Post by Mantis » Tue Aug 21, 2018 10:14 pm

:lol:

I wasn't aware of that, no!

Stormbringer
Rad Dad

Re: Favourite Films

Post by Stormbringer » Tue Aug 21, 2018 10:17 pm

A favourite of mine was a child was The Neverending Story

Great theme tune, loved the story and as a nine-year-old boy I had something of a crush on the Childlike Empress. ¬_¬
Between tedium and fright
Such is the song of the nether world
The hissing of rats
And the jarring chants of angels

Sly Boots
Bar Staff

Post by Sly Boots » Tue Aug 21, 2018 10:34 pm

Stormbringer wrote:
Tue Aug 21, 2018 10:17 pm
A favourite of mine was a child was The Neverending Story

Great theme tune, loved the story and as a nine-year-old boy I had something of a crush on the Childlike Empress. ¬_¬
Yeah, we watched that one too. Reliving 80s childhood ftw ^_^

It got a bit sad when they turned to me during the swamp scene, childish naivety in their eyes, asking me if the horse was going to be ok. They didn't believe me when I said no. -_-

Of course I'd totally forgotten the bit right at the end when he comes back so they were right after all :lol:

Stormbringer
Rad Dad

Post by Stormbringer » Tue Aug 21, 2018 10:40 pm

Now they'll never trust you again. ¬_¬
The hissing of rats

Sly Boots
Bar Staff

Post by Sly Boots » Tue Aug 21, 2018 10:41 pm

Stormbringer wrote:
Tue Aug 21, 2018 10:40 pm
Now they'll never trust you again. ¬_¬
I don't think they've trusted me since the age of about 4 :lol:

I have a tendency to make shit up in response to any question and tease them with flawless poker face.

Sly Boots
Bar Staff

Post by Sly Boots » Tue Aug 21, 2018 10:52 pm

Oh, and functioning both as a shout for this thread and also a parental warning - The Goonies.

Great flick, love it. Part of my childhood.

But a surprising amount of dead bodies in various stages of decay. We'd forgotten about those and switched it off hastily after about 20 minutes and our children's third exposure to cinematic corpses.

Rusty

Post by Rusty » Wed Aug 22, 2018 12:36 am

IMDB is perfect for these sort of things. Go to the parents advisory tab and check for nudity, swearing, violence etc. Then it's your call.

Also great to see if a film is worth watching for tits :)
-- To be completed at some point --

Medicine Man
Bar Staff

Post by Medicine Man » Wed Aug 22, 2018 12:41 am

Isnt there a suicide scene at the start of that movie? It's been a while since I saw it, but I would imagine that could be slightly problematic for kids also. And all that's before taking into account the whole one eyed Willy thing. :)

Sly Boots
Bar Staff

Post by Sly Boots » Wed Aug 22, 2018 6:49 am

Medicine Man wrote:
Wed Aug 22, 2018 12:41 am
Isnt there a suicide scene at the start of that movie? It's been a while since I saw it, but I would imagine that could be slightly problematic for kids also. And all that's before taking into account the whole one eyed Willy thing. :)
No... just an attempted one (one of the villains pretends to hang himself in his cell to escape). Then there's the guy with a bullet hole in his head in their freezer... it was, um, interesting viewing.

Maturin

Post by Maturin » Wed Aug 22, 2018 7:48 am

It's not a bad thing for kids to get used to mild depictions of dead bodies. Better to see it in Goonies alongside their parents than watch some 18-rated slasher pic all by themselves.

Sly Boots
Bar Staff

Post by Sly Boots » Wed Aug 22, 2018 8:05 am

Maturin wrote:
Wed Aug 22, 2018 7:48 am
It's not a bad thing for kids to get used to mild depictions of dead bodies. Better to see it in Goonies alongside their parents than watch some 18-rated slasher pic all by themselves.
We'll definitely be trying it again at some point, but they were a bit young just yet really.

Stormbringer
Rad Dad

Post by Stormbringer » Wed Aug 22, 2018 8:58 am

I grew up with Ralph Bakshi's The Lord of the Rings and Martin Rosen's Watership Down (also two of my favourites as a child), which I think I was introduced to at the age of six.

I saw plenty of gory dead rabbits and orcs.
The hissing of rats

Sly Boots
Bar Staff

Post by Sly Boots » Wed Aug 22, 2018 9:02 am

Stormbringer wrote:
Wed Aug 22, 2018 8:58 am
I grew up with Ralph Bakshi's The Lord of the Rings and Martin Rosen's Watership Down (also two of my favourites as a child), which I think I was introduced to at the age of six.

I saw plenty of gory dead rabbits and orcs.
We were hardened children of the 80s though, not one of these millennial snowflakes ;)

I do think it was different times in many ways, some of the films that got a PG rating back then would easily be a 12 or 15 by today's standards. Case in point, Ghostbusters 2 is rated PG and is sitting in the Netflix Kids section - wtf?

It's a difficult one to judge, my 7yo is probably old enough for the above (Watership Down etc) though has a very sensitive highly-strung nature (and often has trouble sleeping because of bad dreams), so I'm loath to go there just yet, and my 5yo is just too young I think.

Another couple of years and we'll be there, I think.

On a related note, one of my earliest memories is me, aged 5, being shown the Thriller video by my dad when my mum was away because he thought it was cool. Memory grows hazy on the precise details of my reaction, though I apparently ran screaming from the room. I also had nightmares of werewolves for a good number of years after that.

Maturin

Post by Maturin » Wed Aug 22, 2018 9:14 am

Sly Boots wrote:
Wed Aug 22, 2018 9:02 am
I do think it was different times in many ways, some of the films that got a PG rating back then would easily be a 12 or 15 by today's standards.
It's funny. A lot of old PG films would now get 12 ratings, and a lot of 15 films also now get the 12 rating.

It's like that rating has become some kind of vortex, sucking in everything.

I saw Ghostbusters (one of those films now upped from PG to 12) when I was 5 and apart from a few jokes going over my head I was fine. The scary bits were fun.

Sly Boots
Bar Staff

Post by Sly Boots » Wed Aug 22, 2018 9:25 am

Maturin wrote:
Wed Aug 22, 2018 9:14 am
Sly Boots wrote:
Wed Aug 22, 2018 9:02 am
I do think it was different times in many ways, some of the films that got a PG rating back then would easily be a 12 or 15 by today's standards.
It's funny. A lot of old PG films would now get 12 ratings, and a lot of 15 films also now get the 12 rating.

It's like that rating has become some kind of vortex, sucking in everything.

I saw Ghostbusters (one of those films now upped from PG to 12) when I was 5 and apart from a few jokes going over my head I was fine. The scary bits were fun.
Even the bit in the library at the beginning? :o

Bloody hell, I crapped my pants when I saw that the first time and I was probably 11/12 at the time...

I think all you can do as a parent is try to judge these things by knowing your kids and how well they'll deal with certain things, what one 6yo kid will be fine with might be too much for another at 9 or 10.

On another note - MM, my two, particularly my eldest is now obsessed with all things Beatles after watching the Yellow Submarine (which went up on Prime a week after I bought the DVD, naturally). They've watched it well over a dozen times since and we've spent hours watching their videos with her. She also seems to have developed a first slight crush on George Harrison, which it totes adorbz.