The Witcher - The Netflix Series

Small Screen. Bigger Screen.
Medicine Man
Bar Staff

Re: The Witcher - The Netflix Series

Post by Medicine Man » Wed Jan 05, 2022 2:36 pm

Medicine Man wrote:
Wed Jan 08, 2020 4:10 pm
The Scottish accent in the 6th episode was particularly woeful. How hard can it be to cast a wee baldy Scottish guy with a beard?! I know dozens of them.
I see this dude rears his shiny head again in series 2. Fuck me, that's an accent so bad its bordering on a war crime. What worse is that the producers thought the guy nailed it so hard the first time round they brought him back for the 2nd series. Dearie me. ](*,)

Sly Boots
Bar Staff

Post by Sly Boots » Fri Jan 21, 2022 11:13 pm

Watched 5 of 8 episodes, and I'm starting to reach the conclusion I'm not liking this as much as I should in theory. Cavill is great, but beyond him I'm increasingly frustrated how little of the material from the books they're actually using. 10%, maybe? It's not like there isn't much source material (there's loads) or that it isn't good (it's great), so I'm left baffled why they've ditched so much of it and made up their own bollocks instead.

Spoiler
what's all this monoliths bullshit? Who gives a shit? Using Ciri's blood to make more witchers... what? Yennefer visiting some weird witch lady in visions to get back her powers (which I don't recall her ever losing)... wtf? Yennefer and Cahir teaming up... huh?
But the worst thing of all is, it's frequently quite boring.

I really hope they start to get their act together, or I can see me bailing on this soon.

Medicine Man
Bar Staff

Post by Medicine Man » Sat Jan 22, 2022 12:17 pm

It’s frequently quite boring should be the box quote. If I didn’t have an existing interest in the Witcher world already I’d say it was quite shit unfortunately.

Sly Boots
Bar Staff

Post by Sly Boots » Sat Jan 22, 2022 12:27 pm

Medicine Man wrote:
Sat Jan 22, 2022 12:17 pm
It’s frequently quite boring should be the box quote. If I didn’t have an existing interest in the Witcher world already I’d say it was quite shit unfortunately.
Starting to reach that conclusion, yeah. I feel a bit sorry for Henry Cavill - he's passionate about the franchise and nails the character, but everything around him is letting the side down.

Animalmother
Local

Post by Animalmother » Sat Jan 22, 2022 12:33 pm

I actually fell asleep during the last episode and had to go back and rewatch most of it. Overall it was good but it just doesn't explain the world very well, most of the time I felt like I must have missed something from a previous episode (but didn't). Then I find out half the shit in it was created for the tv show and isn't in the books or game. If I had to explain the main plot point with Nilfgaard I don't think I could.

Another thing that annoyed me was I couldn't hear what was being said a fair few times, the sound design is pretty terrible in places.
Spoiler
That bit at the end with all the kings sitting around a table while it was pissing rain, couldn't hear a fucking word one guy in particular was saying

Maturin

Post by Maturin » Sat Jan 22, 2022 1:26 pm

I adored season 1, I don't think they could have made a better introductory televised portrayal.

But yeah I think they've lost their way a bit here. Almost all S1 episodes were simply great fun individually, regardless of the story arc going on. They've lost some of that fun factor.

Snowy
Local

Post by Snowy » Sat Jan 22, 2022 3:24 pm

Sly Boots wrote:
Sat Jan 22, 2022 12:27 pm
Medicine Man wrote:
Sat Jan 22, 2022 12:17 pm
Starting to reach that conclusion, yeah. I feel a bit sorry for Henry Cavill - he's passionate about the franchise and nails the character, but everything around him is letting the side down.
I am glad others feel that way, I was holding off posting because I was worried about being seen as 'that guy'. I found it quite badly divorced from the subject matter and as others have said, pretty boring in a good many places. Cavill is great, but they need to fix everything else.
RCHD wrote:Snowy is my favourite. He's a metal God.
08/10/2003 - 17/08/2018
10501 :-({|=

Mantis
Landlord

Post by Mantis » Sat Jan 22, 2022 3:27 pm

I haven't played the games or read the books so my experience of it is exclusively through the show. I enjoyed season 2 but the stronger emphasis on the dramatic main story arc did detract somewhat from the more fun little side romps that Geralt got up to in the first season.

Lenny Solidus

Re: General TV News

Post by Lenny Solidus » Sat Oct 29, 2022 7:12 pm

Henry Cavill stepping down as Geralt come Season 4...

Building the future, and keeping the past alive - are one and the same thing.

Raid
Local

Re: General TV News

Post by Raid » Sun Oct 30, 2022 10:21 am

Liam Hemsworth will be playing Geralt from season 4 of Netflix's The Witcher.

I'm a little disappointed to be honest; Cavill has been one of the best things about this series, and it's rare that I'm a fan of a major cast change half way through a series.

Sly Boots
Bar Staff

Post by Sly Boots » Sun Oct 30, 2022 11:10 am

Welp, there's goes the last reason to watch the Witcher...

Wrathbone
Local

Post by Wrathbone » Sun Oct 30, 2022 12:48 pm

I saw something the other day suggesting that some of the writers on the series actively dislike the Witcher books and games, so I wonder if that’s convinced him to go.

Sly Boots
Bar Staff

Post by Sly Boots » Sun Oct 30, 2022 12:59 pm

Wrathbone wrote:
Sun Oct 30, 2022 12:48 pm
I saw something the other day suggesting that some of the writers on the series actively dislike the Witcher books and games
This would actually explain so much

Hatredsheart

Post by Hatredsheart » Sun Oct 30, 2022 1:06 pm

Wrathbone wrote:
I saw something the other day suggesting that some of the writers on the series actively dislike the Witcher books and games, so I wonder if that’s convinced him to go.
I understand there's more Man of Steel movies incoming so maybe there's not time for both.
Formerly Dr@gon-UK, but still the Forum Fossil

𝕯𝖔𝖓'𝖙 𝖋𝖊𝖆𝖗 𝕿𝖍𝖊 𝕽𝖊𝖆𝖕𝖊𝖗

Snowy
Local

Post by Snowy » Sun Oct 30, 2022 1:22 pm

Wrathbone wrote:
Get new writers then. If you are making a show based upon a series of books (and probably influenced by the characters in the games too), then you need to base the fucking show on what has proven so fucking popular rather than think a bunch of wannabe writers can do better which they inevitably can't. And yes Wheel of Time and Rings of Power I am looking at you.

Ah well, season 2 was pretty fucking awful with Cavill the only saving grace. I am not sure I have the patience to do another season unless they sort the screenplay out majorly for S3, so Liam Who may well inherit a show I no longer have an interest in.
RCHD wrote:Snowy is my favourite. He's a metal God.
08/10/2003 - 17/08/2018
10501 :-({|=