more truth and eat fewer pies.

Animalmother
Local

Post by Animalmother » Sat Feb 10, 2024 4:35 pm

Masters of the Air
The follow up to Band of Brothers and the Pacific, this time about B17 bomber crews. This should have been made 10 years ago when the magic was still there. It could have been amazing rather than just perfectly fine. While the previous 2 shows where 90% up close and personal brutal combat MotM spends most of its time farting about an airbase because that's how it was. The bomber scenes are great but very brief. Once they have their oxygen masks on everyone looks the exact same, which is realistic and I appreciate that. While nowhere near The Pacific levels, it can get gruesome with bullets ripping through the cockpit.

I've watched the first 2 of the 4 episodes released so far, reviews seem to be pretty mixed. Hoping it picks up as the series progresses. It's a bit cliched, as if Memphis Belle had been turned into a tv show. Could save itself once it gets moving.

Animalmother
Local

Post by Animalmother » Mon Mar 04, 2024 11:53 am

Shogun
A remake of the 80's show based on a book. This one seemed to have arrived with little fanfare which is odd as it's very good.

Set in 1600's Japan, an English sailor is shipwrecked and taken prisoner. There's a civil war a brewing and he's getting dragged in. Two episodes in so far, it's a slow burn but very enjoyable. The main actor looks like a knock off Tom Hardy with a penchant for calling everyone a bastard but he's very good. Great watch if you can find it. It's Hulu so probably end up on Disney Plus (assuming you haven't already cancelled it).

Watched some more Masters of the Air and I'm still not feeling it. Just feels a bit lacking and the effects are good but should have been much better.

Sly Boots
Bar Staff

Post by Sly Boots » Mon Mar 04, 2024 12:05 pm

Yeah, I really liked the James Clavell novel and liked the 80s version, so looking forward to watching Shogun... I'm just waiting for a few more to be released as I hate having to wait a week between episodes!

Hatredsheart

Post by Hatredsheart » Thu Mar 07, 2024 9:15 pm

Animalmother wrote:
Mon Mar 04, 2024 11:53 am
Shogun
A remake of the 80's show based on a book. This one seemed to have arrived with little fanfare which is odd as it's very good.

Set in 1600's Japan, an English sailor is shipwrecked and taken prisoner. There's a civil war a brewing and he's getting dragged in. Two episodes in so far, it's a slow burn but very enjoyable. The main actor looks like a knock off Tom Hardy with a penchant for calling everyone a bastard but he's very good. Great watch if you can find it. It's Hulu so probably end up on Disney Plus (assuming you haven't already cancelled it).

Watched some more Masters of the Air and I'm still not feeling it. Just feels a bit lacking and the effects are good but should have been much better.
Thoroughly enjoying Shogun too. I agree with your comments on Masters of The Air, this was touted as being on a par with Band of Brothers and The Pacific but so far it ain't. The planes are too obviously cgi and I've not really engaged with the characters. Shame.
Formerly Dr@gon-UK, but still the Forum Fossil

𝕯𝖔𝖓'𝖙 𝖋𝖊𝖆𝖗 𝕿𝖍𝖊 𝕽𝖊𝖆𝖕𝖊𝖗

Snowy
Local

Post by Snowy » Mon Mar 25, 2024 7:53 pm

Hatredsheart wrote:
Thu Mar 07, 2024 9:15 pm
Animalmother wrote:
Mon Mar 04, 2024 11:53 am
Shogun

Thoroughly enjoying Shogun too. I agree with your comments on Masters of The Air, this was touted as being on a par with Band of Brothers and The Pacific but so far it ain't. The planes are too obviously cgi and I've not really engaged with the characters. Shame.
Another vote for Shogun and also not been hugely taken with Masters of the Air. The latter is suitably harrowing but found I drifted away after 3 or 4 episodes. The former is bloody great, so much more visceral than the 80's televised version.
08/10/2003 - 17/08/2018

Animalmother
Local

Post by Animalmother » Tue Mar 26, 2024 2:01 pm

Latest episode of Shogun was great. I love how he swings from thinking he has a grasp on the culture to getting blindsided by some seemingly little thing.

MotA was a slow drag for the first few episodes but it definitely gets better later. The fate of some of the bailed out aircrew was horrifying as is seeing entire flights of bombers just disintegrate. Haven't watched it in a bit but will catch up on the last few episodes.