Re: General Film News

Post by Achtung Englander » Mon Apr 15, 2019 10:37 am

ok, I made my case.
Games playing : Bioshock (Remastered) / Total War Britannia / Dirt 4

Mantis
Landlord

Post by Mantis » Mon Apr 15, 2019 12:20 pm

I disagree that it was necessary to entirely dump the expanded universe to make the new movies. Marvel have done a decent enough job of producing movies from many decades worth of material that came before from the comics. I don't really know an enormous amount about it outside of various video games though, I never read any of the novels.

The only real problem coming into Ep9 is going to be the lack of a cohesive feel running through the new trilogy, it doesn't really feel like the third movie has much purpose to it because of the disjointed mess that TLJ left behind. It seemed to me that Johnson basically dropped all the potential story arcs set up in TFA in favour of doing completely his own thing. Flashbacks of Rey's childhood in the rain? Irrelevant, her parents were nobodies according to TLJ. New emperor style big baddie? Complete and utter fodder for Kylo to slice up.

You can't tell a good story across a trilogy where the writing and direction is quite clearly completely divvied up between two separate directors slap bang in the middle. It doesn't help that TLJ was awful too, really full of too many poorly written characters vying for screen time with a number of really stupid ideas that didn't really make sense.

It's very disappointing that the new trilogy has been utilised in such a way, currently I rate it at about the same level as the prequels. TFA started so damn strong though, I enjoyed that movie overall even though it ended up rehashing a lot of ideas from A New Hope.

Stormbringer
Rad Dad

Post by Stormbringer » Mon Apr 15, 2019 12:45 pm

Personally, I don't get too hung up on all the issues. I just take what's on offer and choose to enjoy it.
Between tedium and fright
Such is the song of the nether world
The hissing of rats
And the jarring chants of angels

Sly Boots
Bar Staff

Post by Sly Boots » Mon Apr 15, 2019 12:53 pm

I think the problem for me is that I didn't particularly enjoy TFA, and from all I've read it's the better of the two films. It was... ok. Honestly I got bored by a fair amount of it to the extent I can't really recall much of the plot or what the deal is with any of the new characters. And part of the reason I've put off watching TLJ is that I can't be arsed sitting through TFA again to try to remember what's going on.

I enjoyed Rogue One for the most part, but not seen Solo. And probably won't, based on what others have said about it.

I just feel a bit sad I don't get excited about a new Star Wars film any more. TBF that predates the Disney trilogy by a couple of films.

Achtung Englander

Post by Achtung Englander » Mon Apr 15, 2019 12:53 pm

Mantis wrote:
Mon Apr 15, 2019 12:20 pm
I disagree that it was necessary to entirely dump the expanded universe to make the new movies. Marvel have done a decent enough job of producing movies from many decades worth of material that came before from the comics. I don't really know an enormous amount about it outside of various video games though, I never read any of the novels.

The only real problem coming into Ep9 is going to be the lack of a cohesive feel running through the new trilogy, it doesn't really feel like the third movie has much purpose to it because of the disjointed mess that TLJ left behind. It seemed to me that Johnson basically dropped all the potential story arcs set up in TFA in favour of doing completely his own thing. Flashbacks of Rey's childhood in the rain? Irrelevant, her parents were nobodies according to TLJ. New emperor style big baddie? Complete and utter fodder for Kylo to slice up.

You can't tell a good story across a trilogy where the writing and direction is quite clearly completely divvied up between two separate directors slap bang in the middle. It doesn't help that TLJ was awful too, really full of too many poorly written characters vying for screen time with a number of really stupid ideas that didn't really make sense.

It's very disappointing that the new trilogy has been utilised in such a way, currently I rate it at about the same level as the prequels. TFA started so damn strong though, I enjoyed that movie overall even though it ended up rehashing a lot of ideas from A New Hope.
well said ! my sentiments exactly
Games playing : Bioshock (Remastered) / Total War Britannia / Dirt 4

Raid
Local

Post by Raid » Mon Apr 15, 2019 1:06 pm

Incidentally you may want to stop using Thrawn as an example of old canon given that he's the primary antagonist in the second half of Rebels. I don't really know the character well enough to say whether they did him justice or not (I suspect he was a very watered down version given it wasa kids' show).

Edit: this was supposed to be a reply to someone on the previous page, I didn't see all of this.

DjchunKfunK
Bar Staff

Post by DjchunKfunK » Tue Apr 30, 2019 1:19 pm

ARGH MY EYES!

Raid
Local

Post by Raid » Tue Apr 30, 2019 2:48 pm

I was actually speechless for several seconds after watching it before just bursting into laughter.

They're about 25 years too late, but Sega finally have their equivalent to the Super Mario Bros film.

Animalmother
Local

Post by Animalmother » Tue Apr 30, 2019 3:39 pm

Holy shit....who the fuck is that aimed at? The early 2000's cgi, some actors whose name I can't remember and Jim Carrey. It would have been cheaper to just set fire to a huge pile of money.

Wrathbone
Local

Post by Wrathbone » Wed May 01, 2019 7:28 am

H.P. Lovecraft wrote:I cannot even hint what it was like, for it was a compound of all that is unclean, uncanny, unwelcome, abnormal, and detestable. It was the ghoulish shade of decay, antiquity, and dissolution; the putrid dripping eidolon of unwholesome revelation, the awful baring of that which the merciful earth should always hide. God knows it was not of this world—or no longer of this world—yet to my horror I saw in its blue-furred and dead-eyed outlines a leering, abhorrent travesty of the human shape; and in its mouldy, disintegrating teeth an unspeakable quality that chilled me even more.

Sly Boots
Bar Staff

Post by Sly Boots » Wed May 01, 2019 8:10 am

:lol:

Slap a star rating on that and have it printed on the movie posters.

Drarok

Post by Drarok » Wed May 01, 2019 10:17 am

It's definitely going to be terrible, and I am definitely going to enjoy watching it. Whilst drunk.
Raid wrote:
Thu Jan 28, 2021 2:24 pm
And that's the story of why I'm not allowed near pregnant women for the next few weeks.

Mantis
Landlord

Post by Mantis » Thu May 02, 2019 2:58 pm

Seems like it'll achieve similar infamy as the Street Fighter movie with Van Damme in. It looks utterly ridiculous, I actually kind of want to see it.

Raid
Local

Post by Raid » Fri May 03, 2019 9:43 am

Hmm. They're changing Sonic's look.

Given how soon after the trailer this has been announced, one does have to wonder whether the terrible design was just there for the headlines, and they'd always planned to do this.

Drarok

Post by Drarok » Fri May 03, 2019 10:10 am

That would be an extremely clever marketing move, I'm not sure any studio is smart enough for it.
Raid wrote:
Thu Jan 28, 2021 2:24 pm
And that's the story of why I'm not allowed near pregnant women for the next few weeks.