Document your Documentary viewing.

Small Screen. Bigger Screen.
Alan

Document your Documentary viewing.

Post by Alan » Wed May 22, 2019 9:45 am

Sometimes nothing beats a good well made documentary. Share what youve watched and what you recommend.

Off the top of my head to get started....

The Babushkas Of Chernobyl (Prime)
This is sweet, lovely and sad. Its about the elderly people that snuck back to their homes within the contaminated zone. Theyre all such great characters and their way of life is so interesting. Even more so is how they are still supported by the government even though they are technically breaking the law by living there. Also has a small section on people that play Stalker then walk to Prypyat.

Evil Genius (Netflix)
A chap robs a bank with a bomb around his neck. He says hes being forced to and if he doesnt the bomb will go off. The police stop him down there street where the bomb eventually explodes killing him. From there the story just goes batshit, more twists and turns that most far fetched movies but its all reality. Its a good watch.

Who Took Johnny? (netflix)
Johnny Gosch is abducted on his paper route in 1982 and isnt seen again for many years (if at all). In a story of paedophillia that goes right up to people in power and possibly even higher if you read a bit beyond what the documentary covers that I'm sure was cut to avoid lawsuits. Its as fascinating as it is horrible. Slipknot where right, people=shit. Johnny was also the first kid to be printed on a milk carton.

The Staircase (netflix)
Yeah I dont think we need to summarise that one do we? S'good.

Mommy Dead And Dearest (not on streaming platforms as far as I know)
The insane story of Gypsy Rose Blanchard killing her mother. One of the more famous Munchausen By Proxy cases.

The Disappearance Of Madeleine McCann (netflix)
Its interesting if a bit boring at times. Its also infuriating how fucking stupid the parents are if they had nothing to do with it. Utter morons. Also the media are just shit as if that needed to be said.

Amanda Knox (netflix)
Its not the most interesting but its informative and certainly is an other good eyeopener at how shit news media is.
I used to be eVoL but I got better.
I like everything now.

Sly Boots
Bar Staff

Re: Document your Documentary viewing.

Post by Sly Boots » Wed May 22, 2019 10:04 am

In addition to the above, would say that Abducted in Plain Sight and Fyre, are both worth a watch and both on Netflix.

The Ted Bundy Tapes, or whatever it's called, is really good as well.

Wrathbone

Post by Wrathbone » Wed May 22, 2019 11:02 am

I've always had a soft spot for the Star Wars Episode 1 hour-long making-of documentary:

Regardless of what you think of the film, it's a superb insight into film-making and also gives some context as to how some of the more bewildering aspects came to pass. The fear in the eyes of the people round George Lucas when he's discussing Jar Jar is palpable.

Sly Boots
Bar Staff

Post by Sly Boots » Wed May 22, 2019 11:04 am

Wrathbone wrote:
Wed May 22, 2019 11:02 am
The fear in the eyes of the people round George Lucas when he's discussing Jar Jar is palpable.
:lol:

Does it touch at all upon what happened to Jake Lloyd afterwards? I felt really sorry for the poor kid reading about all the shit he went through and subsequent mental health issues.

Wrathbone

Post by Wrathbone » Wed May 22, 2019 11:15 am

No, that was a terrible turn of events. It's very much focused on the making of the film itself - there's no talking heads stuff or anything like that. Everything is just footage from various areas and stages of the process, from storyboarding to post-production.

Hatredsheart

Post by Hatredsheart » Wed May 22, 2019 11:26 am

Our Planet, if that fits in the documentary genre. Excellent viewing.
I've seen some reviews saying it's too preachy on climate change but truth hurts I suppose.
Formerly Dr@gon-UK, but still the Forum Fossil
"A society grows great when old men plant trees, the shade of which they know they will never sit in "

DjchunKfunK
Bar Staff

Post by DjchunKfunK » Thu May 23, 2019 10:33 am

Behind the Curve

A flat Earth documentary that is an interesting watch and touches on why these things are so dangerous.

Strudel

Post by Strudel » Thu May 23, 2019 1:26 pm

Do you mean Behind the Curve? If it's the one on Netflix, yeah I thought that was quite interesting. Those people are all completely bonkers.

I'll put a second vote behind Fyre as well. It was like watching a car crash; I had no sympathy for any people who appeared in that documentary - from the main organisers, their staff, the punters... all a bunch of complete cockwombles who deserved everything they got.

The Amanda Knox documentary I was less impressed by; it's incredibly biased and distorts some of the details (particularly around the trial) to make her sound innocent, when it was far from clear in real life.

To add to the list:

Icarus A really interesting insight into the issue of doping in sport. I have zero interest in sport and this all seems rather stupid to me, but it's a well told and compelling story.

Going Clear - Everyone knows that Scientology is bananas but that doesn't make this any less enjoyable and interesting to see.

Get Me Roger Stone. An insight into the mind and horrors of a Trumpian arsehole.