Favourite Films

Small Screen. Bigger Screen.
Abs_McBain

Re: Favourite Films

Post by Abs_McBain » Fri Aug 17, 2018 7:16 pm

I used to have most of the films listed above but over time I got a tad bit picky and thinned out my collection.
Some of the remaining faves include Project A, starring Jackie Chan as a sailor in 1800's Hong Kong fighting the Mafia and Pirates with the help of the local Police detectives. It had an English dub so good that they kept it in the DVD release. As with Jackie's stuff it has crazy good fight scenes and stunts.
Inception is another, I do love them dream concepts. Another two films from the East, Seven Samurai and a little know film called After Life. That last film was a bit of an...err...eye opener? I found the concept interesting and its pretty much ingrained in my mind now.

Alan

Post by Alan » Sat Aug 18, 2018 8:43 am

My absolute favourite has always been Lost Highway since I first watched it. It's such a well crafted, atmospheric, disconcerting, well shot mindfuck and I love it to bits. Ive watched it so many times and I think each time I see something new in it or it makes me think a slightly different way about what happened. In my mind it's almost a living entitiy and not a static movie thats always the same and yes I know how sickeningly pretentious that sounds!

It's not perfect, of course. A few of the effects are real bad - especially on the HD transfer which shows he cracks that VHS covered up beautifully. Some of the music selections even when I first watched it I felt was kind of bad, mainly Rammstein. I mean was it cool when he pistolwhips thats guy to the beat of Rammstein by Rammstein? Yes, yes it was. Did it feel dated and not in fitting with the rest of the movie? Yup.

The things it gets right it gets so right. The Mystery Man at the party with the phone might be my favourite movie scene ever. Who cares if Robert Blake killed his wife (a hell of a story in its own right!) he is fantastic in this and perfectly cast. "We've met before...."
A man who could tell more truth and eat fewer pies.

Rusty

Post by Rusty » Sat Aug 18, 2018 9:51 am

Pulp Fiction, I still love the way the timeline flits about and the characters are brilliant.

Memento: Another weird timeline one. The way the film manages to capture the feeling of not having any short term memory(and thus stepping into the main character's shoes) is my absolute favourite thing.

Blues Brothers

Die Hard
-- To be completed at some point --

Sly Boots
Bar Staff

Post by Sly Boots » Sat Aug 18, 2018 7:47 pm

Rusty wrote:
Sat Aug 18, 2018 9:51 am
Pulp Fiction, I still love the way the timeline flits about and the characters are brilliant.

Memento: Another weird timeline one. The way the film manages to capture the feeling of not having any short term memory(and thus stepping into the main character's shoes) is my absolute favourite thing.

Blues Brothers

Die Hard
:lol: Literally just came in to suggest Blues Brothers. Everything about it is perfect.

I'm not very good at constructing lists for something like this as my brain is a bit scattergun, but I'll probably pop in every so often and shout one I've just remembered and disappear again until the next time.

The Thing.

The Jackal

Post by The Jackal » Sat Aug 18, 2018 7:51 pm

It's still The Dam Busters.
Mighty Horse Rocks The Fat Ass.

Animalmother
Local

Post by Animalmother » Sat Aug 18, 2018 8:36 pm

The Thing

John Carpenter at the tippy top of his talent. The arse clenching paranoia, end of the world location, stunning effects and fantastic dialogue make it an amazing film to watch again and again. I'd love to see it again for the first time just to relive how awesome it is.

Rusty

Post by Rusty » Sat Aug 18, 2018 9:39 pm

Ooh, the Thing. Good shout.

I forgot about Jaws. The actors in that just act their socks off.
-- To be completed at some point --

Jez

Post by Jez » Sat Aug 18, 2018 11:34 pm

Agreed Rusty. Love that movie
19-10-2003
12072 :-({|=

Snowy
Local

Post by Snowy » Sun Aug 19, 2018 2:06 pm

Ooh some films here I haven't watched. Will go about rectifying that.
RCHD wrote:Snowy is my favourite. He's a metal God.
08/10/2003 - 17/08/2018
10501 :-({|=

Sly Boots
Bar Staff

Post by Sly Boots » Sun Aug 19, 2018 8:53 pm

Couple of oldies I keep coming back to - Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid and Cary Grant's Mr Blandings Builds His Dream House.

The Tom Hanks film the Money Pit was a remake of the latter, and while it's quite amusing it can't hold a candle to the original imo.

Also like a lot of the old Ealing comedies, Kind Hearts and Coronets probably the best. Alec Guinness playing seven or eight different roles is brilliant.

Other random ones - the first Ghostbusters, Trading Places, Full Metal Jacket.

Jez

Post by Jez » Sun Aug 19, 2018 10:55 pm

Rewatched Platoon the other day

What a great movie that seems to capture the whole essence of Vietnam war really well.
19-10-2003
12072 :-({|=

Maturin

Post by Maturin » Mon Aug 20, 2018 8:22 am

It's a good film, but whenever I hear about Platoon, all I can think of is Lt. Drebin walking out of the cinema laughing his arse off in Naked Gun...

Drarok

Post by Drarok » Mon Aug 20, 2018 10:29 am

Die Hard is an amazing film, no doubt. It's a regular Xmas tradition in our house.

That said, I've got a huge soft spot for The Crow. Halloween classic?
Raid wrote:
Thu Jan 28, 2021 2:24 pm
And that's the story of why I'm not allowed near pregnant women for the next few weeks.

Snowy
Local

Post by Snowy » Tue Aug 21, 2018 11:19 am

So Master & Commander watched on the back of this thread, and mightily enjoyed it was too. Are the books worth looking into as well?

I had never watched it because I don't generally get on with Russell Crowe as an actor (I may earn the eternal enmity of Doug for this but I really didn't like Gladiator). He is not as bad as Nicholas Cage in the turn-off stakes though, and I really did enjoy M&C a great deal.

So thanks this thread and all who sail in her.
RCHD wrote:Snowy is my favourite. He's a metal God.
08/10/2003 - 17/08/2018
10501 :-({|=

Maturin

Post by Maturin » Tue Aug 21, 2018 11:22 am

Snowy wrote:
Tue Aug 21, 2018 11:19 am
So Master & Commander watched on the back of this thread, and mightily enjoyed it was too. Are the books worth looking into as well?
They're my favourite military fiction novels. I definitely recommend picking up the first book in the series at the very least, to see how you get on with it. It's a self contained story.

It covers Aubrey's first command in the Mediterranean. It's detailed naval warfare though, i had to do a tiny bit of research to get up to speed with some of the terms used, but its' hugely rewarding because O'Brian is an incredible writer.
Last edited by Maturin on Tue Aug 21, 2018 11:23 am, edited 2 times in total.