Game of Thrones S8 (Here be spoilers)

Small Screen. Bigger Screen.
Wrathbone
Local

Re: Game of Thrones S8 (Here be spoilers)

Post by Wrathbone » Mon May 06, 2019 7:30 am

Spoiler
Great first half with some nice (if superfluous) character interactions. Dismaying second half with yet more strategic lunacy.

Army half knackered after the battle for life itself? No problem, just dispatch them to War 2 the next day!

The most fearsome pirate of the seas scuppered your previous fleet carrying the Dornish army? Divide your forces and send all your elite troops by sea anyway!

Didn’t spot the gigantic kraken fleet from your ariel vantage point atop a dragon? Oh, whoops, too late! RIP Rhaegal for no fucking reason.

](*,)

It doesn’t have to be a strategic masterpiece, but when basic damn sense is thrown out of the window then drama becomes melodrama. Rhaegal and Missandei are both dead because the plot apparently needed them to be, not because the characters were acting to their true selves and facing difficult consequences. They died due to wanton idiocy.

The most grievous issue is that the undead story does genuinely appear to be over. Unless they pull something out the bag, that was it. What’s Bran going to do now, arse about as a flock of ravens for eternity? I really do despair for the direction they’ve taken the show.

EDIT - Just remembered all the Varys stuff. On the one hand, fantastic, I love any scene where Varys is involved. On the other hand, good lord how the mighty have fallen. He’s gone from the most cunning, elusive, esoteric man in the world with elaborate and subtle schemes to... this. Literally meeting with Tyrion in secret to go “Let’s do a treason!” He’s not so much the Spider anymore as... the Woodlouse? The Crab, scuttling sideways between loyalties? He’s gone shit like everything else, is the point.

Wrathbone
Local

Post by Wrathbone » Mon May 06, 2019 11:35 am

Mantis
Landlord

Post by Mantis » Mon May 06, 2019 11:46 am

Spoiler
The whole moment with Rhaegal getting shot out of the sky was silly. 3 perfect 100% accurate shots from miles away and then suddenly the whole fleet fires at her and she manages to just pull away from them, because drama. The dragons are meant to be like the nuclear deterrent in this world but it seems like mass produced railgun scorpions render them useless. The practicalities of having a weapon like that on a ship is just ridiculous and scorpions were explicitly stated in the books to not be very effective anyway due to how thick dragon scales are; one of them only dies because it literally gets shot in the eye with one.

I don't get how they managed to write this so hamfisted when they had so much longer to make this season than the others. The Others are gone for good now, Bran's entire character arc was pointless, Jon was resurrected for no reason and Arya's super assassin skills that are only utilised when the plot demands seem to have been ignored this episode. City full of innocents with Cersei barred in the Red Keep? If only we had an OP character who can literally appear as anybody and sneak up on anyone. Nope? Better just burn the whole city down then.

They just can't resist those fakeout deaths either. Tyrion jumps in the water and the entire mast drops towards his head before it quickly cuts away to a scene of him crawling up the beach 30 seconds later.

Strudel

Post by Strudel » Mon May 06, 2019 11:59 am

Spoiler
I like how after the battle they seem to have managed to tidy up Winterfell, collect and sort the bodies, arrange a funeral pyre and then a big feast and yet none of them seem to have spoken to each other at all since they stopped fighting.

As far as I can tell a bastilla can't fire vertically but there's nothing stopping a dragon from hovering; so why the fuck didn't Danny either get above the ships or, you know, behind them? I'm fairly sure a dragon has greater maneuverability than a ship and siege weapon.

Oh, and how do they apparently still have half the Dolthraki? Were half the army secretly hiding behind a tree last episode?

Strudel

Post by Strudel » Mon May 06, 2019 12:04 pm

Also this is a great prop-fail:
Spoiler

Animalmother
Local

Post by Animalmother » Mon May 06, 2019 12:56 pm

There does seem to be a casual laziness to the writing now. An apparent opinion that the audience is too stupid or will ignore the gapping plot holes, which is anything but the case. Two episodes left to redeem itself.

Raid
Local

Post by Raid » Mon May 06, 2019 2:50 pm

I actually really enjoyed that one, most likely because it's a return to the much more interesting plotline. Yes, there are elements that don't make any sense, but given that they have all of six episodes to wrap things up, I don't think it's that surprising. Nobody's being careful anymore because the time demands don't really allow for it.
Spoiler
It's a shame to lose Missandei, but I think her arc was pretty much over with. Whether Greyworm will succumb to anger and try to avenge her, or survive and live his life as a free man in her honour is anyone's guess.

The return to Dragonstone was an idiotic choice that I can't see the benefit of. What were they going there for exactly? Presumably there weren't any extra soldiers to pick up, as why would they have been left behind when they were needed in the North? And I have to agree that Dany not spotting an entire fleet before getting into their ballista range when she is one of only two characters that gets an aerial viewpoint was just silly. I'm sorta glad that she decided to abort her dive-bomb attack, given we're now to believe Cersei's army has exceptionally effective anti-dragon artillery that had just sniped one of their two intended targets from bloody miles away, but why did she not then just attack from behind the same cliffs that were hiding the fleet? She could easily have approached from an angle she couldn't be spotted from and burnt half of that fleet down with one flyby.

Why couldn't Three-Eyed-Raven have let Dany know that Dragonstone was occupied? What exactly are the limits to his abilities? Is he really not going to do anything useful when he's basically able to see anywhere in the world?

Alan

Post by Alan » Mon May 06, 2019 5:23 pm

Man fuck this show. What a pile of ill thought out plot vomit. Script writers are just fishing jobbys out the shunky.
A man who could tell more truth and eat fewer pies.

Mantis
Landlord

Post by Mantis » Mon May 06, 2019 7:00 pm

I've mulled over it a bit and I think that was actually worse than last week.

eny

Post by eny » Mon May 06, 2019 8:21 pm

Just fucking dire, primary school level, ditch water plot writing now... Just what the actual fuck?
Everything on the internet is 100% true.

– Abraham Lincoln
˙ƃuıʇıɹʍ ʎuıʇ ʎllɐǝɹ uʍop ǝpısdn

Alan

Post by Alan » Tue May 07, 2019 5:07 am

From what we know of Cersei what do you think she would do if she had the Dragon Queen, a very small retinue and her dragon sitting still in front of at least 4 ballista and 50 or so archers?

](*,)

Wrathbone
Local

Post by Wrathbone » Tue May 07, 2019 6:06 am

Drink some wine and find a relative to fuck?

Raid
Local

Post by Raid » Tue May 07, 2019 6:09 am

I'm pretty sure the intention was that Dany's contingent were supposed to be outside of the maximum range of those weapons, though I appreciate the ballistae were shown to have an enormous range in a previous scene. I think they wanted to have the series end with a big fight on a real set, but the set turned out to not be large enough. I hope they're going to CG in the rest of King's Landing in the next two episodes, because it looked like a small fort rather than capital of the Seven Kingdoms.

eny

Post by eny » Tue May 07, 2019 6:28 am

...at this point we're all just watching to finish the damn show. What a disappointment. What a waste.
Thats about the sum of it.....
Everything on the internet is 100% true.

– Abraham Lincoln
˙ƃuıʇıɹʍ ʎuıʇ ʎllɐǝɹ uʍop ǝpısdn

Alan

Post by Alan » Tue May 07, 2019 7:08 am

Raid wrote:
Tue May 07, 2019 6:09 am
I'm pretty sure the intention was that Dany's contingent were supposed to be outside of the maximum range of those weapons,
Looked to be about 50feet! I guess it’s not just map scale they’ve buggered recently!

I hope they're going to CG in the rest of King's Landing in the next two episodes, because it looked like a small fort rather than capital of the Seven Kingdoms.
Yeah I was getting a distinct “I fart in your general direction “ vibe.