General Film News

Small Screen. Bigger Screen.
Wrathbone
Local

Re: General Film News

Post by Wrathbone » Thu Sep 09, 2021 2:12 pm

Hmmm. I get the impression it's going to be 2 hours of Keanu Reeves remembering he's Neo, going "whoooah" at lots of things, then some gubbins explaining why the Matrix is still going to set up a sequel.

Raid
Local

Post by Raid » Thu Sep 09, 2021 3:18 pm

I saw that earlier, I'm not impressed. I know the style in the original trilogy has... not aged well, but it was very distinctive, and this has absolutely none of it. No green filter over everything, no trenchcoats, Vietnam-era music, Neo now has long hair... honestly it looks like a fan film that somehow managed to get Keanu Reeves and Carrie-Anne Moss for a day's filming. Other than that brief effects shot of the falling green terminal characters and Neo stopping bullets by holding his hands out, it doesn't look like a Matrix film at all.

Animalmother
Local

Post by Animalmother » Thu Sep 09, 2021 4:22 pm

Honestly I thought that looked ok. I was expecting an absolute shit show but that wasn't one. I'm guessing he's doing the next John Wicks as well so can't cut his hair. I'm just hoping it has some utterly insane gun fights seeing as Keanu is the master of that now.

Mantis
Landlord

Post by Mantis » Thu Sep 09, 2021 4:56 pm

Not a very convincing trailer for me. Really not a fan of the forced throwbacks to the original movie with the pills and the white rabbit, like is that really all they can come up with is throwing generic callbacks in to fuel the plot?

No Lawrence Fishburne either but they still felt the need to put in a Morpheus rip off.

I hope its good but I'm not holding my breath.

Animalmother
Local

Post by Animalmother » Thu Sep 09, 2021 5:03 pm

Is the first film still highly regarded or have the 2 sequels ruined all that?

Raid
Local

Post by Raid » Thu Sep 09, 2021 6:33 pm

I don't think they've stood the test of time personally. The first film is a standalone affair so it's quite easy to just ignore the sequels if that's your choice; I personally have nothing against them and think that they add to the franchise rather than detract, even if they never had the same thematic or technological impact. But they look really dated; the abundance of black PVC, every single character wearing dark sunglasses and the musical choices are so suggestive of the era in which they were made that it's really difficult to look past. The Matrix was such a style icon of a film that the movie has aged along with the fashion it promoted.

And Mantis, I'm not entirely sure, but the fact that the "Morpheus" character is wearing those exact same frameless sunglasses suggests to me that it is actually Morpheus.

Mantis
Landlord

Post by Mantis » Thu Sep 09, 2021 6:53 pm

I do hope that's not the case. Fishburne was my favourite character in the original trilogy and I would really struggle to enjoy seeing him recast.

I think the original is very dated, but it's still a sci-fi classic. The sequels are fun in their own right for going in their own directions, but the first movie is still fantastic. I actually really enjoy the 90s aesthetics too, particularly the music.

Wrathbone
Local

Post by Wrathbone » Thu Sep 09, 2021 7:18 pm

Raid wrote:
Thu Sep 09, 2021 6:33 pm
The Matrix was such a style icon of a film that the movie has aged along with the fashion it promoted.
It didn't help that for a good few years there was a certain subculture of geekdom that wore leather trenchcoats and destroyed any last ounce of style the film gave to that look.

Alan

Post by Alan » Fri Sep 10, 2021 12:32 am

I really hope the Morpheus thing is because Matrix Online killed him off.

They did say it was all canon at the time!
A man who could tell more truth and eat fewer pies.

Raid
Local

Post by Raid » Fri Sep 10, 2021 4:25 pm

Achtung Englander

Post by Achtung Englander » Tue Sep 14, 2021 7:18 am

His program lost weight
Games playing : Bioshock (Remastered) / Total War Britannia / Dirt 4

Raid
Local

Post by Raid » Fri Sep 24, 2021 10:12 am

The Green Knight has appeared on Amazon Prime:
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Green-Knight-D ... 462&sr=8-3

I'm sure I'd seen comments that this was a excellent film, but all of the user reviews I've seen seem to suggest it's a flop. Am I getting it mixed up with something else?

Sly Boots
Bar Staff

Post by Sly Boots » Fri Sep 24, 2021 10:22 am

Raid wrote:
Fri Sep 24, 2021 10:12 am
The Green Knight has appeared on Amazon Prime:
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Green-Knight-D ... 462&sr=8-3

I'm sure I'd seen comments that this was a excellent film, but all of the user reviews I've seen seem to suggest it's a flop. Am I getting it mixed up with something else?
No, same film. I've held off watching it for similar reasons, seems like it's the sort of arty-farty stuff reviewers lap up while leaving mainstream audiences stone cold.

Animalmother
Local

Post by Animalmother » Fri Sep 24, 2021 4:39 pm

It's pretty dull to be honest, not by any means bad just a wee bit boring. Which was disappointing after reading all the rave reviews it got.

Rossell

Post by Rossell » Sat Sep 25, 2021 7:53 am