The Last Of Us

Small Screen. Bigger Screen.
Alan

Re: The Last Of Us

Post by Alan » Sun Feb 19, 2023 10:25 am

Just watched the first ep and I'm quite meh on the whole thing. Its not bad but I feel they went overboard on things that didnt need to be so bombastic and the extra pre infection section just seemed pointless. I'm not hooked but I'm not "omg, give me ep 2!!".

So far Dead Of Alive has nothing to fear about losing its crown as best game adaption ¬_¬
A man who could tell more truth and eat fewer pies.

Sly Boots
Bar Staff

Post by Sly Boots » Sun Feb 19, 2023 10:32 am

Alan wrote:
Sun Feb 19, 2023 10:25 am
Just watched the first ep and I'm quite meh on the whole thing. Its not bad but I feel they went overboard on things that didnt need to be so bombastic and the extra pre infection section just seemed pointless. I'm not hooked but I'm not "omg, give me ep 2!!".

So far Dead Of Alive has nothing to fear about losing its crown as best game adaption ¬_¬
Episode 3 is absolutely sublime imho.

Hatredsheart

Post by Hatredsheart » Sun Feb 19, 2023 12:03 pm

Sly Boots wrote:
Sun Feb 19, 2023 10:32 am
Alan wrote:
Sun Feb 19, 2023 10:25 am

Episode 3 is absolutely sublime imho.
It really is.
Formerly Dr@gon-UK, but still the Forum Fossil

𝕯𝖔𝖓'𝖙 𝖋𝖊𝖆𝖗 𝕿𝖍𝖊 𝕽𝖊𝖆𝖕𝖊𝖗

Maturin

Post by Maturin » Fri Mar 03, 2023 10:54 am

wow, I'm absolutely loving this show. Brilliantly written and the performances by the leads are great. I never played the games so I don't have any baggage or expectations whatsoever. It's no surprise to find Craig Mazin is responsible, although I believe the game writer also co-wrote some of the episodes for TV.

Tbh I've been pretty disappointed with a few big-budget, hyped TV series in recent times so I've been very happy to see one as good as this.

Snowy
Local

Post by Snowy » Mon Mar 06, 2023 7:57 am

We have also just started watching this - really enjoying it. I have played the first game but got stuck reasonably early on and gave up on it, so much of it is new to me. Episode 3 came out of nowhere, not at all what I was expecting but what an episode.
RCHD wrote:Snowy is my favourite. He's a metal God.
08/10/2003 - 17/08/2018
10501 :-({|=

Raid
Local

Post by Raid » Wed Mar 08, 2023 9:49 pm

I too have started watching this week, and have watched the third episode this evening, my reaction for which was much the same as Snowy's. It's a gloriously lavish production, the type that HBO do really well. There's a brief scene in the second episode where they enter a partially submerged hotel, and I can't imagine most productions would actually build a set they could flood for what was a largely throwaway moment.

I know this isn't unique to TLOU, but I love that TV programmes don't stick rigidly to runtime limits nowadays (the benefit of being produced for streaming services I guess) - episode 3 was 15-20 minutes longer than 2, and I'm not convinced it would have had the same impact had they rushed through that story.

Raid
Local

Post by Raid » Wed Mar 22, 2023 7:39 pm

Finished this today. I think it's about 70% phenomenal, while a couple of episodes were merely good. The cast's great, but Bella Ramsay is very much the standout. I like Pedro Pascal as Joel, but Ellie's a more interesting and sympathetic character who has to deal with new horrors to Joel's more jaded outlook. She's totally convincing and a great casting choice. There were at least 4 episodes that got me a bit weepy eyed, with one episode ending in such a way that I think I basically sat slightly shell shocked in my darkened living room for a minute after the credits rolled. I think the biggest compliment I can give it is that it's got me interested in the release of the first game's remake, having played earlier editions and that I know I didn't really get on with.

Oh, and bravo to them giving both original Ellie and Joel, Ashley Johnson and Troy Baker, minor but not insignificant roles. Usually in projects like this they might get a blink-and-you'll-miss-it background part in one shot.

Maturin

Post by Maturin » Wed Mar 22, 2023 8:38 pm

Yeah, I finished it last week and was massively impressed by it all. I struggled to fault it to be honest, I can't remember the last time that happened with a hyped TV show. Plus it was all wrapped up so well at the end (although I know the story does continue in the games). Everything, everybody's actions, they all just made sense and rang true.

I could have happily sat through an extra couple of episodes of Joel & Ellie travelling together during the season though - perhaps my only minor criticism? TV shows often drag out too little story over too many episodes, but it's kinda the opposite here. Really charming on-screen duo, both perfectly played by Pedro and Bella.

I'm almost slightly dreading season 2, since I reckon there's no way they're going to come close to topping that. And even though I haven't played the games, I'm well aware Part2 massively divides opinion compared to the universally loved Part1.

Sly Boots
Bar Staff

Post by Sly Boots » Wed Mar 22, 2023 10:34 pm

Thought it was great. If I have one criticism, it's that I was left wanting more... not further story so much as extra fleshing-out of what story there was. Nowhere was that more pronounced than the final episode which, at 20 minutes shorter than the other episodes, flew by too quickly. Stuff like the city of survivors (forget which it was, Kansas?) which obviously had a lot of backstory to tell and some strong characters, which was over almost before we'd had a chance to care about what happened to any of them. At only 9 episodes it feels like they could have stretched it to 10 and just dedicated a bit more screen time to certain storylines and characters.

Will look forward to season 2! :)

Animalmother
Local

Post by Animalmother » Sun Mar 26, 2023 12:39 am

Finished it tonight and it's now the gold standard of adapting one media to another. They kept the main story but changed enough to make it it's own thing. My main criticism is the last episode should have been a feature length, was over way too quickly to get the gravitas of the events.

Season 2 should be interesting as the second game is an emotional soul crusher from start to finish. The things they make you see and do...

Raid
Local

Post by Raid » Sun Mar 26, 2023 8:24 am

That's the thing I forgot to ask; did season one cover the story up to the end of the first game?

Animalmother
Local

Post by Animalmother » Sun Mar 26, 2023 11:34 am

They got the main beats of the game plot and that's pretty much how it ends. The last bits of dialogue are taken directly from the game. The more I think of it the more they rushed that last episode, it almost feels like an anticlimax.

As mentioned above I love how the game voice actors of Joel, Ellie, Tommy and Marlene all got parts in the show.

Raid
Local

Post by Raid » Sun Mar 26, 2023 11:42 am

I felt the same way about the finale, it was one of the two episodes I thought were a bit of a miss, but that was partially because episode 8 was so strong I think.

Hatredsheart

Post by Hatredsheart » Thu Dec 07, 2023 5:42 pm

Formerly Dr@gon-UK, but still the Forum Fossil

𝕯𝖔𝖓'𝖙 𝖋𝖊𝖆𝖗 𝕿𝖍𝖊 𝕽𝖊𝖆𝖕𝖊𝖗

Sly Boots
Bar Staff

Post by Sly Boots » Thu Dec 07, 2023 5:49 pm

Damn, a little disappointed it's so far off tbh :(