General Film News

Small Screen. Bigger Screen.
Mantis
Landlord

Re: General Film News

Post by Mantis » Thu Dec 02, 2021 6:23 pm

Spoiler
Pleased to see the Merovingian looks to be making a comeback. His character was very entertaining in the sequels.

Raid
Local

Post by Raid » Wed Dec 08, 2021 10:30 am

Arguably the best superhero film is getting a sequel next year... although it looks to be in more than one part:

Not a huge amount to go on there, other than it looking incredible.

Achtung Englander

Post by Achtung Englander » Mon Dec 13, 2021 8:46 am

West Side Story has no English subtitles with Spanish and Puerto Rican dialogue

:lol: :roll:

Wokeism is hitting heights of utter nonsense now
Last edited by Achtung Englander on Mon Dec 13, 2021 8:48 am, edited 1 time in total.
Games playing : Bioshock (Remastered) / Total War Britannia / Dirt 4

Sly Boots
Bar Staff

Post by Sly Boots » Mon Dec 13, 2021 8:48 am

Yeah, that's dumb. I've never seen anywhere the suggestion that subtitling is one language's supremacy over another.

Wrathbone
Local

Post by Wrathbone » Mon Dec 13, 2021 9:36 am

Isn't Spielberg's decision more disrespectful to the hardworking cast and crew whose work now won't be seen by the non-Spanish speaking world? Does he now consider every film that uses subtitles disrespectful to the languages being spoken?

Fuck off, Spielberg.

Achtung Englander

Post by Achtung Englander » Mon Dec 13, 2021 9:47 am

when I watch any "foreign" film I always understand everything what is said by looking at their expressions, that is because I am wholly respectful of other people cultures while staying wholly ignorant which is the correct thing to do.

](*,)

Raid
Local

Post by Raid » Mon Dec 13, 2021 9:51 am

How much of the dialogue are we talking about here? If it's any more than a handful of lines, then yeah, that's idiotic. What's more disrespectful; translation or having the majority of the audience unable to interpret the lines? And "giving English the power over the Spanish"? How much power does a language have if the recipient can't bloody understand it?

Medicine Man
Bar Staff

Post by Medicine Man » Mon Dec 13, 2021 10:15 am

How hard is it to learn a bit of Spanish you bunch of gammons. ;)

Wrathbone
Local

Post by Wrathbone » Mon Dec 13, 2021 10:15 am

Raid wrote:
Mon Dec 13, 2021 9:51 am
How much of the dialogue are we talking about here?
Not a huge amount, supposedly, but there are scenes where the characters have full conversations in Spanish.

This appears to be all about America being a bilingual country, with Spielberg arguing that there shouldn't be a 'default' language for an American audience. That's fine and I take his point, but he's 'solving' the problem entirely the wrong way. If Americans who speak Spanish as their first language are being disparaged by most Hollywood films assuming the audience speaks English and so subtitling Spanish dialogue, surely the answer isn't to remove subtitles. It's to offer presentations of the film with subtitles for English dialogue. Removing the ability for a significant portion of your audience to understand the film is the stupidest way of dealing with it.

EDIT - There's a curious side question to this. Given that this particular issue is only really relevant to America (in terms of it being bilingual), will we in the UK be considered an international audience and therefore given subtitles in cinema viewings of the film? We're not a Spanish-speaking country for the most part, so if we don't get subtitles for the Spanish scenes then Spielberg is making an assumption about us that is just as bad as the very problem he's addressing.
Medicine Man wrote:
Mon Dec 13, 2021 10:15 am
How hard is it to learn a bit of Spanish you bunch of gammons. ;)
I did several years of Spanish at school, but these days I'm afraid if West Side Story veers too far from the lyrics to the Las Ketchup song then I'm stuffed. :lol:

Achtung Englander

Post by Achtung Englander » Mon Dec 13, 2021 10:30 am

The official language of the USA is English. I get that south California is bilingual, maybe even some parts of Texas, but what about everyone else?

Wifey said what about opera -no subtitles with opera. True up to a point but some televised opera has subtitles. I get the fact WSS is a musical but I also want to understand how the plot is moved along when people stop singing and speak instead.

This smacks of elitism and stupidity at the same time. I bet Disney reverses Spielberg's decision when it comes to Disney+ unless they really want to lose people's interest. I am sure Spielberg is doing Disney's head in with this decision. I wonder if Disney gave Spielberg full creative rights? All this will do is make the studios crack down even harder on directors who want full creative control.

Wrathbone
Local

Post by Wrathbone » Mon Dec 13, 2021 10:31 am

Achtung Englander wrote:
Mon Dec 13, 2021 10:30 am
The official language of the USA is English.
Not true - the USA has no official language. That's crucial to this entire thing. Also important to understand that 18.2% of the US population is Hispanic, which is not exactly insubstantial.
Achtung Englander wrote:
Mon Dec 13, 2021 10:30 am
I bet Disney reverses Spielberg's decision when it comes to Disney+ unless they really want to lose people's interest.
Yeah, I'd be amazed if regular subtitle options aren't available in home presentations. I think this is more a question of how the film is presented at cinemas.

Animalmother
Local

Post by Animalmother » Mon Dec 13, 2021 11:20 am

I assume by that logic the next Star Wars film will have parts were if you don't speak alien your in for a hard time. Is it possible the film is just shit and he's trying to lower the chances of people seeing it?

Mantis
Landlord

Post by Mantis » Mon Dec 13, 2021 3:42 pm

Seems a bit daft to me. I'd have thought that the best way to appeal to a diverse viewership would be to simply have different versions of the movie on show where there are strong bilingual demographics. It's not some weird Xenophobic or superiority power play of me that I don't speak Spanish, but I would have a far greater appreciation of the plot, themes and subtext of a film if I could understand what every character was saying by way of subtitles.

Achtung Englander

Post by Achtung Englander » Thu Dec 16, 2021 8:59 am

As a huge Arthur C Clarke fan (it is his Birthday today), this is great news

https://www.indiewire.com/2021/12/denis ... 234685836/

Alan

Post by Alan » Thu Dec 16, 2021 9:40 am

How many degrees of separation from Villeneuve does that make you? :-k
A man who could tell more truth and eat fewer pies.