The Apprentice 2018

Small Screen. Bigger Screen.
Raid
Local

Re: The Apprentice 2018

Post by Raid » Thu Oct 18, 2018 11:40 am

Achtung Englander wrote:
Thu Oct 18, 2018 9:35 am
who was the blonde guy who just popped up from nowhere ?

Watching it with the gf I called out "who the fuck is he"
Yeah, as said above I had the same issue last week. They just don't seem to have the air time for all of the candidates at the beginning, either because they're editing to push a "what did you do on this task?" narrative, or simply because they didn't do anything interesting enough. I think they'd do better by reducing the amount of people competing.

And yeah, Curran has been a complete waste of space so far. He claimed he was a brilliant pitcher, and both pitches we've seen him do he spoke like a frightened school child. Now he breaks his arm wrestling? While I did think maybe Sugar was sticking the boot in a bit much with three separate punchlines that Curran clearly didn't want to hear at the start of the boardroom bit, but I couldn't help but chuckle at them.

DjchunKfunK
Bar Staff

Post by DjchunKfunK » Thu Oct 18, 2018 12:08 pm

I'm surprised people are still enjoying this. Have they done anything different this year or is it still the same old tired tasks?

Achtung Englander

Post by Achtung Englander » Thu Oct 18, 2018 12:21 pm

I recall reading that from you Raid. I said to the GF my friend on that gaming forum said so, it was still a shock. It was literally like he appeared to nowhere. I can see why he disappeared. I do not think the guy even opened his mouth.
Games playing : Bioshock (Remastered) / Total War Britannia / Dirt 4

Achtung Englander

Post by Achtung Englander » Thu Oct 18, 2018 12:24 pm

DjchunKfunK wrote:
Thu Oct 18, 2018 12:08 pm
I'm surprised people are still enjoying this. Have they done anything different this year or is it still the same old tired tasks?
put it this way....its Alan Sugar...so what do you think. This is the brains behind the phone video after the mass production of tablets and smartphones

Raid
Local

Post by Raid » Thu Oct 18, 2018 2:50 pm

DjchunKfunK wrote:
Thu Oct 18, 2018 12:08 pm
I must admit I've found my interest waning. Because I tend to record Bake Off and watch it on a wednesday afternoon, going from the happy smiling cooking competition to the general unpleasantness that pervades The Apprentice is getting to be quite jarring. It's just all too dramatic, too nasty, too caught up on berating and knocking people down. Hell they've been using the soundtracks from epic blockbuster films as backing tracks for several years, which does say something about the presentation.

DjchunKfunK
Bar Staff

Post by DjchunKfunK » Thu Oct 18, 2018 3:13 pm

The nastiness is partly why I stopped watching two years ago, that and the tired formula.

Maturin

Post by Maturin » Thu Oct 18, 2018 3:36 pm

The nastiness tends to occur in the early episodes when they're all fighting to get their voices heard. Settles down a bit after that usually.

I dunno. It's not great TV obviously, but it's entertaining because it's, well.... entertaining. It's a pretty straight-up sort of show, doesn't try to be something it isn't. Bunch of new people having to suddenly work together and achieve something will always have some level of watchability. I don't think there's any surprise why people watch it.

Raid
Local

Post by Raid » Thu Oct 18, 2018 3:38 pm

Maturin wrote:
Thu Oct 18, 2018 3:36 pm
doesn't try to be something it isn't.
I don't agree with that, it's pretending to be a serious business competition, which it blatantly isn't. You're right though, I suspect most viewers know that it's trash.

Maturin

Post by Maturin » Thu Oct 18, 2018 3:40 pm

Raid wrote:
Thu Oct 18, 2018 3:38 pm
Maturin wrote:
Thu Oct 18, 2018 3:36 pm
doesn't try to be something it isn't.
I don't agree with that, it's pretending to be a serious business competition, which it blatantly isn't. You're right though, I suspect most viewers know that it's trash.
No, I meant that as in: we all know what the show really is, and the show makers themselves know what it really is - and they deliver the same thing every time. Probably not the best choice of words.

Sly Boots
Bar Staff

Post by Sly Boots » Thu Oct 18, 2018 3:58 pm

Having to watch this series on a 24-hour delay as my wife works Wednesday nights now. It's killing me seeing this thread so active today and not knowing what happened :o

Soon. Soon.

Achtung Englander

Post by Achtung Englander » Thu Oct 18, 2018 4:18 pm

....the bit when Claude slapped dicked Sugar was amazing

Sly Boots
Bar Staff

Post by Sly Boots » Thu Oct 18, 2018 9:13 pm

Caught up with the thread having watched the episode. I knew as soon as they decided the flavours the team that decided to put hot sauce on donuts would lose, and no surprise that was the case. Very unfair the woman who made that decision survived, though.

And all I can say is that I'm still enjoying it, just as I enjoy it every year and no doubt will continue to enjoy it each time in the future.

Raid
Local

Post by Raid » Thu Oct 18, 2018 9:28 pm

She made a valid point; chili and chocolate *is* a combination that works (hell, I made chili con carne with most of a bar of 80% dark chocolate in the other week and it was delicious), and others could quite easily have taken issue with the actual implementation of that flavour.

I genuinely thought the PM was going to go. The guy that got fired did look to be a bit of a handful, but the PM just did not seem to be making decisions himself, which is usually a sign that they'll be gone.

Sly Boots
Bar Staff

Post by Sly Boots » Thu Oct 18, 2018 9:53 pm

Raid wrote:
Thu Oct 18, 2018 9:28 pm
She made a valid point; chili and chocolate *is* a combination that works (hell, I made chili con carne with most of a bar of 80% dark chocolate in the other week and it was delicious), and others could quite easily have taken issue with the actual implementation of that flavour.

I genuinely thought the PM was going to go. The guy that got fired did look to be a bit of a handful, but the PM just did not seem to be making decisions himself, which is usually a sign that they'll be gone.
Sure, in theory it's a nice combo, but it's about implementation... something subtle or slightly sweet like a chilli jam would have been fine, Green and Blacks does a nice dark chocolate with that as a centre. But drizzling a bunch of hot sauce over a doughnut is bonkers. The fact he nearly died during the taste test should have been a clue :lol:

Raid
Local

Post by Raid » Fri Oct 19, 2018 8:57 am

Yes, it is, and even despite the first tester nearly choking on it, nobody decided it was maybe a bad idea. I think everyone on the team was at fault at that point.