Small Screen. Bigger Screen.
Sly Boots
Bar Staff

Re: Star Wars: The Mandalorian

Post by Sly Boots » Sun Dec 27, 2020 10:00 am

Raid wrote:
Sun Dec 27, 2020 9:55 am
Yup.
Ah cool, will likely check that out then.

Snowy
Local

Post by Snowy » Thu Dec 31, 2020 12:45 pm

Watched this the other day, was good. I liked the Thrawn reference, as I really enjoyed the books he appeared in when I read them a lifetime ago.
RCHD wrote:Snowy is my favourite. He's a metal God.
08/10/2003 - 17/08/2018
10501 :-({|=

Achtung Englander

Post by Achtung Englander » Thu Dec 31, 2020 9:06 pm

left my remarks on Good TV

Finished season 1 - thought it was excellent. Original as well as nostalgic.

9/10
Games playing : Bioshock (Remastered) / Total War Britannia / Dirt 4

Sly Boots
Bar Staff

Post by Sly Boots » Tue Jan 05, 2021 2:04 pm

Raid wrote:
Fri Dec 04, 2020 7:00 pm
Episode 6 is decent.
Spoiler
Dark Troopers! Actual Phase II Dark Troopers from Dark Forces! I know they were visible a few episodes back, and the subtitles seemingly named them at the time, but I suppose I wasn't expecting a reference to a 25 year old videogame. If this were a Dave Filoni episode, I'd assume this was an apology for rewriting the plot to steal the Death Star plans to replace Kyle Katarn and Jan Ors with vaguely similar characters. Perhaps Favreau has similar reverence for the pre-Disney canon.

So I've never been a big fan of Boba Fett. He was a little menacing in the original films, sure, but he didn't really do very much. He tracked the Falcon to Cloud City, and I think he took a few pot shots at Luke. In Return of the Jedi he comically dies without doing anything interesting. His entire character seemed to be "Has cool hat and jetpack." Jango had a much better portrayal, and while he also died pretty quickly, he did at least go down to the best lightsaber fighter in the universe. This episode rectifies this, and now Boba has finally earned all of the fan adoration.

And goodbye Razorcrest. I can't say I've been a big fan of the design to be honest - it was a perfectly decent looking landing craft, but it just didn't look particularly... well, cool. There's something to be said for staying a little bit low-key, but it's like James Bond driving around in a Ford Transit. They talked the ship up a bit in season 1, but it just never quite clicked with me. I do wonder what they'll replace it with. It'd be nice if Mando got something a little larger next time; the 'Crest didn't exactly make for an interesting set.
Just watched this one, took me a while to get to it as didn't really click that much with ep5, but this one was a return to form, I thought.

The Razor Crest is at the very least a cool Lego set :p

Achtung Englander

Post by Achtung Englander » Mon Jan 25, 2021 9:14 am

Finished Season 2 yesterday. So good. This feels like a true sequel to Return of the Jedi, making the film sequels obsolete (they were half way there in my brainbox anyway, this just cements the fact I do not need to revisit them at all)

If the other TV shows have this high standard of production than Disney is slowly rebuilding the damage it did with the sequels
Games playing : Bioshock (Remastered) / Total War Britannia / Dirt 4

Wrathbone
Local

Post by Wrathbone » Mon Jan 25, 2021 9:49 am

I think one of The Mandalorian's greatest strengths is that it's NOT a sequel, as it's not beholden to anything else and is free to tell its own story, while also being able to pull threads from other Star Wars material. I just hope that it doesn't pull too many threads too hard so that it ends up having to arrive at The Force Awakens. They should let it go in its own direction.

eny

Post by eny » Sat Apr 01, 2023 11:42 pm

Everything on the internet is 100% true.

– Abraham Lincoln
˙ƃuıʇıɹʍ ʎuıʇ ʎllɐǝɹ uʍop ǝpısdn