Good TV (aka, the TV series spamthread), the second series

Small Screen. Bigger Screen.
Wrathbone
Local

Re: Good TV (aka, the TV series spamthread), the second series

Post by Wrathbone » Thu Jan 09, 2020 9:14 am

Exactly. I've had a licence ever since leaving home at 18, but I still got threatening letters for a while. At least two friends did the opt-out thing but still got letters and even people hammering on the door and shouting through the letterbox that they knew they were watching TV illegally (they weren't). TV licencing enforcers are utter Edwins.

Mantis
Landlord

Post by Mantis » Thu Jan 09, 2020 11:20 am

I've not had a licence since 2014 and just have to go online once a year to tick a box as to why I don't need one.

For the first year or so I received letters with big imposing red boxes at the top saying I was liable for prosecution if they caught me watching TV, but that was all. I never had anyone visit me or anything like that.

I don't think they really have the funds to enforce it nowadays anyway, and they have no legal power to enter your premises either so you can just tell them to sod off if they turn up on your doorstep.

Animalmother
Local

Post by Animalmother » Thu Jan 09, 2020 2:02 pm

Isn't it if you have any device that has the possibility to watch TV programs you need a licence now? That includes PC's, tablets etc.

Alan

Post by Alan » Thu Jan 09, 2020 2:27 pm

Nope, you just have to tell them you don’t watch it and don’t have an antenna hooked to your tv.
A man who could tell more truth and eat fewer pies.

Mantis
Landlord

Post by Mantis » Thu Jan 09, 2020 3:11 pm

When you opt out online you get the option to say you only use your TV for games consoles and streaming.

You only actually need one if you watch live television or use iPlayer for catch up.

Achtung Englander

Post by Achtung Englander » Thu Jan 16, 2020 2:55 pm

Don't f@@k with cats

After reading the comments here I decided to give it a go. Like a page turner each episodes ends in a gripping way. We did it in 2 sittings and I did find the documentary to be compelling but as the complaints here put it - it is told mostly from the perspective of the internet vigilantes. I did have burning question
Spoiler
The identity of the killer came through via a message "out of the blue" - did I miss something but who sent the message, was it him ?
The fact the documentary skipped his mental health background is a major limitation but I suppose that was not the focus of the documentary. The ending about us being complicit to the killer's desire to be infamous is just dumb - don't make the fucking documentary. So stupid - I mean don't make a documentary that we pay for and than argue that we should not watch it.

:roll:

The music and editing is brilliant, you have to give credit where its due.
Games playing : Bioshock (Remastered) / Total War Britannia / Dirt 4

Achtung Englander

Post by Achtung Englander » Sat Jan 18, 2020 9:25 pm

Medici season 1 (Netflix)

After returning from a holiday in Florence I feel in love with the place and I am digging into its history and heritage like reading books on the renaissance and decided to check out this program.

Wow - its ropey. The acting is just so-so. I came to the conclusion that Richard Madden (he of GOT / The Bodyguard fame) is over-rated as an actor. He has like 3 expressions, all bland. The story is a televised bastardization of Florence under Cosimo de' Medici. Half is correct and the other half made up bullshit. The sets look pretty decent. The best bit of the whole production is the music, which is excellent.

It is just so ropey. Its like watching bad TV but not so bad that it is unwatchable but you know its not great either. Never mind. Not sure if I want to see season 2 but I probably will.

6/10

Snowy
Local

Post by Snowy » Sun Jan 19, 2020 11:55 am

6/10 is very generous mate.

Have you watched The Borgias (the Jeremy Irons series, not the awful version with an American cast)? That will give you a nice fix of medieval Italian nastiness, really well done, I was gutted the pulled the plug and had to suddenly end the story-arc - the necessity to close it meant it was clumsy, but everything to that point was great.
RCHD wrote:Snowy is my favourite. He's a metal God.
08/10/2003 - 17/08/2018
10501 :-({|=

Snowy
Local

Post by Snowy » Sun Jan 19, 2020 11:56 am

Sly Boots wrote:
Thu Dec 05, 2019 2:15 pm
Snowy wrote:
Thu Dec 05, 2019 1:11 pm
Sly Boots wrote:
Tue Dec 03, 2019 1:42 pm

Um... ok. :?
Purely because it is a period of history that interests me and that hasn't really been well covered by any TV show. It could well be really funny but I would still be sat wanting it to cover subject matter that it isn't going to.

If that makes sense.
I think you might be pleasantly surprised on that score. There are clearly elements of Viking culture and practices they include while still poking fun at it, it's a Norwegian production (they filmed two versions of every episode, one in their own language and one in English) and they know their subject matter, and the costumes, sets and locations etc all ring true. It may not be 100% historically accurate, but I say it's in the same spirit as Blackadder in that you can learn about periods of English history from it even though it's primarily comedic.
Right, apologies for being a dick and not giving this a chance. Almost at the end of S2 and one of the most enjoyable comedy series I have watched - 100% recommend this.
RCHD wrote:Snowy is my favourite. He's a metal God.
08/10/2003 - 17/08/2018
10501 :-({|=

Sly Boots
Bar Staff

Post by Sly Boots » Sun Jan 19, 2020 12:23 pm

Snowy wrote:
Sun Jan 19, 2020 11:56 am
Sly Boots wrote:
Thu Dec 05, 2019 2:15 pm
Snowy wrote:
Thu Dec 05, 2019 1:11 pm

Purely because it is a period of history that interests me and that hasn't really been well covered by any TV show. It could well be really funny but I would still be sat wanting it to cover subject matter that it isn't going to.

If that makes sense.
I think you might be pleasantly surprised on that score. There are clearly elements of Viking culture and practices they include while still poking fun at it, it's a Norwegian production (they filmed two versions of every episode, one in their own language and one in English) and they know their subject matter, and the costumes, sets and locations etc all ring true. It may not be 100% historically accurate, but I say it's in the same spirit as Blackadder in that you can learn about periods of English history from it even though it's primarily comedic.
Right, apologies for being a dick and not giving this a chance. Almost at the end of S2 and one of the most enjoyable comedy series I have watched - 100% recommend this.
:D

\:D/

Animalmother
Local

Post by Animalmother » Sun Jan 19, 2020 7:38 pm

Fargo Season 4 :P

Hatredsheart

Post by Hatredsheart » Sun Jan 19, 2020 8:24 pm

Yay, can't wait! :D
Formerly Dr@gon-UK, but still the Forum Fossil

𝕯𝖔𝖓'𝖙 𝖋𝖊𝖆𝖗 𝕿𝖍𝖊 𝕽𝖊𝖆𝖕𝖊𝖗

Hatredsheart

Post by Hatredsheart » Mon Jan 20, 2020 2:30 pm

Better Call Saul:

– s5 returns on Feb 24
– it will see the return of BB favourites Hank Schrader and Steve Gomez
– s6 will go into production later this year, and it will be the final season
Formerly Dr@gon-UK, but still the Forum Fossil

𝕯𝖔𝖓'𝖙 𝖋𝖊𝖆𝖗 𝕿𝖍𝖊 𝕽𝖊𝖆𝖕𝖊𝖗

Sly Boots
Bar Staff

Post by Sly Boots » Mon Jan 20, 2020 2:44 pm

\:D/

A new season of Always Sunny in Philadelphia just landed on Netflix as well :D

Achtung Englander

Post by Achtung Englander » Fri Jan 24, 2020 3:19 pm

The Mind Of Aaron Hernandez (Netflix)

Coming off Don't Fuck with Cats this is another 3 part documentary about a killer except the angel is on what drove a multi-millionaire athlete at the top of his career to kill. Not as compelling as Cats but it is interesting especially when you discover its a multiple homicide. The conclusions are a bit dubious and there are many reasons that could of led him to kill but the fact the documentary does not even address the availability of guns is a crime in itself.

7/10