Films that would not be made today

Small Screen. Bigger Screen.
Achtung Englander

Films that would not be made today

Post by Achtung Englander » Sun Oct 14, 2018 7:12 pm

Interesting video

I think this whole female "empowerment" thing will end as quickly as it came if the film studios keep on losing money. Well...I hope so anyway
Games playing : Bioshock (Remastered) / Total War Britannia / Dirt 4

Strudel

Re: Films that would not be made today

Post by Strudel » Sun Oct 14, 2018 9:41 pm

Christ, what a stupid Edwin he is. I only got 3 minutes into it before giving up on the stupid twat.

Achtung Englander

Post by Achtung Englander » Sun Oct 14, 2018 11:00 pm

:lol:

Animalmother
Local

Post by Animalmother » Mon Oct 15, 2018 6:11 pm

I couldn't imagine a film like Leon being made today like the 90's one. The whole relationship between an adult man and an 12 year old girl would be too uncomfortable. Such a fantastic film though.

Anything Paul Verhoeven made in the 80's and 90's couldn't be remade, as made clear by the fucking mess that was the Robocop shit show. A satire on cooperate greed would just be considered lefty anti-Trump propaganda now, which in fairness it would need to be.

I rewatched Scum the other day, another amazing film that probably would never be made today.

The Jackal

Post by The Jackal » Mon Oct 15, 2018 7:29 pm

Birth Of A Nation.
Mighty Horse Rocks The Fat Ass.

Raid
Local

Post by Raid » Mon Oct 15, 2018 8:23 pm

Animalmother wrote:
Mon Oct 15, 2018 6:11 pm
Anything Paul Verhoeven made in the 80's and 90's couldn't be remade, as made clear by the fucking mess that was the Robocop shit show. A satire on cooperate greed would just be considered lefty anti-Trump propaganda now, which in fairness it would need to be.
I think the problem would be that the ridiculous over-the-top nature of that 80s future just feels a bit tame by today's standards. Let's face it, President Trump is basically an extension of the "Corporation runs the government" theme that Robocop portrayed. There may be fewer boardroom bloodbaths (that we know about anyway), but the leader of the USA is trying to run a country like a business. I genuinely believe that Trump could put a dollar value on a single human life; in fact I bet since taking office that he has asked for the overall cost of training each soldier so he can assign a value to every military operation.

I'm just not sure that level of satire would work these days, as you say.

Stormbringer
Rad Dad

Post by Stormbringer » Tue Oct 16, 2018 12:10 pm

Animalmother wrote:
Mon Oct 15, 2018 6:11 pm
I couldn't imagine a film like Leon being made today like the 90's one. The whole relationship between an adult man and an 12 year old girl would be too uncomfortable. Such a fantastic film though.

I really loved this when I first saw it, which would have been around 2001/2002.

I introduced two "friends" of mine to it -- we all watched it together -- sometime in 2003. I was 20 years old at the time and they would have been 15 or 16. Well, they just about had a fit. They simply could not handle the uncomfortable age gap between Leon and Mathilda. They refused to watch any more of it after a certain point.
Between tedium and fright
Such is the song of the nether world
The hissing of rats
And the jarring chants of angels

Jez

Post by Jez » Tue Oct 16, 2018 2:48 pm

I don't remember anything covertly or overtly relationship in that film. Mind you it's been 20 years or more.
19-10-2003
12072 :-({|=

Achtung Englander

Post by Achtung Englander » Tue Oct 16, 2018 3:05 pm

snowflakes !
Stop the world, I want to get off. People are now offended over everything and anything. Get a fucking grip. I am so glad I am not a young person in this day.

Maturin

Post by Maturin » Tue Oct 16, 2018 3:07 pm

Stormbringer wrote:
Tue Oct 16, 2018 12:10 pm
I introduced two "friends" of mine to it -- we all watched it together -- sometime in 2003. I was 20 years old at the time and they would have been 15 or 16. Well, they just about had a fit. They simply could not handle the uncomfortable age gap between Leon and Mathilda. They refused to watch any more of it after a certain point.
I think the intention was for it to be a unique, unlikely friendship between 2 lost souls - more of an innocent, platonic thing as opposed to anything sexual.

Tricky stuff. And it was pretty brave to go down that path, even in 1994.

Although refusing to watch any more of it is quite an extreme reaction. Might as well stop watching any film depicting complex things if that's the case...

DjchunKfunK
Bar Staff

Post by DjchunKfunK » Tue Oct 16, 2018 3:27 pm

Achtung Englander wrote:
Sun Oct 14, 2018 7:12 pm
I think this whole female "empowerment" thing will end as quickly as it came if the film studios keep on losing money. Well...I hope so anyway
Is that meant to be a serious comment?

Achtung Englander

Post by Achtung Englander » Tue Oct 16, 2018 3:53 pm

yeah - studios want to make money and they cannot keep on ploughing money into films that make negative returns on investment. How many Ghostbusters or Ocean 8 movies can they make before they jack it in. Star Wars Solo is a casualty of the all female hero trend. I have absolutely nothing against women rights but forced agendas never work and often result with a backlash.

DjchunKfunK
Bar Staff

Post by DjchunKfunK » Tue Oct 16, 2018 3:56 pm

Why is it a forced agenda if it is an all female cast, but not if it is an all male one? Neither of those films were forced agendas and neither were particularly bad films. Just different takes on old films.

Raid
Local

Post by Raid » Tue Oct 16, 2018 4:02 pm

How is Solo a victim of the "female hero trend"? It was a film that nobody asked for, in a period of overuse of the Star Wars brand, and unless I missed something, didn't have a female hero. Qi'ra was not a hero, nor were Val (whose role is too brief to be considered) or L3-37.

Achtung Englander

Post by Achtung Englander » Tue Oct 16, 2018 6:10 pm

possibly but there was a concerted effort to boycot this film because of the Last Jedi. Look this is not me, this is what I am observing from watching YouTube blogs

Personally I don't a rats arse about any of this shit. I am all for women having more power on the condition that equal means just that...equal. I am all for equal pay if that means more women do the same hours as men or do similar pressurised work. I am for equal rights if that means changing the divorce laws. I am for women empowerment if that means more women on front line war zones. Or we can just accept that men and women are different. I am a man, so the bias is already in my favour, so its no skin off my nose what women want. It's not my battle to win.