Films that would not be made today

Small Screen. Bigger Screen.
Animalmother
Local

Re: Films that would not be made today

Post by Animalmother » Wed Oct 17, 2018 3:39 pm

So films that would not be made today, no? Fuck it then.

Jez

Post by Jez » Wed Oct 17, 2018 3:56 pm

Zulu, any early Michael Caine movie ... the list could be endless considering the views here :lol:
19-10-2003
12072 :-({|=

Achtung Englander

Post by Achtung Englander » Wed Oct 17, 2018 4:17 pm

:D

Me likes a good debate
Games playing : Bioshock (Remastered) / Total War Britannia / Dirt 4

Wrathbone
Local

Post by Wrathbone » Wed Oct 17, 2018 5:02 pm

I’m sorry, I couldn’t watch 20 mins of Jordan Peterson droning on. :lol: Especially since half of it was on The Wright Stuff, and frankly I’d rather plunge my face into molten lava than watch that.

On the topic of films that couldn’t be made today, I don’t think it’s problematic things portrayed in films that would stop them being made, but things that films imply are fine when they aren’t by modern standards. As an example, in Goldfinger, Bond drives a woman off the road and sexually assaults her. To this day I’ve never fully understood why or what purpose it serves other than to show Bond ‘gets’ the girl (in a bizzare and uncomfortable way). It doesn’t offend me but by modern standards I have to question why the film seems to have no problem with this. If it was made today, you could still have the same scene but Bond would not be the hero, he’d have to be called out on it and there’d have to be repercussions. Or even let it happen in the same way, but change the resulting message to be one of how dicks like Bond can get away with stuff like that.

The point is that content is never the problem, it’s context.

Mantis
Landlord

Post by Mantis » Wed Oct 17, 2018 6:32 pm

I don't think many Bond movies at all would be viewed favourably nowadays.

This always raises a titter at how dated it makes the movies feel.

Sly Boots
Bar Staff

Post by Sly Boots » Wed Oct 17, 2018 6:45 pm

Without conducting the necessary research, I would hazard a guess that roughly 99% of 80s romantic and coming of age comedies contain at least one scene that is offensive or creepy by today's standards.

Snowy
Local

Post by Snowy » Thu Oct 18, 2018 8:00 am

Animalmother wrote:
Mon Oct 15, 2018 6:11 pm
I couldn't imagine a film like Leon being made today like the 90's one. The whole relationship between an adult man and an 12 year old girl would be too uncomfortable. Such a fantastic film though.

Anything Paul Verhoeven made in the 80's and 90's couldn't be remade, as made clear by the fucking mess that was the Robocop shit show. A satire on cooperate greed would just be considered lefty anti-Trump propaganda now, which in fairness it would need to be.

I rewatched Scum the other day, another amazing film that probably would never be made today.
Late to the party as usual. I bought the directors cut of Leon a couple of years ago as I always liked the film but didn't own it. The extra content makes it a whoooole different story - a love story between a socially awkward hitman and a young girl - extremely uncomfortable viewing!
RCHD wrote:Snowy is my favourite. He's a metal God.
08/10/2003 - 17/08/2018
10501 :-({|=

Achtung Englander

Post by Achtung Englander » Thu Oct 18, 2018 9:32 am

well that's not good !
Games playing : Bioshock (Remastered) / Total War Britannia / Dirt 4

Snowy
Local

Post by Snowy » Thu Oct 18, 2018 10:37 am

Just read some reviews of the director's cut to see if anyone put it better that I could quote, and the reviews all take a different spin on it looking at the DC as a good version. Interesting, as I found it very uncomforable. Maybe time I watched it again, see if having read some other perspectives my own changes.
RCHD wrote:Snowy is my favourite. He's a metal God.
08/10/2003 - 17/08/2018
10501 :-({|=